Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Bread and circuses?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The eminent domain lawsuits are already starting:

A consumer advocacy group filed the first lawsuit late Friday challenging President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration, suing on behalf of Texas landowners and an environmental group who say they'll be affected by border wall construction.

The case, filed by Public Citizen in federal district court in Washington, DC, is the first of what are expected to be multiple lawsuits challenging Trump's unprecedented decision to declare a national emergency in order to access $3.6 billion in military construction funds to pay for more sections of the wall he promised to build along the US–Mexico border.

The three landowners who are plaintiffs in the case said they were told by the federal government that sections of the wall would be built through their properties if funding became available in 2019 — they each said they'd received letters from Customs and Border Protection asking to come on their land to do an assessment. The other plaintiff, the Frontera Audubon Society, is located on a nature preserve in Texas and focuses its preservation efforts on the Rio Grande valley, and they claim that habitat would be harmed by border wall construction.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2019
    Meanwhile, Occasio-Cortez is celebrating a great victory over evil Amazon. I think she's making plans on what to do with the $3 billion she just saved her state, except wait, that money doesn't exist. Guess nobody explained to her what a 'tax credit' is. She may have saved some money in incentives but cost NYC at least 25,000 jobs. Funny Virginia and Tennessee don't mind letting Amazon 'rob' them. Amateur hour...
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Occasio-Cortez is celebrating a great victory over evil Amazon. I think she's making plans on what to do with the $3 billion she just saved her state, except wait, that money doesn't exist. Guess nobody explained to her what a 'tax credit' is. She may have saved some money in incentives but cost NYC at least 25,000 jobs. Funny Virginia and Tennessee don't mind letting Amazon 'rob' them. Amateur hour...

The main point was that Amazon was going to get tax incentives (and no matter what you say, that is just HANDING them money) to build in New York City. Thus, NYC residents were going to be the ones footing the bill in taxes Amazon wouldn't have to pay, with absolutely no guarantee people from NYC would even be getting the jobs. And I have to ask, how in the hell is a "tax incentive" that is being carved out for a specific company anything less than corporate welfare??

Whoever got those jobs, New Yorkers or not, would have paid tons more tax money over the years than Amazon was getting in incentives. Well, the 'geniuses' in NYC can enjoy their nothing now. Too bad Detroit can't get back in the running...
    LadyRhian wrote: »

I'd post a link here, but I'm limited to 2 per day over the whole site.

Double-secret probation?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure it's been posted, didn't see it, but Trump said it wasn't an emergency during his emergency declaration. He said he didn't have to declare an emergency and the only reason he did was to build his stupid wall quicker.

No serious judge or person in general should take this clown as telling the truth about anything.

The main point was that Amazon was going to get tax incentives (and no matter what you say, that is just HANDING them money) to build in New York City. Thus, NYC residents were going to be the ones footing the bill in taxes Amazon wouldn't have to pay, with absolutely no guarantee people from NYC would even be getting the jobs. And I have to ask, how in the hell is a "tax incentive" that is being carved out for a specific company anything less than corporate welfare??

And those 25,000 people can enjoy the sweat shop conditions in Amazon warehouses:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-workers-share-their-horror-stories-2018-4

It never fails to amaze me just how many companies literally don't even allow you to take 3-5 minutes to TAKE A PISS without it destroying your metrics. I know because I had the same problem at the job I quickly abandoned prior to my current one. Nevermind that it was backbreaking. The worst part was that even something as simple as filling up my water bottle or taking a 60 second trip to the urinal could ruin your stats for the day. Not surprisingly, I learned before I left they have a nearly 80% turnover rate.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in a shit job like that? You sound like a pretty intelligent guy to me.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited February 2019

Whoever got those jobs, New Yorkers or not
    This is exactly why the tax incentives were indefensible, and exactly why AOC was right to oppose them. All you're doing is paying a company to set up shop in one state instead of another state. That's not spending taxpayer dollars to promote business; that's spending taxpayer dollars to steal jobs from other states.
    semiticgod wrote: »

Whoever got those jobs, New Yorkers or not
    This is exactly why the tax incentives were indefensible, and exactly why AOC was right to oppose them. All you're doing is paying a company to set up shop in one state instead of another state. That's not spending taxpayer dollars to promote business; that's spending taxpayer dollars to steal jobs from other states.

