Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Welp, it finally happened. My hair has been thinning slowly over the last 8 years, but I now have 2 visible bald spots, and they stand out even more because the rest of my hair is so thick. I don't mind the idea of being bald, but I really hate bald spots.

Well, you're young then or started to grow bald late. In both cases: celebrate. I have a monk's tonsure on top of my head from spontaneous hair withdrawal for maybe ten years or so, or maybe it started even before my fortieth in my thirties?
    SkatanBalrog99ThacoBellArvia
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 I would, but my wife loves the hair, even if there's less of it. I'm probably stuck with it at least as long as a hat can keep me looking presentable.

@Son_of_Imoen I'm turning 31 in 2 days. This started around the time I was 22.
    SkatanBalrog99ArviaStummvonBordwehr
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited October 2020
    @ThacoBell: I'm sorry to hear it, friend. No one deserves that. I hope it doesn't cause you too much distress. Some men look good bald; it looks extra masculine, and pairs great with a beard.

There are means of thwarting hair loss but they have side effects (I stopped Propecia when I heard it could cause irreversible erectile dysfunction), and I don't know how many forms of insurance would cover it. If it's coming in this late, it'll probably be a very slow loss.
    ThacoBellArviaStummvonBordwehr
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    This is what I usually listen to when I'm really bummed out:

It might help you as well. If you read through the comments in the video, you'll see some powerful statements.
    ThacoBell
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Why do you think it is bad to be balding or bald? Most of my friends could care less if a guy is hair challenged, in a way it is more attractive. I have a friend that told her children that Dwayne Johnson could do whatever he wanted to her at a picnic two months ago, they are all adults btw, her husband was like, Yeah, can’t deny that. Don’t do the combover, it’s a bit creepy, but no, not a big deal for women. It is okay that you are men, it is why we like you after all.
    Son_of_ImoenArviaThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    I'll just leave this here:

v8tczyoimt0l.png

Bonus:
    ms6s1lpkn9bg.png
    ThacoBell
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2020
    @ThacoBell , I don't know if it's a consolation, but people who have high levels of testosterone tend to go bald earlier than others :wink: .

That said, I think a shaved head (not to the bare skin, but really short) looks good on guys with a receding hairline. Certainly better than letting it grow and combing it over the bald patches! However, if your wife prefers you with hair, you'll either have to convince her or learn to live with it.

To shave your hair also has huge advantages when in lockdown. Imagine how people with fancy, carefully styled hair look after a few weeks! Unless they wear it long.

Edit: Kudos to @_Nightfall_ for the expression "hair challenged". Love it.
    ThacoBellSon_of_ImoenMichelleStummvonBordwehr
    Being bald doesn't bother me, I always figured I'd either look like Santa Claus or Master Roshi when I got old anyway. Its the bald spots that get to me. Lucky for me, I was able to find a nice hat yesterday super on sale from a place I realistically have no hope of ever affording normally :D

Nice hats over a shaved hat is the way to go to look cool! (At least, that's the way I like to look. The advantage being that with electric clippers and a mirror, you never need to pay for the hairdresser. Who, buy the way, despite the name 'dresser' doesn't ADD anything to your hair, but just SUBSTRACTS hair from your head, by means of scissors).
    ThacoBell
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Welp, it finally happened. My hair has been thinning slowly over the last 8 years, but I now have 2 visible bald spots, and they stand out even more because the rest of my hair is so thick. I don't mind the idea of being bald, but I really hate bald spots.

You should do something fun with it while you can. I had long hair most of my life, but when I started really losing it I ran around with a blue mohawk for a year before finally shaving it all off.

So we're finally coming to a point where we're probably going to have to kick out a player from our Vampire: The Masquerade game. Since he joined, everyone's been having noticeably less fun and we spend more than half of each a session arguing with him. Whether it's rules lawyering or the group telling him what he wants to do is stupid to him not liking when the world reacts to his actions and he's punished for them. I don't like that I have to do this, but there's 4 other players experiences to consider here and I know they're all getting pissed off with him. He also does not seem to want to actually play a personality, just destroy shit.
    ArviaStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    mlnevese wrote: »
    All diseases that affect memory are cruel beyond measure. The person is effectively dead, yet the body goes on and sometimes you can see glimpses of the person through the fog in their minds. One of my greatest fears is to have one of them when I'm older.

One of my greatest fears is to BE one of them when I get older...
    mlnevesesemiticgoddess
    edited November 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    All diseases that affect memory are cruel beyond measure. The person is effectively dead, yet the body goes on and sometimes you can see glimpses of the person through the fog in their minds. One of my greatest fears is to have one of them when I'm older.

??? mlnvese said his greatest fears was to HAVE one of all diseases that affect memory, if I'm reading it right. So how am I to read what you fear to BE ??? And what that BE means to the hermeneutics of mlnvese's HAVE ???
    mlnevesesemiticgoddess
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Balrog99 wrote: »

??? mlnvese said his greatest fears was to HAVE one of all diseases that affect memory, if I'm reading it right. So how am I to read what you fear to BE ??? And what that BE means to the hermeneutics of mlnvese's HAVE ???

Sorry, read it the wrong way. I thought the 'them' refered to a person with dementia, not the disease itself. So my post is saying I fear being a person with the disease. Basically I agree with mlnevese. Perils of the written word...
    mlneveseArviaSon_of_Imoensemiticgoddess
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2020
    I saw my wife's grandmother disintegrate slowly. First, she forgot trivial things, then she started to forget things in reversed order, newest events went first. One day she didn't remember her granddaughter was married and didn't recognize me anymore, then she forgot she had a granddaughter.

So no, the person that eventually died was not her any longer she had died a long time before her body did and we all suffered for her because the self-sufficient old woman we had all known was no longer there.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    ArviaJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad dad. Feels strange to say condolences after such a story, as you surely have very mixed feelings about such a departure. Do you feel grief still or just angriness, like the last part of your name, or something else?

A lot of mixed emotions. Anger, grief and in some ways relief he's not out there scamming people with his fake ass company investment scams. He was my Dad, and I had a shitty drunk ass crazy Mom that killed herself when I was 16, so I really needed him to be the good parent, which is why it took me so long to see he was such a piece of shit. Worst part is coming to realize how much shit she was right about when I got older.
    Rik_KirtaniyasemiticgoddessmlneveseSkatan
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Arvia wrote: »
    My boyfriend passed away 3 hours ago.

Please forgive the lack of adequate words... I'm so, so sorry. Sending you a mental hug. I hope you have someone to help you through this difficult time.

<3
    semiticgoddessArvia