Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    @LiamEsler‌ i dunno how to report bugs but i downloaded the beta today and played a bit. i noticed the battle music do not stop after the battle ends, and that happened twice in this game: on the first battle of the game, against a gibberling in the crossroads, and again in the crossroads against xvarts/ogre with belts.

Also, if you uncheck the "scaling UI", the font in floating tooltips will not be centered in the parchment textbox, not sure if its meant to be like this but i found it unfitting.

Hope it helps, i dont know how else can i help with this
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    LiamEsler said:

won't occur until he returns in a week or so I believe.

So, we have an indirect confirmation that the patch won't come this weekend and we have to wait a little bit longer at least till the next Friday.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    CrevsDaak said:

Durand said:

Just a small bug report. If you get the Madness Most Fowl quest from Kissiq after completing Restoring Melicamp, you're stuck with the quest in your journal.

I don't mean to offend my saying this... But that issue is know from ages ago.
    Do you know if it was logged as an issue - had a quick look and couldn't see anything.
    edited July 2014
    @Itomon‌ the continued music looks like it is either raised as issue 7359 or similar to it. The cause of that seems to be if the enemy is killed with the first combat action but I could have mis-understood.

I tried deselecting scale user interface and didn't see any difference. What screen size did you have and could you give an example floating tooltip that is affected please, i.e. the text content.
    Thanks
    edited July 2014
    I've just encountered 2 potential issues in the beta.

1 Spirit armour prevents resting if saving throw failed. Issue 7042 was raised for BGII:EE but also affects BG:EE.

2 Spirit Armour stacks with monk armour benefits. e.g. Dark Moon Monk level 6 has armour class reduced from 2 to -7. With a Ring of Protection +2 Spirit Armour reduces it from 0 to -9. Is this intended. Edit; then adding a Dark Moon Monk takes it from -9 to -12.
    Post edited by Gate70 on
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    One bug that I noticed that's still there is the lack of halberd weapon proficiency for the Flind form of the Polymorph Self spell. The Character screen is showing a THAC0 penalty of 5.

Another thing I am not sure if it's intended or not (nor if it was around with the original BG games) is when you're in the Sword Spider form and you use a sequencer to cast Chill Touch (or another replace your weapon spell) the Sword Spider is no longer immune to Web. Also the Sword Spider form does not use poison unlike the original. Also intended?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    I still can't help but imagine that testing would be completed about 1 billion percent quicker if the developers took advantage of the Beta Opt-In facilities available in Steam. I seriously don't understand why you can't upload a beta version for Steam users, you retain no need to force everyone to use it until it's properly tested and ready.

Does making a beta available on Steam, cost money?
  • philosopherphilosopher Member Posts: 2
    Franpa said:

I still can't help but imagine that testing would be completed about 1 billion percent quicker if the developers took advantage of the Beta Opt-In facilities available in Steam. I seriously don't understand why you can't upload a beta version for Steam users, you retain no need to force everyone to use it until it's properly tested and ready.

My understanding is the Atari is the one who put the game on Steam and is in charge of it on Steam.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited July 2014
    @Gate70‌
    Pretty sure that Spirit Armor stacking with monk bonuses is intentional. Monks' base AC is always 10 but they get an AC bonus depending on their level, rather than having their AC set to something, as is the case when you put on a suit of armor or use one of the Armor line of spells.

For example, Potions of Defense and Potions of Invulnerability will set a monk's base AC to 0 from 10. Since they're not wearing armor, it is basically a -10 AC bonus. If they were wearing Bracers of AC 3, their base AC would be set to 3 from 10, and then set to 0 from the potion because 0 is lower than 3. Then AC bonuses from their monk level or Rings of Protection, etc. would apply to lower it further.
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    I tried deselecting scale user interface and didn't see any difference. What screen size did you have and could you give an example floating tooltip that is affected please, i.e. the text content.
    Thanks
    First, turn off the scaling option. Then, reduce the font size. Next, try hovering your mouse over a character: the word in the scroll-hovering-tooltip will be reduced by the font size, but the image of the scroll is the same, so the word is very small and in the upper left corner of the overly big scroll floating image.
    Not really an issue for me, but it happened. I had little time to test it yesterday, but today is friday (yay!) and I may be able to play a bit longer :D

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2014
    @Flashburn‌ that's the thing though, in vanilla BG2 the monk's AC was implemented as setting the monk's base AC. This was changed in the EEs for some reason, and now the monk's AC now stacks with potions/bracers/etc., which it never did in the original. I think it's debatable whether this is an appropriate change.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

@Flashburn‌ that's the thing though, in vanilla BG2 the monks AC was implemented as setting the monk's base AC. This was changed in the EEs for some reason, and now the monks AC now stacks with potions/bracers/etc., which it never did in the original. I think it's debatable whether this is an appropriate change.

Yea the wording of "Starts with an Armor Class of 9 at 1st level and gains an additional +1 bonus every 2
    levels" is sort of ambiguous in terms of saying whether the bonus should be treated as base AC or another effect giving a bonus to AC. I haven't checked what the original BG2 says in terms of wording though.
    edited July 2014
    @Flashburn‌ I did some tests with a monk and sorcerer, comparing enhanced edition to Baldurs Gate Trilogy as vanilla BG doesn't include monks. Perhaps not an ideal test (details below) but the fix for BGII:EE is consistent with the earlier game while BG:EE is not.

