Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Rik_Kirtaniya Both Darksun and Ravenloft have old DOS-era games. You can buy both series on GOG.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    1varangian wrote: »
    We need the 5e multiplayer crpg and/or NWN:EE expansion. The withdrawal is getting unbearable.

you've personally been waiting YEARS.

From the upcoming Wild Surge issue:

dq7qby9nd5ul.jpg
    VallmyrIllustair
    edited March 2019
    6rhsombe806j.jpg

So0o... what "classic" game does this image belong too? Kinda doesn't fit with all the other imagery throughout the website.

It doesn't look 5e (sadly) but it does fit in with what it fits with some things that Amy Cornelson was working on before leaving Beamdog for Improbable Canada, which I just discovered which sucks because I really liked her art style...

anyway... some of her past work included:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g664e
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zlo9Q
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5L2b1

Notice, all are copyrighted Beamdog and both share that western/demon atmosphere. So why use the art if it isn't going to be at least part of an upcoming release? Web designer flub? Maybe... but it'd still have to get approval before launch IMO.

Anyway, this is just a small cling to hope that something new is coming...

mlneveseThacoBell
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    deltago wrote: »

I don't think working on yet another project is a good idea. They work on Axis & Allies, console ports, Neverwinter Nights update and Infinity Engine updates. It already seems too much for them to properly handle.

For example the 2.6 update and the DCA DLC that was supposed to be released at the end of last year is still not out.
    lefreut wrote: »

I don't think working on yet another project is a good idea. They work on Axis & Allies, console ports, Neverwinter Nights update and Infinity Engine updates. It already seems too much for them to properly handle.

For example the 2.6 update and the DCA DLC that was supposed to be released at the end of last year is still not out.

I agree, but the concept for this game has been around since at least 2015-2016, so its not really new (new to us) and something they have been working on behind the scenes.

It could have been shelved for A&A, NWN and everything in between, but why have that particular picture on their new website if it wasn't related to something they may release? It doesn't fit with all the other fantasy adventure art or A&A so what is it?
    SjerrieThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @deltago That's a dead ringer for Cthulhu there.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Taking on new projects wouldn't necessarily be too big of a burden if the older projects required less maintenance. The v2.5 update for EE sorted out almost everything; we're in a pretty stable place as far as the IE engine goes.
    kanisatha
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    I used to visit this page almost daily. It feels sad to drop by now after a couple of months to see that there is apparently no reason to keep hoping for any new IE material.
    Perhaps this thread should just be closed?
    Thank you, Beamdog, for enhancing the games and bringing us Siege. Too bad it wasn't followed up by more original content. I guess I will have to settle for another replay of the old classics.
    Cheerio.
    kanisathaDog_eat_Dog
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    I didnt even know I wanted a game with a pink mind flayer in paladin armour... but now I totally want it.When is it coming???
    mlneveseSkatanThacoBellSjerrie
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2019
    Can... can we get AAO cancelled and instead have Planescape II (?) getting picked up again? No? Huh... well, was worth a try anyway.

*sigh*
    lefreutMontresor_SPVallmyrRik_Kirtaniya
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Wow that is so sad. Why would it get cancelled? Is there any way it could get uncancelled? I would trade one of my kidneys for a new Planescape game.
    kanisatha[Deleted User]
    I want to ask WHY?! But I know I won’t get a straight answer.

Maybe Thea, Dave & Phil can start their own studio to get this game done.
    KamigoroshiThacoBell[Deleted User]lolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I'm still waiting for the FPS where I get to play a German Shepard with laser eyes.

Beamdog!
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTHSjerrie
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    Cancelled that sucks. I wonder why. I remember seeing a story about Hasbro going through layoffs around that time and since they own WOC maybe that has something to do with it. They were told to cut costs which meant cancelling it.
    [Deleted User]Quartz
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A lot of projects never get off the ground. We don't even hear about a lot of them, and I'm guessing the full story behind this particular project is probably complicated. There are all kinds of reasons a company might cancel a project, and I'm guessing the developers weren't happy that it fell through either.

I think it's worth pointing out that a cancelled project is not necessarily a near miss, and the presence of a few good elements, like a cool character, doesn't mean the rest of the project was sound.
    [Deleted User]Quartz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Quartz
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Well, explains the loss of Gaider and Daigle.
    [Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2019
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    Huh. Maybe they didn't pursue it after PST:EE sold poorly. I _think_ PST:EE didn't sell well?

I don't think that's actually the case. PST:EE is the second highest Beamdog product rated on Metacritc to date (the highest one being IWD:EE). And on Steam PST:EE is THE most highly rated Beamdog product, leaving even BG2:EE in the dust. In comparison NwN:EE really sold poorly.

So my guess is that the cancellation has not so much to do with unpopularity or its sold unit count. Which leaves either:
    a) insuficient overall budget
    b) differences in opinions
    c) WotC something something
    [Deleted User]kanisathaThacoBellQuartz
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I think it's worth pointing out that a cancelled project is not necessarily a near miss, and the presence of a few good elements, like a cool character, doesn't mean the rest of the project was sound.

David Gaider.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    to be fair most people don't really like pst because of the planescape setting. i have seen reviews where they say they would not like a game that is set just in the setting as they don't think it could holed a whole game on it's own.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Maybe Thea, Dave & Phil can start their own studio to get this game done.

They will have to deal with WotC to do that. I'm not sure they want to do that again :p
    Huh. Maybe they didn't pursue it after PST:EE sold poorly. I _think_ PST:EE didn't sell well?

I don't think that's actually the case. PST:EE is the second highest Beamdog product rated on Metacritc to date (the highest one being IWD:EE). And on Steam PST:EE is THE most highly rated Beamdog product, leaving even BG2:EE in the dust. In comparison NwN:EE really sold poorly.

So my guess is that the cancellation has not so much to do with unpopularity or its sold unit count. Which leaves either:

It can also be because of SoD. SoD was their first game that was not an Enhanced Edition and it have received mixed reviews.
    megamike15Quartz
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like WotC monkey business. Did they give Larian Baldur's Gate III or something and not want to (INSERT MARKETING BUZZWORDS HERE)?

Would've been fun to see that crowd go full-on weird. Ah well. Any other D&D possibilities on the horizon? Did Beamdog contract Ossian to do a new NWN premium module with those reworked assets? Seems like that'd be good bang for the buck. If not, why not!
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Yeah my money's on (c) although Beamdog not having what it takes to deliver a very high quality game is also a possibility.

I just really hope WotC didn't end up giving the license to Larian. I do NOT want a new IP D&D game to end up being turn-based. I really, really, really hope it is CDPR that is working on a new D&D game.
    edited May 2019
    turnbased multiplayer D&D with mod support and map editors would be quite DROOL tho. Well, they seem to be teasing a 3 of some kind so we'll see soon! Could just be D:OS of course but I thought they were gonna take a break and work on different stuff. Plus they were schmoozing with Wizards an awful lot around the point such a deal would be struck.

KrLQvXW.jpg
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @kanisatha "Beamdog not having what it takes to deliver a very high quality game is also a possibility."

Yeah, no. There is zero chance of this being the case. SoD was fantastic and I am RAVENOUS for Beamdog to do their own full RPG. I care if its D&D or a new setting all their own. It needs to happen.
    megamike15StummvonBordwehr