Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Son_of_Imoen
    Zaram is the main character actually. No this new character is named Koraxus Semorn and you'll first meet him in Chapter 1 (Not to be confused with the Prologue which Fanfic counts as "Chapter 1")

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12923726/1/Baldur-s-Gate

Enjoy :)

@Artona

Lol, Ekim. Not a terrible name actually. If I use that one I'll credit you.

ArtonaProont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Skatan wrote: »
    By BG standards the Extra Mage should have been called Artxe Egam.

I won't even ask what an extra dragon's name should be :)
    Artonagorgonzola
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Nogalacna the White and Gnurualg, Daughter of Dragons.
    mlneveseMontresor_SPThacoBellProont
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    There was a dragon called Bburcs Ecneralc Ecatsue, and it almost didn't deserve it.
    ProontStromael
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2019
    Better than Ifnkovhgroghprm from King's Quest?
    Montresor_SPProont
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited October 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The clerics in temples often say they provide healing services in exchange for a donation. But is it really a donation if you expect to get something in return for it?

Well..apparently the church has the power to absolve almost any sin you've committed. So I guess you do get something in return o:)

Closely tied in with reputation logic i guess^^
    Proont
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The clerics in temples often say they provide healing services in exchange for a donation. But is it really a donation if you expect to get something in return for it?

We have stuff like that in real life too. You can donate to a kickstarter for example, and they will give you some goodies in return, but this is legally distinct from the act of simply buying something from them. Mostly because they're under no real obligation to actually deliver on the goods.

Would be funny if once in a while the priest would take your money but then say something like "Sorry, all out of heals for the day!"
    gorgonzolaProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    That urges the question; does donation really mean that you part with something for free, or is that simply current interpretation of the word?
    Proont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

One word...

"Indulgences"
    Proont
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    It's also worth noting that unlike in real life, clerics in D&D can pray to their deity to intercede on your behalf. ("Oh, mighty Umberlee, spare your wrath from the humble fisherman Jonas and send not your whales to devour him... THIS day.") In a lot of cases, this is what people who tithe to the various churches are asking for, for generic blessings and favours and not a specific spell. Of course, whether or not the deity will actually do anything is a different matter altogether. ;)
    Zaxares wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that unlike in real life, clerics in D&D can pray to their deity to intercede on your behalf. ("Oh, mighty Umberlee, spare your wrath from the humble fisherman Jonas and send not your whales to devour him... THIS day.") In a lot of cases, this is what people who tithe to the various churches are asking for, for generic blessings and favours and not a specific spell. Of course, whether or not the deity will actually do anything is a different matter altogether. ;)

I mean, those fishermen seemed to have a pretty concrete situation with Umberlee. It was pretty much a divine protection racket. Sounded like on the days where they paid their dues, they caught fish and were unmolested by the seas, and on the days when they did not, the fish eluded them and the storms threatened to sink them.

They even had it nailed down to precise numbers, by the sound of it. The fishermen felt she was too expensive, which seemed to imply they knew they couldn't just get away with paying her less.

Of course, hard to know how much they should be trusted. They were killers trying to weave a sympathetic tale about why they'd murdered their local priestess in cold blood. But that was presumably a plausible lie at least, so it wouldn't be unheard of for a god to have that kind of arrangement.
    ThacoBellProontPsicoVic
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Baldur's Gate Logic:

Xvarts try to insult humans by calling them "Humanoid scuzz suckers!" It's not a bad insult except for the fact that xvarts are humanoid and humans aren't.
    gorgonzolaThacoBellProont
    Baldur's Gate Logic:

A dryad approaches you and asks you to help because a wondrous ancient oak is in peril from a couple of thugs who are planning to cut it down. It turns out the would-be lumberjacks are armed with a club and a katana. So did the tree really need your help or could it have won that fight on its own?

I mean, I assume they had a wood chopping axe on them too. You don't, for the most part, use your weapons for tree chopping. Every character can reasonably be assumed to have basic amenities that aren't relevant to your gameplay experience, and as such don't manifest as loot. Flint, torches, lunch, the shirt on his back, these are all things that your character either has or doesn't without the player having to worry about it.
    ProontDaevelon
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate Logic:

A dryad approaches you and asks you to help because a wondrous ancient oak is in peril from a couple of thugs who are planning to cut it down. It turns out the would-be lumberjacks are armed with a club and a katana. So did the tree really need your help or could it have won that fight on its own?

I mean, I assume they had a wood chopping axe on them too. You don't, for the most part, use your weapons for tree chopping. Every character can reasonably be assumed to have basic amenities that aren't relevant to your gameplay experience, and as such don't manifest as loot. Flint, torches, lunch, the shirt on his back, these are all things that your character either has or doesn't without the player having to worry about it.

Or maybe they were planning to borrow the +1 halberd from the Dire Wolf?
    ProontPsicoVic
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate Logic:

Or maybe they were planning to borrow the +1 halberd from the Dire Wolf?
    Fr9pcE7.png

gorgonzolaZaramMaldovarProontBalrog99
    Lindybeige (Nikolas Lloyd) argues, quite persuasively I think, that halberds were really thrusting rather than chopping weapons. And indeed they were originally included in the 'spear' category in vanilla BG. But I still think it would be a better bet than a katana for cutting down a tree.

Proont
    Oh yeah, for sure. Historically, you'd stick them in the ground, and let the enemy's horse charge into them, impaling themselves. Then if the horseman gets up after the crash you can fight them on foot instead of on their horse. This whole Baldur's Gate idea of Halberd Grandmastery is nonsense. There was never any complicated martial art associated with that weapon. I know that much.

But like, the chopping part of it doesn't even look particularly sharp in the icon. How sharp are we supposed to imagine that part to be exactly?

And like, how heavy and unwieldy are they? Even if you can conceivably cut wood with it, if you're just gonna exhaust yourself swinging this Behemoth Blade into Solid Oak all day long then Caldo and Krumm didn't really seem the type to make a project out of it.

Like I guess since it's magic you maybe don't have to worry about ruining your halberd on the tree but still.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Page 64: The One About Halberds
    ChroniclerProont
    Page 64: The One About Halberds

Jerry Seinfeld voice: "What's the deeeal with Halberds?"
    ZaramMaldovarSkatanProont
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Baldur's Gate Logic:

Xvarts try to insult humans by calling them "Humanoid scuzz suckers!" It's not a bad insult except for the fact that xvarts are humanoid and humans aren't.

Actually, humans are humanoids. In Baldur's Gate, creatures generally have 1 of 5 general creature types: Humanoid, Giant, Monster, Animal, or Undead. Humans and other playable races are in the Humanoid category, as are xvarts.

0mt6tunrifvt.png
    gorgonzolaChroniclerProont
    @OlvynChuru

So it's kind of a meta insult they are using?
    Balrog99Proont
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    As a chopping weapon it was also very effective, it seems.

It also appears to be quite handy if someone starts lobbing fruit at you.
    DaevelonBalrog99semiticgoddessProont
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    You get mastery at 500k subscribers, for GM you need 1M.
    ZaramMaldovarBalrog99Proontbob_veng