Virginia's not complaining. Neither is Tennessee last I heard. Like I said, they can enjoy their glorious 'victory', just not with new tax revenues...
    Nepotism it's awful in private companies and in the federal government. Looking at you Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump.
    edited February 2019
    I keep forgetting this, but it's well-worth pointing out. Trump has only had a single portion of the government not be in his party's control for roughly 6 weeks. The VERY FIRST time he didn't get what he wanted, he shut down the government for over a month. Now, he has just decided to cut them out of the process altogether. This is not the result of, say, 6 years of constant bad faith (see almost the entire Obama Administration). It's a SINGLE issue, with a disagreement with a Congress that hasn't even been in power for 2 full months. If these are his reactions to the very first hint of pushback on his policies, what is he going to do the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times he doesn't get his way?? This would be like if your child tried to set the house on fire the first time you gave them a strict bedtime. The REAL national emergency Trump and the Republicans think is occuring is that Democrats won the House. They don't view liberal governance as legitimate in any form. Trump went back to the same line I've been hearing for over 15 years today, which is that "real Americans" agree with him. What is the recourse for the left in this country when even winning elections isn't enough and the President thinks anyone who opposes him is not a citizen worthy of respect, but an enemy?? My main problem with the Republican Party is no longer even their policies, even though I hate almost all of them. My main issue is that I truly don't think they believe in democracy anymore. You can only throw even the most BASIC ideas set forth in the Constitution (like Presidents being able to name Supreme Court picks and Congress controlling how money is spent) in the shredder before I have no choice but to conclude that is the case.

Obama was very, very close to losing everything on the ACA in his first-term when Ted Kennedy died and Republican Scott Brown won the special election for his seat. If that had come to pass, if one Senate vote had went against him, do you have ANY idea what would have happened if he had decided to declare a national emergency to implement it?? The response from not only Republicans, but the national press in general would have been nothing short of nuclear. It would have been a Category 5 political hurricane that would have almost certainly gotten him impeached. But today?? It's just your average Friday in Trump world. The press is basically acting like this is somehow normal behavior we should be "discussing" instead of treating it like the obvious destruction of norms it is. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

But I suppose the most obvious hypothetical parallel would have been if, after the Newtown massacre, Obama had declared a national emergency in regards to guns and ordered the military to start confiscating semi-automatic firearms. Such a move would have been viewed by many as nothing less than a declaration of Civil War. Those same people, today, are welcoming a precedent that opens the door for the this very type of thing the next time a Democrat takes the office.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Quickblade wrote: »
    To quote myself on a yahoo article.
    At this point, we have had Nuremberg-like political rallies. We have declared an entire religion persona non-grata (and working to making ALL religions but one inferior according to law). We have made concentration camps for the children of one class of people. Now we've just had our Reichstag fire, with Trump saying Congress doesn't matter and we're in a state of emergency and he's going to bypass them.

Exactly how many parallels have to be drawn between Trump and Hitler before we decide enough is enough? When we're invading and annexing Mexico to put down "the drug problem"?

Trump did, in his mostly incoherent rambling this morning, seem to advocate for the summary execution of drug dealers. He has previously praised Duterte on the subject, now he is praising the Chinese for the same.
    edited February 2019
    Quickblade wrote: »
    To quote myself on a yahoo article.

At this point, we have had Nuremberg-like political rallies. We have declared an entire religion persona non-grata (and working to making ALL religions but one inferior according to law). We have made concentration camps for the children of one class of people. Now we've just had our Reichstag fire, with Trump saying Congress doesn't matter and we're in a state of emergency and he's going to bypass them.

Exactly how many parallels have to be drawn between Trump and Hitler before we decide enough is enough? When we're invading and annexing Mexico to put down "the drug problem"?

Many parallels exist.

Yes this Reichstag fire power grab is just the latest one.

Hitler had the lying press, trump has "fake news"

Hitler was elected democratically with a minority of the vote, just like Trump.

Obviously hitler kept an enemies list and installed people in government that were loyal to himself over the country, just like Trump does.

