Skip to content

How to format your posts

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Let's try the BBcode link under the comment box.

bolded text
    italicized text
    underlined text
    strikethrough text
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63570/forum-guidelines
    Forum Guidelines
    p7BO0YJXGDRKR.jpg
    quoted text
    author wrote:
    quoted text
    monospaced text

[style size="30px"]Large Text[/style]
    [style size="85"]Smaller Text[/style]
    [style color="fuchsia"]Text in fuchsia[/style] or
    [style color=#FF00FF]Text in fuchsia[/style] or
    Text in fuchsia
    • Entry A
    • Entry B
    1. Entry 1
    2. Entry 2

table cell 1
    table cell 2

table cell 3
    table cell 4

edited May 2019
    Apparently text color is still working!
    Mushroom
    TorgrimmerAlonso
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited June 2019
    • just a test

just a test

abc

aaa
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Should we maybe probably possibly try the Rich Editor again? They seem to have updated it: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/37360/vanilla-3-0-is-now-available-updated-3-0-2
    Alonsoargent77lolien
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Yes, please!!!
    lolien
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Should we maybe probably possibly try the Rich Editor again? They seem to have updated it: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/37360/vanilla-3-0-is-now-available-updated-3-0-2
    @JuliusBorisov Yes, please! The current BBCode version doesn't even know about half of what other forum software versions support.
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2019

Ok, I have enabled it for an experiment and reverted back.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    edited August 2019

Well, this seems bad on multiple levels, i vote to return to BBCode, even if the white background issue can be solved.

-no preview (but i can't find a way to use codes, so that's maybe relate with that)

-no editable quotes

-i found the spoiler function, but can not use it well. Can't write a new paragraph outside it if activated once, and i don't find it by editing a comment.

Edit: ok with double enter i can escape from the spoiler tag, and i can copy it to paste in an older comment, but it's far from convenient.

Post edited by lolien on
    Permidion_StarkRik_Kirtaniya
    edited August 2019

@JuliusBorisov My first impression: The new rich editor is not very intuitive to use, and it takes time to properly format comments. Direction keys (especially up/down) behave in a very unintuitive way.

I think a detailed instruction guide is really needed or there will be many frustrated users.

Testing: bold, italic, strikethrough, code and links. No underlined text? No colored text?

Emojis: 🤔 🐹 😱 👽️

Testing advanced features:

(no 1st level heading)

2nd level heading

3rd level heading

4th level heading

5th level heading
    • unordered list
    • entry 2
      • subentry 1
    1. ordered llist
    2. entry 2
      1. subentry 1
      2. (no forced line breaks in list elements?)

Quoting a quote...

// A script block
    IF
      Global("testvar","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
      RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("testvar","GLOBAL",1)
        Continue()
    END

Tab key doesn't work (bad for writing code) :(

Testing markdown codes...

bold, italic, code

heading 2

heading 3

A quote...

Nothing to see here...

This is code inside a spoiler...
    (or should be inside a spoiler)

Edit: Code inside spoilers doesn't work???

Rik_Kirtaniyalolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

The worst part of this IMO, is that the editor truncates quotes. So if there was a long string of quotes in a post, and you try to quote it, you only get a portion of the text near the top, and the later posts, which are probably what you're replying to are now lost.

Also, I notice that quotes are no longer collapsed in any posts, even those that predate the change.

lolienleeuxRik_Kirtaniya
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2019
    			CODE
    				TEST
    					TABS

They work, but only when the formatting is through the button to the left, and only if the tabs are pasted in. They are lost when formatting through the dropdown menu by highlighting the text, which also only appears to work on single lines, selecting multiple lines doesn't always present the dropdown menu for text. I don't know why there is a small white box underneath this paragraph, there are no lines after it.