BGT
    Level 1. AC5. Potions reduce to -4. Spirit Armour reduces to -3. Both reduces to -4.
    Level 7. AC2. Potions reduce to -4. Spirit Armour reduces to -3. Both reduces to -4.
    Level 19. AC -4. Stays at -4 with potions or spirit armour.

BG:EE open beta.
    Level 1. AC5. Potions reduce to -5. Spirit Armour reduces to -4. Both reduces to -5.
    Level 7. AC2. Potions reduce to -8. Spirit Armour reduces to -7. Both reduces to -8.
    BGII:EE
    Level 19. AC -4. Potions reduce to -14. Spirit Armour reduces to -13. Both reduces to -14.
    The fix for BGII:EE
    Level 19. AC -4. Stays at -4 with potions or spirit armour.

Potions would still give improved saving throws (invulnerability) at all levels but not an armour class benefit at higher levels. Same for spirit armour.

& original kit text
    "A monks natural armour class gets better as he goes up in levels. His armour class starts off at 9, and then decreases by 1 for every 2 levels".
    @Itomon‌ I am still unable to replicate - the text size remains the same for me - so wondering if it depends what graphics card is being used or particular resolutions etc.
  • iodvariodvar Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if the game breaking lag that seems to have been brought into the game last patch has been fixed? I just purchased this for a laptop and literally am unable to play due to the horrible lag...
  • MonarchXMonarchX Member Posts: 15
    Hi there! What can I do to improve my chances of being selected to beta-test Patch 1.3? I would be honored if BeamDog would allow me to contribute to this community and development of BG:EE by beta-testing Patch 1.3. I have familiarized myself with the exact issues that patch is supposed to fix and have plenty of time I can devote to accurately and properly test this patch, monitor for any new issues, and report my findings to help BeamDog release a finalized version of this patch to all BG:EE owners, showing its high level of support and dedication to deliver the best experience BG:EE could provide. I'll definitely make sure of it (if I am lucky enough to be accepted into the Patch 1.3 Beta-testing). I have already applied. Please don't let my post-count fool you in regard to my dedication and activity within this community. I've just arrived, but I am here to stay until what must be done is done!
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    MonarchX said:

Hi there! What can I do to improve my chances of being selected to beta-test Patch 1.3? I would be honored if BeamDog would allow me to contribute to this community and development of BG:EE by beta-testing Patch 1.3. I have familiarized myself with the exact issues that patch is supposed to fix and have plenty of time I can devote to accurately and properly test this patch, monitor for any new issues, and report my findings to help BeamDog release a finalized version of this patch to all BG:EE owners, showing its high level of support and dedication to deliver the best experience BG:EE could provide. I'll definitely make sure of it (if I am lucky enough to be accepted into the Patch 1.3 Beta-testing). I have already applied. Please don't let my post-count fool you in regard to my dedication and activity within this community. I've just arrived, but I am here to stay until what must be done is done!

If you bought the game directly from Beamdog (i.e. not the Steam version) you can sign up here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30515/sign-up-for-beta-access-windows-mac-only#latest
  • MonarchXMonarchX Member Posts: 15
    Yes - I did buy directly from BeamDog and I did sign up using that link about 5 hours ago, but I've yet to receive a notification regarding my acceptance.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @MonarchX - I think @Dee does the beta provisioning, and he's on vacation. So, you may have to wait until he returns.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @iodvar, I have not noticed any lag on my end after the update, and I am using Intel integrated graphics. What hardware are you using?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gate70 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Durand said:

Just a small bug report. If you get the Madness Most Fowl quest from Kissiq after completing Restoring Melicamp, you're stuck with the quest in your journal.

I don't mean to offend my saying this... But that issue is know from ages ago.
    Do you know if it was logged as an issue - had a quick look and couldn't see anything.
    I don't have access to the list of bugs in the support webpage, I could ask for permission to enter, but Beamdog might not agree because I'm underage and their group of NDA-bound beta testers is very little.
  • hrt611hrt611 Member Posts: 1
    Franpa said:

i agree. it's very frustrating to watch the counter slowly tick up towards five hundred when it would surely go faster if steam users (like myself) were allowed to participate
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    Try to make bards more inline with handbook
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    toshiro said:

Try to make bards more inline with handbook

Install Rogue Rebalancing.
    That said, apparently this patch will indeed tweak Bards, but as I'm not testing the Beta, I can't be more specific.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Franpa said:

It's not like I'm a fan of Overhaul's pace of work, but anyway: how much do you think your everyday steam user knows about an infinity engine? Nothing. Many modders are currently a betatesters for a reason, because when finding a bug they can tell what's wrong, which script doesn't work properly and things like that. I could have sworn that I one read about how beta testing this game looked like and it wasn't just playing the game, but rather testing the scripts over and over again. It wasn't a gameplay, but a chore. No everyday player could do it, if that is the case.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @cmk24 good catch when it comes to the Atari logo.
  • PwnziePwnzie Member Posts: 4
    Hmm 88/500, at this pace, it's going to be ready in 2015 or almost. :(

I'd really appreciate a steam beta.