Both are fake patriots, pretending that they and their ideals alone represent patriotism and everyone else that doesn't share their values is not a patriot. For trump it's "Conservative values" (which to him means loyalty to trump), for Hitler it was Nazi values.

Hitler didn't start out gassing jews and invading other countries - he worked his way up to it. Trump is working his way up to further bad behavior and government breaking actions.

Who'd have foreseen two years ago keeping kids in cages and losing them and not giving a shit about it. Who'd have foreseen phony emergencies and attempted coup by tweet of foreign countries - Iran and Venezuela which is seemingly being backed up by actual mustering of forces and logistics in both cases. Who would have thought America's highest official would prefer the company of Putin, Duetere, MBS, Un, Ergodan and other dictators over our allies? Who would have thought our President would prefer Putin's analysis over his own intelligence services?

Yes it's a slippery slope we've been on. Mitch McConnell and Republicans have been greasing the hill as we've been sliding down it. There is a point of no return. We're zooming along right towards it right now.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Whoever got those jobs, New Yorkers or not, would have paid tons more tax money over the years than Amazon was getting in incentives. Well, the 'geniuses' in NYC can enjoy their nothing now. Too bad Detroit can't get back in the running...

To recover $3,000,000,000 in tax incentives, the 25,000 jobs would need to generate $120,000 in new taxes, each. Let's assume those 25,000 jobs pay $50,000 each. For a NYC resident, the personal income tax would be $1,800. NYC has a total sales tax rate of 8.875%, assuming $25k of spending per year subject to sales taxes, that's another $2,200 in tax revenue, for a total of $4k per year per job. At that rate, it will take 30 years to recoup the $3,000,000,000 in tax incentives.

So, unless you're talking about 50-year returns (by which time, Amazon could move again or be bankrupt), I don't see NYC getting "tons more tax money over the years".

It also starts a me too movement, where other companies will either threaten to leave or refuse to open shop unless they get the same deal Amazon did.

There is also this nice tidbit:

Cherise Burda, executive director of the Ryerson City Building Institute, said Amazon’s competition backfired, in part, because New York City is already, as Toronto is, booming economically.
    “The challenges we face from all that growth are things like affordable housing and transit,” Burda said. “We need the types of corporate head offices that will help us solve these challenges and contribute to the common good, rather than take precious tax dollars that we need to invest in all of our infrastructure and social services.” From here.
    Paul Manafort, a judge has now decided, willfully broke his plea deal with the Special Counsel, which could of at least given him a shot of getting out of jail while he is still alive. Now, since they have decided to recommend he serve anywhere from 20-25 years, that is simply not going to happen. Unless he is pardoned, Manafort is going to die in jail. But an expectation of a pardon cannot be the reason he so brazenly lied even AFTER striking the deal (and what he lied about was giving polling data to Kremlin agents). Who is really going to trust Donald Trump to the extent that they would put their freedom in his hands?? No, something else is at play here, and it's not just fear of what would happen in regards to reprisal from the White House. Whatever Manafort did during the campaign he won't come clean about is obviously so bad that if he actually decided to cooperate, someone was going to have him killed. It's the only explanation for why he would break this deal. He couldn't have possibly thought he wouldn't get caught.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    CNN dug up a Interview with Trump on "FOX and Friends" in 2014, where Trump called "Declaring a National Emergency" on immigration "dangerous, unconstitutional and impeachable". I Found it pretty amusing, in a sad way. Just showing one of his many faces, I suppose.
    edited February 2019
    There's always a tweet or video of him saying the opposite of whatever he's doing it saying on any given day. Complete hypocrite and a lying flip flopper.

It's a good time to be a lawyer since Nevada, California, the ACLU, El Paso, Congress and others are going to sue over Trump's fake emergency. And there's all the legal trouble he and his administration are in and all the other Constitutional infringements he has caused.

