Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited October 2020
    Chronicler wrote: »
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    From the description of Kiel's Buckler:
    This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion Killer, firstborn son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. Its light weight and excellent craftsmanship increase the Dexterity of all who bear it by a single point.

Oh, so its light weight and excellent craftsmanship make you more agile than you would be if you weren't using a shield at all?

This shield is in fact mostly helium, wrapped in a thin film of beholder flesh specially cured to continue levitating long after the beholder's death. If you jump, while carrying it, you float for a bit before the weight of your body pulls you back to the ground. Like Yoshi.

Amazing coincidence, I bought a pair of ear-rings from this shower curtain ring salesman at an airport that had that very same effect!
    Post edited by Balrog99 on
    ChroniclerAdam_en_tiumProont
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    XP values have always bothered me

120 XP for slaying the shadow archdruid yeah no
    ZaramMaldovarThacoBellsemiticgoddessProont
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    SirBatince wrote: »

Killing Marek gives 650 XP, while killing Lothander gives 4000 XP. I wonder if the devs accidentally got the XP values for those two characters switched.
    ZaramMaldovarProont
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309

@SirBatince Holy crap, really? That is definitely unfair.

Killing Marek gives 650 XP, while killing Lothander gives 4000 XP. I wonder if the devs accidentally got the XP values for those two characters switched.

@OlvynChuru Sounds that a legit possibility. Although given that you also receive 10,000 XP for finishing the quest I'm certainly not complaining.

Here's a logic of my own:

I'm not complaining that I can get 900 XP for talking Marl down and then an additional 650 XP for murdering him in cold blood afterwards, but I AM complaining that doing so doesn't affect your reputation.
    Montresor_SPProont
    Also can we talk about how no matter how many fire arrows those Kobold Commandos fire at you they still only drop 2?
    ProontThacoBellArvia
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

@SirBatince Holy crap, really? That is definitely unfair.

@OlvynChuru Sounds that a legit possibility. Although given that you also receive 10,000 XP for finishing the quest I'm certainly not complaining.

Here's a logic of my own:

I'm not complaining that I can get 900 XP for talking Marl down and then an additional 650 XP for murdering him in cold blood afterwards, but I AM complaining that doing so doesn't affect your reputation.

They fixed that in the Enhanced Edition, didn't they? I haven't tried in a great many patches, but I remember it was one of the first things I noticed after I bought the game.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maybe Marl is beligerent to everyone and gets into multiple fistfights a day. Hence, no one cares when someone puts him down.
    ZaramMaldovarsemiticgoddess
    @semiticgod
    In Durlag's defense, he was driven completely insane by the dopplegangers so I can't exactly seem him being a reasonable guy.
    semiticgoddessProont
    Interestingly, shamans have separate vows, so their lack of heavy armor isn't a matter of being opposed metal armor specifically. As such it doesn't have the same workarounds like Ankheg Plate.

Apparently it does still have workarounds though. I hear in Shadows of Amn they can get some pretty solid armors. I'd love to know what the exact vows are behind their weapon and armor choices.
    ZaramMaldovarProont
    Tazok: Is chunked into a million pieces by Dorn or Khalid or really any capable fighter in Baldur's Gate.

Also Tazok in BG2: I'm back, lol.
    ChroniclerProont
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Tazok: Is chunked into a million pieces by Dorn or Khalid or really any capable fighter in Baldur's Gate.

Also Tazok in BG2: I'm back, lol.

Tazok has friends in High Places.

"I've got friends on the other side!"
    ChroniclerMontresor_SPZaramMaldovarProont
    @ThacoBell
    "He's got friends on the other side"

That's an echo gentlemen; just a little something we have here in Louisiana. Little parlor trick, don't worry..."
    ChroniclerThacoBellProont
    Doctor Facilier was such a cool villain.

I especially liked his "I got voodoo I got hoodoo I got stuff I ain't even tried" line.

Like just the casual blasphemy. His curios are all things that certain belief systems treat with a certain amount of reverence, but it's all just a means to an end for him. It's all just power.

Of course, it's likely that same lack of respect for the forces he was meddling in that ultimately did him in. Mama Odie probably would've warned him about his "friends on the other side" if he'd cared to listen.
    ZaramMaldovarThacoBell
    He carries that whole movie. I wish people remembered Princess and the Frog more fondly entirely for his sake.
    ZaramMaldovarChroniclerProont
    20 hours from Ancient Ruins to Nashkel, only 16 back. Or was it the other way around? The point is it's silly.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There are a lot of asymmetrical travel times in the BG map. And hey, in the real world, travel times can be asymmetrical as well. Just ... not usually by that much.

One of the weirder travel time issues: 4 hours from Nashkel to the Nashkel Mines. No travel time between Nashkel and the Nashkel Carnival, either way. 8 hours from the Nashkel Carnival to the Nashkel Mines.
    ChroniclerZaramMaldovarSon_of_ImoenProont
    @jmerry
    Yep, also 72 hours between the Cloakwood Mines and the Friendly Arm one way but only 68 the other. Honestly we could probably talk about this all day.
    Proont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Less loot in the way back XD
    Son_of_ImoenZaramMaldovarProont
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2020
    20 hours from Ancient Ruins to Nashkel, only 16 back. Or was it the other way around? The point is it's silly.

What area is called Ancient Ruins?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I'm guessing the excavation site
    ZaramMaldovarSon_of_Imoen
    @Son_of_Imoen @lroumen
    That is correct. The excavation sight with Charleton Nib and Brage. It's directly to the West of the area you encounter Drizzt.
    Son_of_Imoen