Post edited by kjeron on
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    What was "wrong" with the former old editor? (Still have it on mobile, thank god).
    I find the new one anti-intuitive and on my computer, typing goes really slow like there were a ton of scripts that need to be executed.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    How are you guys doing these experiments? How can I access the new rich editor?
    @Alonso , it was temporarily activated by @JuliusBorisov . Now you can't access it, just when it will be activated next. (If there will be a next time at all.) But you didn't missed anything important.
    JuliusBorisovAlonso
    Now the background when using Rich Editor is black. What is your opinion - would it still be bad to switch to it?
    Now the background when using Rich Editor is black. What is your opinion - would it still be bad to switch to it?
    I vote no.
    • didn't properly support the TAB character
    • adding Code/Quote/Spoiler formatting through the highlight dropdown alters the content
    • quoted posts broke their formatting
    • quoted posts could not be edited, it's all or nothing, with most of it hidden behind a non-optional expansion button (spoiler tags do this just fine, as desired)
    • WYSIWYG (enough reason alone not to use it)
    JuliusBorisovRik_Kirtaniyalolien
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited August 2019

Not unless Vanilla allows spontaneous switching between the two different editors at the will of the general users.

Reasons:
    1. Lacks flexibility and fine tuning. Editing is complicated and unintuitive.
    2. Various options are not accessible on the mobile and desktop versions (mobile version was missing emojis tab and desktop one was missing some formatting options).
    3.Also, the text selection formatting pop up menu that appeared on mobile was in such an awkward position that it was covered by the default Chrome text selection pop up (Copy/Cut/Paste).
    4. Quotes are horribly BROKEN.
    5. Interface isn't intuitive and user-friendly. It is clunky, misses a lot of important options in an attempt to be compact, and it's design is just outdated to current expectations.
    6. Doesn't support the all the formatting possibilities that can be achieved using BBCode and HTML. Do note that several rich text editors in current existence do support a wide array of formatting options, almost as much as BBCode and HTML allow.
    7. I didn't find any options for alignment of the text (right, left, centre). If there's no such option, it isn't a proper rich text editor.

My conclusion: It needs a lot more development if it is to replace the current text editor. Even then, we should have the ability to switch between two different text editors, rich text and manual.

My rating of the current rich text editor: 3.5/10
    lolienJuliusBorisovAbel
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited December 2019
    Where has the HMTL gone? Even the usable BBCode is gimped. I had to go from this to this. Why the downgrade?
    Post edited by Abel on
    edited January 2020
    Since the latest forum update, every image inside a forum post is now rendered as a separate paragraph.

This kinda ruins e.g. my post here, or my top-post here.

Has anyone found a work-around to get multiple images in one line again?

Post edited by ineth on
    @ineth We got a reply from Vanilla.
    Currently how those images are loading is proper behaviour.
    @JuliusBorisov
    Does Beamdog have the ability to add custom CSS to the forums, or it is all managed by Vanilla?
    The following CSS rule would fix it:
    .Message img.embedImage-img { display: inline; }

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    How do I use header tags? Formatting like this [h2]Heading[/h2] doesn't appear to work. :/
    edited December 2020
    ineth wrote: »
    Since the latest forum update, every image inside a forum post is now rendered as a separate paragraph.

This kinda ruins e.g. my post here, or my top-post here.

Has anyone found a work-around to get multiple images in one line again?

This had been fixed, but now the exact same thing happened again.
    Vanilla really loves to mess up existing posts, don't they? :/

EDIT: Now it works fine again.
    Post edited by ineth on
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2021
    Does anybody know how to write inlined code?
    Should be [inline]code[/inline], but it's not working...
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Code?
    IF
        See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) // If I see my nearest enemy
    THEN
        RESPONSE #100
            Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) // Then attack my nearest enemy
    END

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Code?
    IF
        See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) // If I see my nearest enemy
    THEN
        RESPONSE #100
            Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) // Then attack my nearest enemy
    END

That's not inlined code...

Maybe @argent77 can help...? I'm looking for something like "\verb" (from LaTeX)...

Moreover, being able to use something like "\begin{lstlisting}[language=WeiDU] ... \end{lstlisting}" (from LaTeX) would be great too... But I fear that's pretty much impossible :D ...?
    I don't think that's possible with the limited number of BBCode tags available on this board. Many format elements were removed when Beamdog switched from Html to BBCode.
    ineth
    edited December 2021

testing