Yep good time to be a lawyer Trump's giving you plenty of work. Terrible waste of taxpayers money defending stupid decisions but personally a lot of lawyers are doing well especially with the tax cuts targeted at people like them who get paid several hundred dollars an hour.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,337
    edited February 2019
    deltago wrote: »

To recover $3,000,000,000 in tax incentives, the 25,000 jobs would need to generate $120,000 in new taxes, each. Let's assume those 25,000 jobs pay $50,000 each. For a NYC resident, the personal income tax would be $1,800. NYC has a total sales tax rate of 8.875%, assuming $25k of spending per year subject to sales taxes, that's another $2,200 in tax revenue, for a total of $4k per year per job. At that rate, it will take 30 years to recoup the $3,000,000,000 in tax incentives.

So, unless you're talking about 50-year returns (by which time, Amazon could move again or be bankrupt), I don't see NYC getting "tons more tax money over the years".

It also starts a me too movement, where other companies will either threaten to leave or refuse to open shop unless they get the same deal Amazon did.

There is also this nice tidbit:

Cherise Burda, executive director of the Ryerson City Building Institute, said Amazon’s competition backfired, in part, because New York City is already, as Toronto is, booming economically.
    “The challenges we face from all that growth are things like affordable housing and transit,” Burda said. “We need the types of corporate head offices that will help us solve these challenges and contribute to the common good, rather than take precious tax dollars that we need to invest in all of our infrastructure and social services.” From here.

I agree the decision not to offer tax incentives to Amazon seems extremely sensible. While there is a theoretical argument for tax competition within a country - that this helps shift resources to the most entrepreneurial areas and thus increases overall growth - it's extremely weak. In practice it's almost certain that there will be minimal extra tax revenue generated for the country as a whole through growth and that will fail to balance the lost incentives. As @AstroBryGuy sets out, even the location that's offering the incentives will usually be worse off economically - essentially this type of scheme is a 'look at me and how well I'm doing' promotion by public authorities rather than a genuine attempt to improve the economy. That's particularly the case in a situation like New York where there's no shortage of development already.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2019
    A tax break over time isn't spendable money that they are paying to Amazon. You aren't "giving away 3 billion dollars" and you can't just redistribute a tax break because you're not paying them money. AOC is brainless. Anyone else would have gotten pushback for these absurd statements but, whaddaya know, she gets another pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Oel5lVQAE
    To recover $3,000,000,000 in tax incentives, the 25,000 jobs would need to generate $120,000 in new taxes, each. Let's assume those 25,000 jobs pay $50,000 each.

The average salary would have been 150K for the Amazon Headquarters, so triple the speed of that recovery is more accurate. But higher tax brackets means higher tax rate right? I'd do the math but i'm too lazy.

Also New York is one of those states which levies its own personal corporate tax rate, so personal incomes of the employees isn't the whole picture.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/13/amazon-will-pay-hq2-employees-150000-dollars-that-goes-further-in-nashville.html

Also Cuomo said the tax benefits would have been in the field of 27 Billion, I don't have his numbers on hand to justify his statement, but I wish he would show them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/amazon-says-it-will-not-build-a-headquarters-in-new-york-after-mounting-opposition-reuters-reports.html
    Not wanting to offer a tax deal for a business is perfectly fine, of course. The state is certainly not obligated to provide it. The stated reasons are silly at best, however.
    edited February 2019
    @WarChiefZeke I don't see the stated reasons as silly at all. Here's a short article that explains the reasoning behind some of the arguments about the use of incentives to attract companies.

You're assuming in the above posts that the Amazon HQ would have been additional to whatever the economic activity would have been otherwise - that would not be the case. That area of New York is highly attractive for development, so it's almost certain that a different form of development would take place. It may well be that the salaries paid would be lower, but on the other hand it's also possible that the development would be more specific to New York and not drag in additional employees (potentially reducing pressure on infrastructure, easing the pressure on homes etc).

I think it is implausible that the extra tax revenue gained from parachuting in Amazon would have justified the tax breaks being offered even when just considering New York in isolation. For the country as a whole there's absolutely no possibility it would make sense - it's just a demonstration of a large, profitable, business trying to play politicians off against each other in order to reduce its true costs.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    @WarChiefZeke I don't see the stated reasons as silly at all. Here's a short article that explains the reasoning behind some of the arguments about the use of incentives to attract companies.

