Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    Just do what you always do, just ask people with their name at the top of their heads.
    For a strange reason, everybody you talk to is happy to give details about his life, work, his problems and hopes, and even intimate family secrets. And they even expect you to fix them.

Charname must have one of those trusty faces. Like Oprah

This came up in the aftermath of the Mizhena situation. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but unless it's important to the main plot, everything has to happen in under three conversation segments. Just so that we don't waste a lot of man hours writing really elaborate conversations into the side quests and such.

Hence why Silke and Edwin both bring you in on their murder plot within seconds of meeting you for example.

The whole saga works like this, but it was only when Mizhena started talking about trans stuff that it suddenly seemed jarring to players for her to be releasing such sensitive information so quickly.
    semiticgoddessArtonaThacoBell
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Chronicler
    Let's not open that can of worms please.
    Montresor_SPDaevelon
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    At least the Mizhena situation does not cause the rise of the Dialog wheel like in other worlds.
    @PsicoVic
    Dialogue Wheel?
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    A strange curse that plagues other worlds that affects free will, constraining the infinite possibilities of the world into a three-choice give-or-take deal

Fallout-Gif-1.gif

Dialogue-Wheel-Dragon-Age.jpg
    @PsicoVic
    Oh dear god the loss of potential with modern day dialogue.

Please get it away!
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    In concept, the dialogue wheel isn't actually much different from the numbered dialogue lists older RPGs have. The problem is that the dialogue wheel only displays a SUMMARY of what you're going to say, and it gives no clue as to inflections and emphases (which can VASTLY change the tone of a conversation) or what your character will say in forthcoming banter (since the dialogue wheels generally offer you a choice, and then the conversation will continue for several more exchanges following that choice in which you get no say in how your character responds.)

This is why I much prefer silent RPG protagonists over the new voiced protagonists that seem to exist in every single modern RPG. I can never feel that characters like Hawke or Shepard or Geralt are MY characters, because they don't say exactly what I want to them say, and even if they do, the voice actor will inevitably say their lines in a way that builds up a distinct character that can be quite different from the character that I had envisioned. Over time, it becomes quite clear that characters like Hawke et al. actually have their own distinct personality; all you're doing is helping to guide their path through the game. They are not YOUR character.
    gorgonzolaSon_of_ImoenThacoBellProont
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    All weapons in Tethyr enchanted? No, that's not true. In my latest run, the protection from normal weapons in Enhanced Bard Song served my party well for quite a while in ToB.

A swarm of foes in the Saradush barracks? Don't worry, none of them have magic weapons.

An endless flood of summons from those glabrezu in Watcher's Keep? The fire elementals are dangerous, but the frost salamanders are wielding non-magical weapons and can be safely ignored while you deal with the real threats.

That githyanki encampment in Watcher's Keep? Only a few of the leaders have anything magical.

An army of orcs to challenge your perseverance deep in Watcher's Keep? Don't worry; the archers have +1 arrows, but all of their other weapons are mundane.

Yaga-Shura's army? Only the officers have anything magic.

Sure, Balthazar's mercenaries are equipped better with +2 weapons for everybody, and Sendai's minions have either +3 drow weapons or those +2 katanas, but the enchanted weapons aren't nearly as universal as you're thinking.
    gorgonzolaMontresor_SPsemiticgoddessProont
    I know this has nothing to do with BG Logic but since art related to my story has been posted here before courtesy of @DJKajuru here is an original character from my BG Story named Calinforth

3d8vn3pguan2.png
    DJKajurugorgonzolaProontMontresor_SP
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Baldur's Gate Logic: Marek and Lothander can poison a party of six people without waking any of them up. They can even poison a party of six cavaliers, all of whom are immune to poison.

A hellish powerful poison they must use then :wink:
    Permidion_StarkZaramMaldovarMontresor_SP
    @Permidion_Stark
    Both? Both? Both. Both is good.
    Permidion_StarkmlneveseThacoBellProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Baldur's Gate Logic: A group of xvarts are attacking a cow. A posse of adventurers stumbles across them and engages them in combat. The xvarts ignore the adventurers and keep attacking the cow. So do xvarts hate cows or do they just hate the idea of adventurers getting experience for succeeding in a side quest?

Well they do turn their attention to you if you bash them in the side of the head with your warhammer, so maybe they're just super-focused types...
    ZaramMaldovarmlneveseMontresor_SPProont
    @Balrog99
    Usually by the time I get there, I have the +2 War Hammer that does extra electric damage. If I bash them in the side of the head with MY war hammer they're not going to be able to do much after that. :lol:
    Balrog99mlneveseMontresor_SPProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    @Balrog99
    Usually by the time I get there, I have the +2 War Hammer that does extra electric damage. If I bash them in the side of the head with MY war hammer they're not going to be able to do much after that. :lol:

Ok, you got me there. I'm usually plucking away at them with darts. That just annoys them enough to get their attention!
    ZaramMaldovarmlnevese
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    @Balrog99

Ok, you got me there. I'm usually plucking away at them with darts. That just annoys them enough to get their attention!

I generally solo or play as a duo with Imoen. I find that while you can attract the attention of a xvart by whacking him around the earhole with a warhammer the others stay focused on cutting Arabelle into beefsteaks.
    ZaramMaldovarMontresor_SPmlnevese
    edited October 2019
    And yet the marauding goblins in the IWD prologue refuse to attack the children who they were very clearly chasing. They just stand there and do nothing until the party they can't see coming is within attack range
    Permidion_StarkProontMontresor_SP
    @ilduderino
    At least SOD somewhat corrected this by having all the NPCs stay at camp with you; though you don't get to take any of them with you to Avernus.
    ilduderino