Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is your nationality?

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
This is the third in a series of polls to measure the demographics of the Beamdog community (I was just curious). The poll is anonymous by default, but you're welcome to discuss the issue publicly if you like.

For the purposes of this poll, consider nationality to mean where you live, where you've lived most of your life, or which nation you owe loyalties to (if they're not all the same, pick whichever criteria are most important to you). Unlike the race/ethnicity poll, this is a function of location rather than your genetics.

The other polls are here:

Sex/Gender
Race/Ethnicity
Religion
Political Affiliation
  1. Demographics Poll: What is your nationality?111 votes
    1. North American (Mexico, Canada and the United States)
      38.74%
    2. South American
        3.60%
    3. Europe (UK, EU, and nearby countries)
      46.85%
    4. East Asian (China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and nearby countries)
        0.90%
    5. South Asian (India and nearby countries)
        0.90%
    6. Southeast Asian/Pacific Islander
        1.80%
    7. Australian/New Zealander
        2.70%
    8. African
        0.00%
    9. Middle Eastern (Arab and Persian states and Israel)
        0.00%
    10. Other (please specify)
        4.50%
Post edited by semiticgoddess on
lolienAdul

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Belarus is Europe, Russia is Asia. Might even save some time and use the landmass Eurasia as a whole instead. Less messy that way.

Gondwanarian here. Yeah, I'm old school like that.
    gorgonzola
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Middle North American
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Europe here, Poland in particular. Nothing more to say, really.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Norwegian.

Also, you might want to link to your previous polls in the main post.
    semiticgoddessGrond0Aedan
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    Brazil kkkk
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I come from a country that is finally getting recognized in a Civilization game:

sarevok57lolienDragonspearelminster
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

I've heard arguments that Russia qualifies as both an Asian state and a European state. Where would you guys place it?

European, both historically and culturally. Sure, it's the most eastern country in Europe, and sits atop of Ural, which is divisive line between two parts of the continent, but to the east of it is mostly just Siberia, where people call those living several hundreds of kilometers away close neighbours.
    semiticgoddessMirandellolien
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Whether the Russia is Asian country or European comes down to where the capital is. That's the general rule. Following that rule, Russia is an European country.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    US of A

Surprise, surprise!
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Westernmost tip of Europe here.

I'm extremely curious about who voted "other"... Do we have an Eskimo among us? :)
    MERLANCE
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    Hungarian and U.S.
    lolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Fun fact: I had to re-create this poll once because I forgot to include Canada as a North American country! It was just the U.S. and Mexico.
    ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Fun fact: I had to re-create this poll once because I forgot to include Canada as a North American country! It was just the U.S. and Mexico.

We are use to being looked over.
    semiticgoddessMirandel
  • civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57
    G'day mate.
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I wasn't the first person to vote other but I put it since I have dual English and New Zealander nationality. I suppose since I live in England, and have so for most of my life, I should put European, but it's just plain embarrassing identifying as English in these times :D
    smyth25 said:

I wasn't the first person to vote other but I put it since I have dual English and New Zealander nationality. I suppose since I live in England, and have so for most of my life, I should put European, but it's just plain embarrassing identifying as English in these times :D

That's the BS of it. We're supposed to feel bad about ourselves while Chinese, Japanese and Mongolians have all been oppressive at one time or another. How about Turkey/Ottoman Empire? What about Native American and African tribes that slaughtered each other throughout their history? What about the Arab slave trade? There's even a big difference among European powers in how they treated the people in their colonies. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have lived in a British, French or Dutch colony than a Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, or German colony.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellscriver
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Polish. I have some ukrainian ancestors, but I'm fully polonized.
    Balrog99 said:

smyth25 said:

That's the BS of it. We're supposed to feel bad about ourselves while Chinese, Japanese and Mongolians have all been oppressive at one time or another. How about Turkey/Ottoman Empire? What about Native American and African tribes that slaughtered each other throughout their history? What about the Arab slave trade? There's even a big difference among European powers in how they treated the people in their colonies. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have lived in a British, French or Dutch colony than a Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, or German colony.
    Some war crimes are indeed bigger than others, and not every empire was flat-out brutal to all of its subjects at all times. I think the answer is to just be aware that violence and oppression were common in premodern societies across the world, that it came from multiple offenders rather than one lone boogieman, and that there's a difference between our violent ancestors and their less-violent descendants.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Artona said:

Polish. I have some ukrainian ancestors, but I'm fully polonized.

Oh man, you missed a great chance to use the word 'Polarized' in a non-political (and non-electrical) framework!
    SilverstarThacoBell
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    well, my Father lived in a house abandoned by Ukrainians and my Mother in the house (more like a hut, doh) abandoned by Jews, so I am totally polarized, I dare to say.

ps. abandoned is a euphemism in this case. My grandparents had experienced in their actual lifes quite a lot of the stuff you are talking about above.

but I just must say one quite important thing. Nationality is not really about nation, it is more about religion - in the sense that nationality is defined by religion. Example - catholic=Poland, orthodox=Russia.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Dutch Indonesian... Living in the Netherlands so I guess theoretically I should vote Europe.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I refuse to call European a nationality, now and forever.

It's my continentality, nothing else. Hell, most Swedes don't even consider Scandinavia part of the continent.
    semiticgoddessBalrog99Skatanlolien
    scriver said:

It's my continentality, nothing else. Hell, most Swedes don't even consider Scandinavia part of the continent.

Fair enough. Europe is not a nation; it's a fuzzily-defined portion of a continent. But we don't really have the option of being more specific in this poll, since we've only got 10 options. We had to settle for "broad geographic area" as the next-closest thing.
    Silverstar
    scriver said:

I guess you have to pick a region and then clarify with a post. I'm still North American even though the US and Costa Rica don't share a whole lot other than a geographical vicinity...
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I said other because I was born on occupied, unceded First Nations territory in what is called Canada but I don't have any loyalties to a nation I want to see abolished (or to any settler-colonial nation-state) so much as I have a desire to see us settlers relinquish all land (even treaty land) yesterday.
    Skatangorgonzola
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Western Massachusetts.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Greetings from Italy, in Europe! At least for now...
    lolien