Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    edited December 2019
    If I recall in Pen and Paper it specifies in the Bag of Holding description that you can't store living things in there.

Unclear however if this is because there's no air circulation in the bag of holding. Like putting a caterpillar in a jar and forgetting to poke holes in it. Ie you can't store living things in there because they will cease to be living things if you do. Or if living things literally simply won't go into the bag due to some quirk of the magic.
    Son_of_ImoenProontsemiticgoddess
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    Chronicler wrote: »
    If I recall in Pen and Paper it specifies in the Bag of Holding description that you can't store living things in there.

Unclear however if this is because there's no air circulation in the bag of holding. Like putting a caterpillar in a jar and forgetting to poke holes in it. Ie you can't store living things in there because they will cease to be living things if you do. Or if living things literally simply won't go into the bag due to some quirk of the magic.

Most editions of D&D say there's about 10 minutes worth of air in a Bag of Holding.
    Chroniclersemiticgoddess
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    And therefore absolutely nothing wrong with opening up the bag to unleash an army of skeletal warriors.

Maybe if your buddy's a vampire he could chill in there for a while.

Now I want a story about a lich who "lives" inside a bag of holding, the party never finds him because they don't know he's in there, and when the party stops to camp for the night he comes out and kills them in their sleep and takes his bag portable laboratory/library back to his favorite resting place.
    mlnevesegorgonzolaProont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Sorry... can I offer you a story about a friendly lich who was a former teacher at a Magic University and liked to congratulate his students for a job well done by tapping them repeatedly on their backs? :)
    gorgonzolaProontArvia
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited December 2019
    Arvia wrote: »
    discussing with a colleague last week if you still have to adapt medication to match body weight in someone with an adamantium skeleton.
    i thought that you paladins were using lay on hands, not medications.
    but the way healing potions, sorry medications, work is only based on their strength, they heal a fixed value of HP and are not dependent on the kind of sickness or injury or on the weight, constitution or race of the one that has to be healed, the worst you can do is to overshoot and heal more hp then he actually has, but there is absolutely not risk of over dosage.
    next time you examine someone look at the hp value, it is right over his head, then pick a potion that matches the missing hp, it is really simple as that.
    i wonder why the RL doctors are so over payed for something as simple :)

ProontStromaelMontresor_SP
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    quote="Skatan;c-1109306"]Hehe, these latest posts reminds me of an old and very, very serious discussion:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65973/what-about-sleeping-in-a-bag-of-holding#latest[/quote]

Serious discussion? On my thread? Lol, is that even legal?
    I love to be around people where you can discuss such things without anyone wondering if it's normal. Like discussing with a colleague last week if you still have to adapt medication to match body weight in someone with an adamantium skeleton.

Now we're talking!
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    discussing with a colleague last week if you still have to adapt medication to match body weight in someone with an adamantium skeleton.
    i thought that you paladins were using lay on hands, not medications.
    but the way healing potions, sorry medications, work is only based on their strength, they heal a fixed value of HP and are not dependent on the kind of sickness or injury or on the weight, constitution or race of the one that has to be healed, the worst you can do is to overshoot and heal more hp then he actually has, but there is absolutely not risk of over dosage.

Ok so I've come to the conclusion only 69 pages late that my thread is equal parts serious discussion, the same discussion but not serious at all and thread derailme- FIREBALL!!!
    gorgonzolaProontMontresor_SP
    well, in 69 pages of a forum thread you can stuff a lot of things... ;)
    ZaramMaldovarProontMontresor_SPBlackbɨrd
    @mlnevese
    I assume yes but I'll let @Arvia answer this one since they were the one that brought it up.
    mlneveseArvia
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Opinions among 5 colleagues who have discussed it are very different. (I'm not counting those responding with "you guys are mad", because obviously they're not reliable).

The required dosage depends, among other, on the distribution volume. That is, a lipophilic drug would be calculated to real body weight in an obese person, because it goes into fat tissue and therefore you need more to reach a given drug level in the blood. A hydrophilic drug would be given calculating with ideal body weight, because it doesn't diffuse into fat tissue.

Adamantium however is metabolically inert and, as a solid metal, doesn't allow diffusion, so in comparison to a person with a regular human skeleton there is actually a lower volume of distribution, and you would therefore need to give a lower dose.

That's not taking into account that our person of reference with an adamantium skeleton has an incredibly accelerated metabolism and would therefore probably need a dosage of anesthetics that could drop a dinosaur.

So what would happen in the case of somebody like, say, Colossus (or Iceman) who can transform their bodies into a completely different substance? What would happen to any medication that was in their body at the time? I can just imagine an elderly Colossus changing into his steel body and then going, "Crap, remind me to retake my meds later!"

At a risk of derailing this thread any further...

I believe Iceman just forms a layer of ice or snow around his body. He doesn't transform into ice per se.
    mlneveseArviaMontresor_SP
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I think we could open a new thread about superheroes :) It would be interesting to discuss how comes Superman didn't kill the Kents by accident when he was a child :)
    ArviaProontMontresor_SP
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited December 2019
    Necromancer. Studied on in all the various ways you can manipulate the body and soul. Cannot use this knowledge to heal others. Countless ages of necromantic study and apparently nobody ever thought to pen down a cure wounds scroll. Only god freaks can do that.

I think that has more to do with the source of a necromancer's power is most often seen as coming from demons, evil gods, or ancient eldritch knowledge (ie: Lovecraft). In the FR with the weave involved Necromancy doesn't have to be evil, so it's most likely a game-balance thing.

You can make yourself a Necromancer/Cleric If you play a human and dual. It's fun and there's great synergy bwtween the classes, but unless you want to mod with EEKeeper you have to start as a Necromancer, since you can't dual into that class. It's simply a matter of what spells you want to have access too, as to when you choose to dual into cleric. If you want Horrid Wilting you'll have a looooong wait before you can get your wizard spells back. Animate Dead you can get from cleric level 3 so you could dual at level 5 or six just for Skull Trap if you wanted too. The coolest necro spells are levels 6-8 though...
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
    Arvia

It's annoying enough to sleep fully dressed, I don't think anyone can sleep in full plate.
    this is one of the reasons why most of my parties don't use armors at all, mage's robe is very comfortable both to walk around and to sleep.
    and if there is some thief or stalker leather armors at least are not so heavy and so uncomfortable to wear when sleeping.

even so as the party backpacks are almost every time filled with every sort of loot and items that maybe can be useful in some situation to walk around is not so easy, even if to carry a heavy backpack while also wearing a full plate is certainly worst.

maybe i should switch to poverty runs only, or maybe spend some gp to buy a mule... :D .

mlneveseZaramMaldovar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    gorgonzola wrote: »

It's annoying enough to sleep fully dressed, I don't think anyone can sleep in full plate.
    this is one of the reasons why most of my parties don't use armors at all, mage's robe is very comfortable both to walk around and to sleep.

I'd take pants and a shirt/jacket every day of the week over a robe.
    ProontgorgonzolaArvia
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I have to imagine you wear the robe over the pants, shirt, etc anyway.

It's not like we're left to imagine that fighters are naked under their armor. Monks aren't running around nude simply because they wear neither armor nor robe. The equipment you wear for battle goes on over your clothes.
    gorgonzolaProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have to imagine you wear the robe over the pants, shirt, etc anyway.

It's not like we're left to imagine that fighters are naked under their armor. Monks aren't running around nude simply because they wear neither armor nor robe. The equipment you wear for battle goes on over your clothes.

Wearing robes over clothes would get really hot and uncomfortable.
    mlneveseProont
    semiticgod wrote: »
    In PnP, 8 hours of rest doesn't need to involve sleep. It just means a period of restful inactivity: you can chill out with your fellow murder hobos and chat about the hobo life and the joys of stabbing folks with your hobo knife, but you can't do any strenuous activity like chopping wood or pumping iron or stabbing people.

My adaption of Shank would like you. He's always interested in talking about the finer points of stabbin'
    Son_of_ImoenProont