Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Fun fact about the final battle song for Shadows of Amn, the song that plays in the Nine Hells when you open the door: the first few seconds, the shrill brass notes, also play during the start of action scenes in a lot of South Park episodes.
    OlvynChuruAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »
    What would a Sphere of Law do?

Make it so I can't speed, jaywalk, text at stoplights, wear my non-safety glasses at my lab desk, not wear my steel-toed safety shoes when I'm transporting 1 gallon of methanol 25 feet to the next lab, sit inside my vehicle while I'm gassing up and it's 30 below zero outside, not make a complete stop at a 4-way stop when there's nobody around, cross railroad tracks when the cross-bar is down and the lights are flashing for no apparent reason because there isn't a train anywhere near, etc..., etc..., etc...

Fun thing I just found out!

The refinements mod maintained by @subtledoctor has a component that brings in an updated set of High Level Abilities.

Many kits in this mod have an HLA or two that's unique to them. The Priest of Helm kit has one that's called "Circle of Law".

It's described
    By casting this powerful spell the Helmite priest turns into a bastion of Law and gains unassailable protections against chaotic or evil creatures and effects. The priest is granted complete immunity to all Necromancy spells, gains a 5 point bonus to saves vs. poison/death, and his AC is decreased by 5. Furthermore, the priest and his companions within a 15' radius are protected from Evil and all chaotic spells or effects such as Chaos, Drunkenness, Fear, Berserk, etc.
    This ability lasts for 10 rounds.

It's surprisingly anti-evil for a kit based around a god that's pretty ambivalent towards good and evil, but here's an actual interpretation of what a Sphere of Law would do. Or Circle of Law as the case may be.
    AerakarStummvonBordwehrBalrog99Wise_Grimwald
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Here's how weapon breaking works in Baldur's Gate 1. Each time you hit someone with a breakable weapon, it has a 2% chance to break. Missed attacks don't count. Weapons also never break once you reach Chapter 6 (this was added in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition).

My understanding is that the chapter 6 thing was always in the code. It was just bugged and didn't work. There were some fixpacks for it even before the enhanced edition.

It ultimately didn't make much difference to begin with, since by chapter 6 you usually have some form of enchanted unbreakable weaponry anyway. Still a nice touch that after you fix the iron crisis the weapons stop breaking.
    AerakarJuliusBorisovThacoBellWise_Grimwald
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    as seravok is there this is a tob banter. and 3rd ed was right around the corner so they knew.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPAerakar
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What counts in giving these penalties? The moment you shoot?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    If you don't let him talk to you in Candlekeep (say, by having the protagonist invisible), Koveras chants a prophecy repeatedly. It's voice-only with no text in the log, so here's an approximate transcription:

"In the year of the turrets, a great host will come from the east like a plague of locusts. So sayeth the wise Alaundo"
    Balrog99JuliusBorisov
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    Bubb wrote: »
    Did you know that there are four different ranges of distance the engine observes when calculating the attack roll of a ranged attack?

voca35mx92u4.png

These ranges cascade outwards - the applied modifiers (from an attacker's perspective) are as follows:
    MINIMAL => Attacker inside the red circle: attack roll penalty of -8. This is the commonly known "target too close" modifier.
    NORMAL => Attacker inside the green circle: attack roll is normal.
    MEDIUM => Attacker inside the blue circle: attack roll penalty of -2.
    LONG => Attacker outside the blue circle: attack roll penalty of -5.
    Do these range penalties also work in a similar sense for the protagonist's ranged attack, and I assume the penalties would be less for longbows over shortbows and crossbow's over bows and Ballistas over crossbows?

Also what of magic missiles? I'd imagine they have no range penalties - Range of caster's eyesight IIRC.

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    lroumen wrote: »
    What counts in giving these penalties? The moment you shoot?

Yes, the moment the projectile starts flying is when the check is made.
    Xorina wrote: »
    Do these range penalties also work in a similar sense for the protagonist's ranged attack, and I assume the penalties would be less for longbows over shortbows and crossbow's over bows and Ballistas over crossbows?

Also what of magic missiles? I'd imagine they have no range penalties - Range of caster's eyesight IIRC.

Yep, these penalties apply to all creatures. The engine doesn't differentiate between ranged items - a shortbow, longbow, crossbow, throwing weapons, and innate creature ranged attacks all follow the same rules. Spells aren't affected by distance, only ranged weapons have this penalty system in place.
    AerakarStummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Faithless souls have to worry about the total destruction of their soul within the Wall of the Faithless, but this isn't the only way. A faithful soul, one loyal to their god, is the perfect food for Kezef the Chaos Hound, a powerful primordial being, similar to but not quite a god. Kezef doesn't eat faithless souls. It was said that Cyric sent Kezef after the still-mortal Kelemvor, who was hidden away by Mask.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kezef
    ThacoBellWise_GrimwaldChronicler
    By the time you reach the end of TOB, some of your characters could potentially win 1v1 duels against the avatars of most gods, and certainly as a group.

For example, Gruumsh, the chief orc god, is only a Fighter 20/Cleric 9 in avatar form. Not super impressive. And he is a Greater Deity!

Others would wipe out your whole party.
    Montresor_SPDaevelon
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    By the time you reach the end of TOB, some of your characters could potentially win 1v1 duels against the avatars of most gods, and certainly as a group.

For example, Gruumsh, the chief orc god, is only a Fighter 20/Cleric 9 in avatar form. Not super impressive. And he is a Greater Deity!

Others would wipe out your whole party.

But that would only be fair if you reached such levels on a no-reload game :)
    WarChiefZekeMontresor_SPWise_Grimwald
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2020
    There's a little BG2 reference at the beginning of Icewind Dale.

7xxz5ma08d17.png
    huh? Doesn't this mess with the timelines? Or how often does this cult resurface?
    Montresor_SPSanctiferJuliusBorisov
    lroumen wrote: »
    There's a little BG2 reference at the beginning of Icewind Dale.

7xxz5ma08d17.png
    huh? Doesn't this mess with the timelines? Or how often does this cult resurface?

I was thinking the same thing. Either Gorion's Ward ignored that particular quest and some other adventurer came along and did it, or the identity of Gorion's Ward in the IE games is instead this Thom Wainwright. For the better I say!
    Montresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its an immortal, or near immortal, Beholder that can only be killed by a device so powerful that the gods locked it away. I can imagine it coming back to cause trouble.
    Montresor_SPWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess