Skip to content

General BGEE Customization Pre V2.0

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • shamshelshamshel Member Posts: 1
    Anyone knows how to apply these changes if you bought the game through Steam, I cant fin the .ini file and the .lua
    Or if its even possible on a Steam purchased game.. :(
  • KedineKedine Member Posts: 31
    I have 4 in 1 box set, so BG2 + Throne of Bhaal, and baldur.ini is the one I edited (there is no other).

I did it like this, and tried to place the text ('Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1', with and without long spaces, however you call it in English)
    in various places in the page, but I can't get the console work :(

I have Windows 8.

BG.png 100.9K
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Kedine For original BG, just add the line DebugMode=1.

Where?

And still should work with ctrl + space?

I can't get it work
  • GrombagGrombag Member Posts: 16
    Looks like you have to go to the directory "Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" (without quotes). See https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15983/activating-cluaconsole-with-steam-version

I did this, it did not work, I also tried all tricks that can be found on internet (tried compability mode as WinXP, marked .ini file as "read only" so the game couldn't change it, changed it back when it didn't work and took the defaut setting from the disk and did the stuff again...), but still in game I cannot get CLUACONSOLE working. ctrl+space just pauses and unpauses the game.

I do not have steam version, I have DVD with SOA and Throne of Bhaal, I use Win8

Is there anything I could do?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    If ctrl-space pauses the game, it sounds like it's not detecting the ctrl button press. Do you have any utility running that does hot-keys? Does things like ctrl-c and ctrl-v work on other Windows programs?
    Ctrl button works normal in other programs. Must be something else :/
    In Key mapping in the game ctrl is unmapped, space = pause and cannot be changed.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited January 2017
    what's up with RNG in this engine?

I've set up a spell that has 1% chance of success, then I've locked it beyond four more spell relays of 1% of success (this means it should have to roll 5 separate 1% chances) just so the overall chance of success is extremely rare.

Yet it still works fairly often. Like, it's somewhat rare but it still unbelievably happens regularly. There's no way rolling 5 successive, exponential 1% would happen more than once in a big big while.

This leads me to conclude the "randomness" in this engine is simply bs. This system most likely covers crits and concentration checks aswell.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    How does one turn off Debug Mode after it's enabled? I tried deleting the string from Baldur.lua, I've tried setting it from 1 to 0, I only wanted it on long enough to correct for my mistake of talking to Edwin before recruiting Dynaheir (by respawning Edwin with Dynaheir in my party), I didn't intend to actually play with it on!
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited May 2017
    In BGEE, I've just started a new game and am trying to move (not create clones) all of the canon joinable NPCs to the protagonist at Mouse Position: x=1110, y=600 Area: AR2600. I'm pretty green using complex console commands, but I followed the example of moving Cernd in BG2EE in the OP:

C:Eval("action") : execute a scripting action. Note that any quotes in the action itself need to have a "\" before them. A list of available script actions can be found in the IESDP.
    Example - C:Eval("ActionOverride(\"Cernd\",MoveGlobal(\"AR0406\",Myself,[1368.1922]))") Will move Cernd to the specified location.

The command that I've tried in BGEE:

C:Eval("ActionOverride(\"Imoen1\",MoveGlobal(\"AR2600\",Myself,[1110,600]))")

It appears to enter properly, but it does nothing. Can anyone tell me if this even works or guide me in the right direction, please? Thank you.

Edit: I tried the same command with Minsc, instead of Imoen1. and it, also, didn't work. I'm wondering if the command isn't working because the game might spawn the NPCs when the protagonist enters the areas or something.

If I don't want clones, I can use the MoveToArea command, go to each area and recruit the NPCS normally, I suppose, then teleport the party back to AR2600 to actually begin the game, but I'm unsure if that would advance the story or how I could recruit Dynaheir without killing any gnolls. Again, any help is appreciated.

Edit II: Using the MoveToArea command and recruiting the NPCs normally worked fine, but I'm still having trouble with Dynaheir. I moved the party to the Gnoll Fortress (AR5100), then tried the same command line as I did with Imoen1 and Minsc, but with Dynahe, but, again, it did nothing even being in the same area as Dynaheir should be. The Baldur's Gate Wiki shows her at 2470, 1400. Again, I'm pretty green with the more advanced commands, but I thought that there was a MoveToArea command that would jump you to the actual location if entered properly. My Google-Fu just isn't turning up what that command line should be. Thank you.
    Post edited by Jidokwon on
  • OniDaimyoOniDaimyo Member Posts: 25
    Is there anything that will automatically make portraits the right size and bmp and all that?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    OniDaimyo said:

Is there anything that will automatically make portraits the right size and bmp and all that?

http://www.notra.fr/portrait.php

• OniDaimyoOniDaimyo Member Posts: 25
    Is there any way at all to use the Flind Model? It can use greatsword and I want to play a gnoll who uses a greatsword so...
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    How can I edit a image I would like to use it as portrait forcing it into the MEDIUM and SMALL formats?
    Must I draw a square with PAINT and shrink the borders? Is there a smarter way?
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    I can't seem to get the CLUA Console to work. Every time I edit the .lua and boot up the game, the .lua seems to reset, and the game boots up as though it's my first time starting Baldur's Gate.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @TheWhitefire, I am guessing that you are on Windows here. It sounds like you are using Notepad to edit the file. Depending on setting, Notepad adds .txt to the end of the filename so you need to make sure that you save only as 'baldur.lua' or remove the .txt component after you save. You also could try a different editor like Notepad++. If you are using something like Word to edit, it adds a bunch of metadata to the file that wont be able to be read, so the game would essential delete the file and start again.

