Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Another defense of Larloch's Minor Drain, it can kill outright between 1/3 to 1/2 of non-adventurer types and add their life-force to the magic-users. Even if it doesn't kill them, the added life-force makes it likely to be followed by an easy kill for the magic-user afterward. That isn't something to sneeze at!
    AerakarmlneveseWise_Grimwald
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Chronicler wrote: »
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Isn't it weird how the most frequent reference to the super-powerful archlich Larloch is a pathetic 1st-level spell?

It's the necromancer's bread and butter. He basically invented the necomantic lightbulb. That we have him to than for our most simple and essential necromancy only speaks to his necromantic genius. He completely changed the game in the necromancy department.

Well, I'd hardly call Larloch's Minor Drain the necromancer's bread and butter. It's a terrible spell, even for level 1.

On the other hand, Nahal did basically invent the wild magic lightbulb. Wild Mages must've been pretty lame before Nahal came along.
    ThacoBellAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I wonder why there is no Larloch Major Drain spell. It's clearly an omission from old Larloch.
    mlneveseThacoBellWise_GrimwaldFina92
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Some guy who thought vampires were "cool" started calling it "Vampiric Touch". That name caught on, and here we are with one less spell named after Larloch.

Larloch killed him and reanimated the corpse as a mindless zombie, but the damage was done already.
    [/snark]
    MoomintrollmlneveseAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2020
    jmerry wrote: »
    Some guy who thought vampires were "cool" started calling it "Vampiric Touch". That name caught on, and here we are with one less spell named after Larloch.

Larloch killed him and reanimated the corpse as a mindless zombie, but the damage was done already.
    [/snark]

Or he just kept that one to himself after seeing everyone using his first one without crediting him. Always credit the wizard! :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    Wise_GrimwaldThaynon
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Isn't it weird how the most frequent reference to the super-powerful archlich Larloch is a pathetic 1st-level spell?

Another well known spell he developed is Devastate Undead, an 8th level spell. However, its side effects make it mostly valuable to undead spellcasters, as the negative energy absorption would harm living beings. I imagine many of Larloch's spells are like this.

In a way this can be thought of as Larloch's Major Drain as the principle is similar, doing damage while healing yourself, it is just meant for undead.

And since Larloch's Minor Drain is meant for the living and is a low level spell, I think we can assume that he invented that spell during his life and this one during his unlife, perfecting the arcane technique he was most known for.

Insert "You vs the Man She Tells You Not To Worry About" meme, but with Larloch's before and after photos each performing their respective drain spells.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Reticent wrote: »
    Did you know that there's a building in the Bridge District that, rather than hosting some vile evil threat, is just some commoner's home?

Did you know that there's a locked and trapped container in that home that contains an ankeg shell (speaking of easy ways to get a good set of armor early in the game)?

I always thought that place was supposed to be a warehouse - and that's why so many guards are summoned if you steal there. The commoners then are just a trigger to summon the guards, though they could be thought of as a curator/guard who's brought her young child along on a bad day ...
    sarevok57ThaynonReticentAerakar
    Here is a ranking of taverns and inns based how many joinable NPCs you first encounter in them (excluding mod NPCs):

1. Copper Coronet: 4 (Anomen, Nalia, Korgan, Clara)
    2. Friendly Arm Inn: 3 (Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn)
    3. Smoldering Corpse Bar: 2 (Dak'kon, Ignus)
    4. All other taverns and inns in the IE games: 0
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessThacoBellDJKajuru
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    What about Edwin in Mae'Var's guildhall? Gorch downstairs serves drinks. It may not be marked on your map as a tavern, but it does function as one.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited July 2020
    Copper coronet has yoshimo, Minsc and edwin as well.
    Five flagons Inn has haer dalis.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There are quite a few NPCs in taverns in SoD as well ...
    JuliusBorisov
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    There are quite a few NPCs in taverns in SoD as well ...
    lroumen wrote: »
    Copper coronet has yoshimo, Minsc and edwin as well.
    Five flagons Inn has haer dalis.

I think that's not what OlvynChuru meant.
    Here is a ranking of taverns and inns based how many joinable NPCs you first encounter in them (excluding mod NPCs):

1. Copper Coronet: 4 (Anomen, Nalia, Korgan, Clara)
    2. Friendly Arm Inn: 3 (Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn)
    3. Smoldering Corpse Bar: 2 (Dak'kon, Ignus)
    4. All other taverns and inns in the IE games: 0

There are no NEW NPCs in taverns in SoD. Only the ones returning from BG1.
    Yoshimo is FIRST encountered in Irenicus Dungeon. Haer'Dalis in the sewers, in the what-is-his-name laboratory ;-)

SanctiferGrond0JuliusBorisovmlnevese
    Ah... Like that
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2020
    BG games really need more random tavern fights to give the tabletop feeling :) Have the players wondering if what just happened is story related or not :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    dunbarWise_Grimwald
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As in the old "I go to the bar and order a pint of milk" tactic to see who calls you out for being a wimp.
    mlneveseWise_Grimwald
    mlnevese wrote: »
    BG games really need more random tavern fights to give the tabletop feeling :) Have the players wondering if what just happened is story related or not :)

BG1 has plenty of tavern fights against assassins. ;)
    sarevok57Wise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited July 2020

But those are against assassins. I think what was being suggested was fights with the like of Marl, or against a drunk who attacks you because he doesn't like the way that you look at him. perhaps getting involved in a brawl. I have recently had my eyes opened as to what happened in the pubs near the local steelworks where pub fights were the norm. I have had a sheltered life and have yet to see a pub brawl even though I am over 70 years old.
    mlnevese
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

they mean more like the beragost tavern encounter.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Infinity Engine games have PLENTY of tavern fights*

*As long as you're willing to instigate them.
    WarChiefZekesarevok57RedRodentsemiticgoddess
    edited July 2020
    In nashkel there is neira.
    In the city you still have larze, gorpel hind, and the paladin that attacks evil party members. There are also rabbits and oozes.
    I agree that there are enough taverns to put more of those in
    In the city you still have larze, gorpel hind, and the paladin that attacks evil party members. There are also rabbits and oozes.

Rabbits? What tavern are there rabbits in?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Rabbits? What tavern are there rabbits in?

i think Iroumen meant chickens and they are very aggressive
    ThacoBell