It doesn't explain the reasoning because that's not the reasoning. Jeffrey Dorfman's article from 2017 isn't relevant to AOC's entirely different- and silly- argument in 2019.

To put it another way, i'm not saying there are no good arguments for not giving out tax breaks. AOC didn't use any, least as far as I know.
    You're assuming in the above posts that the Amazon HQ would have been additional to whatever the economic activity would have been otherwise - that would not be the case. That area of New York is highly attractive for development, so it's almost certain that a different form of development would take place. It may well be that the salaries paid would be lower, but on the other hand it's also possible that the development would be more specific to New York and not drag in additional employees (potentially reducing pressure on infrastructure, easing the pressure on homes etc).

Not sure how and where you think I made that assumption. Was in it my criticism of AOC's statements?
    I think it is highly implausible that the extra tax revenue gained from parachuting in Amazon would have come even close to justifying the tax breaks being offered just considering New York in isolation. For the country as a whole there's absolutely no possibility it would make sense - it's just a demonstration of a large, profitable, business trying to play politicians off against each other in order to reduce its true costs.

That's clearly what's happening, Amazon has been shopping for the best deal and states make offers. It is their right to try to get the best deal for themselves and it's the states right to not make any deals.

But whether or not the tax breaks justify the revenue, I don't know. I do know Cuomo seems convinced that it will, AOC is convinced that it won't, her arguments are bad and the numbers seem to show that there would be a return after several years.

But i'd like to know the basis for why you think it would be highly implausible to make that money back. Cuomo's statement of a 27 billion surplus was based on a study done by his admin and it looks sound to me. What research has AOC done?

Only 64% of the revenue would come from the personal income taxes.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5115615-REMIAmazonReport.html
    edited February 2019

I think it is implausible that the extra tax revenue gained from parachuting in Amazon would have justified the tax breaks being offered even when just considering New York in isolation. For the country as a whole there's absolutely no possibility it would make sense - it's just a demonstration of a large, profitable, business trying to play politicians off against each other in order to reduce its true costs.

Your article deal mostly with Foxconn, which Trump and Scott Walker were personally involved in securing and used a surefire proof that right-wing economic policies and tax incentives were working. It has turned into an abject disaster. This is likely the bullet NYC is dodging. It was a complete scam, pushed endlessly by the President himself. An absolute boondoggle:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-06/inside-wisconsin-s-disastrous-4-5-billion-deal-with-foxconn

If we want to talk about passes, let's examine how much media coverage this and that Carrier plant in Indiana that Trump personally assured everyone would be saving jobs and then shipped them all to Mexico anyway a few months after he got into office. THIS is how American capitalism works in 2019:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a20066498/carrier-factory-donald-trump-jobs/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/carrier-employees-soon-to-be-laid-off-feel-betrayed-by-donald-trump

It doesn't explain the reasoning because that's not the reasoning. Jeffrey Dorfman's article from 2017 isn't relevant to AOC's entirely different- and silly- argument in 2019.

To put it another way, i'm not saying there are no good arguments for not giving out tax breaks. AOC didn't use any, least as far as I know.

Not sure how and where you think I made that assumption. Was in it my criticism of AOC's statements?

@WarChiefZeke thanks for posting the economic impact summary statement. I will look at that and respond, but it might take me a bit of time to consider it properly ;).

In relation to AOC, I suspect you were concentrating on a different aspect of her reasoning. The link you posted included 3 arguments:
    1) Ordinary people have shown they have more power than the richest man in the world.
    2) The subsidy to Amazon could have been used for more productive purposes.
    3) Amazon gave no guarantee about jobs for New Yorkers and it would be preferable to work with a company that wanted to invest in the local community.
    I agree that if you're looking at things in economic terms, then statement 1) could be described as silly (though she's obviously also considering how statements will come across politically). Statements 2) and 3) could only reasonably be described as silly if you believe the Amazon investment would clearly have been beneficial to New York (and I don't at the moment).

In relation to my statement you were assuming the Amazon development would be an addition to existing economic activity, that was because you were quoting higher salary figures and suggesting they would provide proportionally greater benefits than lower salary figures (as opposed to looking at the difference between the Amazon salaries and whatever other development would have been done instead to get at the net benefit).