The other one is that you have to edit baldur.lua when the game is not running.

Gus
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Cuv said:

Add these lines 'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1', You can put it right at the top if you like

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    Wait a minute - you're asking me to insert code that doesn't even have matching closing parenthesis...??
    Nope, this code block didn't do it, in my case. I wonder how it has helped anyone at all???

Here's my Baldur.lua, after following the guideline above. Clearly, it's not syntactically valid:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Character Highlights','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Nearest Neighbour Scaling','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Scale UI','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','vendor','Intel')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Zoom Lock','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Use Sprite Outlines','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','version','OpenGL version 4.3.0 - Build 10.18.14.4170 - build XXXX')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Greyscale On Pause','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Hardware Mouse Cursor','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Show Black Space','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','renderer','Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Full Screen','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Window','Maximized','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Confirm Dialog','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','3E Thief Sneak Attack','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Pausing Map','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Duplicate Floating Text','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Message Box Hint','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Keyboard Scroll Speed','36')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Selection Sounds Frequency','3')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Infravision','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Difficulty Level','3')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Footsteps','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Bonus XP','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Filter Games','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Bonus Gold','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Bored Timeout','3000')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Suppress Extra Difficulty Damage','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Quick Item Mapping','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','HP Over Head','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Terrain Hugging','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Area Effects Density','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Effect Text Level','62')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Hotkeys On Tooltips','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Classic Selection Circles','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Tutorial State','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Always Dither','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Travel Regions','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Combat UI','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Memory Level','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Over Confirm Everything','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Message Box Top','175')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Actions','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Extra Feedback','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Critical Hit Screen Shake','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Tiles Precache Percent','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Learnable Spells','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Command Sounds Frequency','2')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Mouse Scroll Speed','40')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Auto Pause State','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Auto Pause Center','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Journal Popups','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Weather','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show Character HP','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Environmental Audio','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Attack Sounds','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Render Explored Map','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Maximum HP','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Color Circles','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Subtitles','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','GUI Feedback Level','5')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Ranged Weapon Switching','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Locator Feedback Level','3')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Heal Party on Rest','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Cleric Ranger Spells','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','All Learn Spell Info','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','No Difficulty Based XP Bonus','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Tooltips','15')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Voices','100')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Path Search Nodes','32000')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','30')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Movie','90')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Translucent Shadows','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume SFX','80')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Active Campaign','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Sprite Mirror','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Drop Capitals','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Disable Cosmetic Attacks','0')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Ambients','40')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Never Show Nuisance SOD','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Font Name','')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Volume Music','40')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ru_RU','PTSERIF')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','uk_UA','PERMIAN')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ko_KR','NANUM')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','Zoom','150')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','zh_CN','SIMSUN')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Fonts','ja_JP','MEIRYO')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Language','Text','en_US')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Multiplayer','Enable Chat Menu','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('Multiplayer','Disable Banters','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','SODCIN01','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','INTRO','1')
    SetPrivateProfileString('MOVIES','LOGO','1')

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Loldrup Those instructions were for "Baldur.ini", which is used by pre v2.0 games, not "Baldur.lua", which is used by v2.0+ games.
    Loldrup
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2018
    @Gusinda well slap my arse and call me an elf, you were right! Thanks a ton, my friend!

@Loldrup the line you want to insert is SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    Gusinda
  • DoctorRogueDoctorRogue Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I'm having a problem with Bladur's Gate II. I'm trying to access the console commands but the only .ini file or LUA file I'm finding for the game is the engine file. I have the game from GOG.com on an external hard drive set to G:
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Hello. I'm having a problem with Bladur's Gate II. I'm trying to access the console commands but the only .ini file or LUA file I'm finding for the game is the engine file. I have the game from GOG.com on an external hard drive set to G:

Have you looked in the "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" folder? Baldur.ini and Baldur.lua should be there in the EEs.
    I had two fifferent Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" folders. One on the C: drive, and one on te external drive. But now whenever I edit the LUA file it resets when I start the game ):
    I think the active Documents folder should be on the same drive where your operating system is (pesumably C). I'm thinking maybe that one overrides and resets the other one every time the game runs, though admittedly I haven't had a lot of experience with external drives and I'm somewhat mystified by why there would be two documents folders to begin with.
    Sorry I should have been more clear. The C folder was the only one with a LUA file. The other just has saves. I edit the LUA file, save it, and confirm it is saved but when I start the game the LUA file resets to default somehow.
    Interesting. Are you running BGII:EE version 1.3? Or is it a different version?
    The latest patch I have is 2.5.16.6. If the version is different I'll have to try and find out how to locate it. GOG Galaxy 2 is taking time to figure out.
    Huh, I'm not quite sure what's going on then. Sorry.

I'll try to tag @JuliusBorisov for you, but if it doesn't get a response I'd probably try contacting customer support or messaging Julius or another Beamdog developer on this forum directly.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sometimes there are several Documents folders on PC, which leads to confusion where to find the folder with BG saves and baldur.lua. See https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65867/missing-save-files for example.

The EE has a good solution letting you define the needed folder yourself. See https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1111431/#Comment_1111431 for an explanation.

If the Lua file resets to default then you should check permissions in the folder, access to the file, and your Firewall/UAC.
    Adul