Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It you want to report an issue and/or get help with troubleshooting, don't hesitate and report it on support.baldursgate.com , - the QA team are trying their best to help players who encounter problems there.
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Heya. I've just witnessed my protagonist being Dire Charmed (by Sil and her sirines) when under the effects of Potion of Clarity. Quite puzzling, that is.

I double-checked the item description (protection against Charm is indeed listed there) and afterwards tested the issue repeatedly. The result remains the same - a failed saving throw vs spell results in being charmed despite the PoC. Therefore it would seem that, at least in my install (v2.3 + SCS), the potion effect does not work properly.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour before?

Many thanks!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Grond0 - Would you happen to know the ticket number on the public tracker?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Yes @semiticgod I agree - that is clearly a bug and a reload is allowed. But Grond0 is correct, as he's done number tests confirming that's how it works in EE.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    @AndreaColombo sorry, I can't immediately find it. However, I remember @JuliusBorisov putting the reference in a post not too long ago and he's a wizard at linking to things - so hopefully he'll be able to help (pretty please).
    @Grond0 Many thanks! It's true that sometimes I didn't have to take the save - that would correspond to the part of the round in which the immunity was in place.
    You're welcome @Borco. Re @semiticgod's comment I don't actually know the exact mechanism used to provide the charm, but I remember someone suggesting that partial spell immunity didn't work in the engine and this is the way they got round it. Irrespective of the nature of the fix though, at present it doesn't work properly and is particularly ill-suited to no-reload play . On that topic I entirely agree you're entitled to a reload by the way. Under my personal rules, I don't reload for a bug that can be worked around (about the only one I would reload for is the one that ends the game as a result of all the character portraits disappearing), but I'm funny that way ;).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The bug report is missing on the public tracker, but the issue is logged into the internal tracker. @Borco you can report it on the public tracker, so that the problem could be linked to the internal tracker. If you don't want to report it, just say and I'll do it for you.
    Just a note - I appreciate your opinion regarding the allowed re-load, however, I don't feel like continuing the run at this moment (the death happened just before Slythe). I'll post what's left in the thread.

@JuliusBorisov Thank for noting that. That would be very appreciated. I can do it myself tomorrow though.
    edited October 2017
    @semiticgod what installation did you test that on and is there anything else that needs to be done (such as saving and restarting the game)? I tried installing in BGEE, but it doesn't prevent chunking for me - I've tried in both new and saved games and with both my own created characters and NPCs.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Grond0 he said you had to create a scroll and use on each party member - then the protection would be active. Did you do that?
    Yep.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: Currently I'm working with EET, with a bunch of mods installed using BWS. "Gore" on, Core difficulty. Could you look up your characters in EEKeeper and see if they have one or more "Disable Permanent Death" effects in the "Effects" tab? The constant value of that opcode should be 1.

Both Tresset's fix and the SCS component rely on that opcode. From what I can tell, everything revolves around that one effect.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Tested it on a clean, unmodded install. Confirmed. Even after multiple iterations, Tresset's fix prevents chunkings that are otherwise guaranteed.

Without the fix:

With the fix:
    OK. I see what the difference is. The disable permanent death only works when "Gore" is set to on - that doesn't change what's shown in the Effects tab, but does prevent chunking. That seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, but never mind.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    I have installed the Moravon's Hammer kit and it appears to work fine. I then used EE Keeper to change my small portrait and it doesn't recognise the spell b_mor02.spl, yet it is in the over-ride folder. I get similar problems with other kits. Can anyone explain why EE Keeper doesn't recognise these spells and hopefully suggest an answer to the problem?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Do you have the latest EEKeeper version ?
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited October 2017
    Arctodus said:

Do you have the latest EEKeeper version ?

Perhaps not. I'll get the latest. I hadn't. I had EEKeeper 1.0.3.5 not EEKeeper 1.0.4.0. It now works. Thanks.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Although now I'm curious whether other RNG rolls are similarly affected, like to hit rolls and save rolls. I suppose I might try to keep a running tally of them either after I wipe or defeat Melissan, one or the other.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Thanks to this amazing community, another difficult-to-reproduce bug has been reported. The game indeed sometimes unexpectedly finishes (the main character dies without a reason). I have managed to repro this bug (although before now I have never experienced it).

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32843

This is one of the many testimonies you are all awesome!

Just continue to stay as awesome as you are, and we'll catch them (bugs) all!

I have had this numerous times and could never figure out why. I would most definitely be glad to see it resolved as I could never figure out why. Glad you got a report on it as I was not even sure how to reproduce it as it quite random and happened in various different places. It happen quite a few times if firebombing an enemy from a distance, but sometimes just walking around, inside, outside, etc.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64178/instant-death-game-overs-for-no-reason#latest
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,355
    Hi everybody.
    I am currently playing a dwarven fighter/cleric and I am concerned about being stunned. Stun is a great disabler, but I hate to see it against me without protection. The mad cleric at the docks held me, and only a vast HP pool saved me then..

Free action doesnt work against stun - it isnt mentioned in the description. But what does? Items, spells or just luck?

Br SvB

Btw the game isnt modded
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 943
    edited October 2017
    @Grond0 : I should've clarified my intent - I was talking about what I'd call hard disable or instant death effects, something that will make you lose control of your character or lose you the game (which is often the same thing) - you can generally just run away while blinded, level drained or silenced and heal yourself while diseased or poisoned. Your mention of free action does remind me of slow, though - which isn't a hard disable, but hard enough if going invisble isn't an option and you can't get rid of it.
    When it comes to polymorph, I'm honestly not sure. I don't think I've ever gotten a party member polymorphed before, but I can imagine it's akin to losing control? Can you still move around as usual and get to safety? Well, at least it's propably not going to be a concern in the vanilla game, as I don't know of any opponent who will use it (unless you start casting spells in wild magic zones, I think I may have seen it happening there, but I could be wrong).

Edit: Now I've also remembered Web and Stinking Cloud, I don't think CC works against either of them and they're what I'd call hard disable
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Chaotic commands protects against Mindflayer stuns, but not stuns in general if i recall correctly. There are 3 major Stun threats in BG2: Mindflayers, blocked by CC, Kuo Toan and Drow with situnning bolts, blocked by the Reflection Shield or Physical Mirror, and PW:Stun, blocked by 90+ HP