Skip to content

Speculations and wishlists for new IWD:EE content.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I still say IWD can be played as pure story. The action exists to break up your internal narrative, and the 'wow' factor of the pretty impressive scenary.

Also, plenty of NPCs in IWD have a history... ie The Black Wolf. They srent playable NPCs though.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hmm, I do love my NPC companions but implementing them without changing the tone of the game could be difficult.

However, I am very sad that IWD had basically no memorable characters in it. Like seriously, I don't remember anyone (if you don't count Xan's cousin Erevain, whom I only remembered because of Xan).

I just wish that the already existing characters would get more stuff to do, maybe some can join you as temporary companions (similar to how you can get reinforcements when you go smoke out Bodhi's lare in BG2). You know, folks you would want to draw fanart of ;)
    JuliusBorisovPoupipoupipou
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    2 things.
    Joinable npcs like in bg2, that comment on certain events.
    bg1, 2 and iwd merged into one launcher.
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisovRaistlin82
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I wouldn't mind Baldur's Gate 1 style NPCs that don't have very intricate stories and have like one quest that isn't too involved.
    JuliusBorisovElrandirDanathionlolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @Buttercheese‌ it's just that I really like the creative control when creating a party in IWD. I don't necessarily hate the idea, but it's not what I prefer to happen in IWD.
    Well, I doubt that if they would actually ad NPC companions, that they would scratch the option of a self generated party.
    SilverstarkaguanaJuliusBorisovDanathion
    edited September 2014
    That's true. As long as the NPCs don't come at me like I'm a magnet, I could just ignore them.
    ButtercheeseSilverstarJuliusBorisovElrandir
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    It is certainly highly satisfying to create your entirely own party and the lack of companions doesn't make the game worse in any way. I also agree they'd change the tone and pace of the game a bit. But their addition wouldn't make things worse either. In the same way you can play the Baldur's Gates without any NPC companions by starting a multiplayer game and filling it with your own characters and ignoring any the game throws at you, you could just ignore them in Icewind Dale as well. The Icewind Dales' character management is just the multiplayer with character arbitration at reloads removed after all.
    Nimran said:

As long as the NPCs don't come at me like I'm a magnet, I could just ignore them.

Exactly :)

Assuming the game doesn't have any companions added to it allready they could even be added as downloadable content, thus making it a personal choice whether the game has them or not.
    kiwidoc said:

an extrememly buxom fairy in extremely revealing clothes walking thru the snow)

... I don't see the problem, sounds perfect to me ^.^
    ButtercheesekaguanaJuliusBorisovElrandir
    Well, the thing is, from what I got out of the IWD(2) NPC projects, modding NPCs into the engine was a bit more difficult compared to BG2. So now that IWD basically runs on the BG2 engine, I think that modding in companions might be easier now.
    I could be completely wrong on that part though.

Either way, especially after having a long talk with @LadyEibhilinRhett‌ on skype, I have a *dire* need for a Xan companion mod for IWD. All this potential, I can't even hold it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I just realized that it is now possible to adapt SCS to Icewind Dale EE :)
    ArdulJuliusBorisovAstroBryGuyDexter
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I'm wondering what kind of easter egg they're putting in... Considering IWD didn't feature joinable NPC's ... So I'd say a NPC like Baeloth / Wilson is out of the question... No? ... Wonder if they make something silly instead... They must do, right? I mean... They have too!

God I can't wait!
    ArdulJuliusBorisovElrandirButtercheese
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I would seriosly like if IWD:EE had a hardcore mode as well.

I'm a long fan of that feature request for BG but in the case of IWD I think the case is stronger than ever. It's a game for trying your own parties, so why not to include an option for a hardcore mode? :)
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    The game, in my opinion, does not require joinable NPCs. This will divert Overhaul's resources away from doing what they are supposed to be doing, I think: facelifting and 'enhancing' the game we currently know. IWD is more of a dungeon romp, with less engaging dialogue and emotional entanglement with NPCs, and I can replay the game happily with those conditions being present. What would make the game even BETTER would be the chance to play as many new kits that mean that my party in each playthrough doesn't feel formulaic or replicated from my previous playthrough.

Some nice kits, please! A few new spells would be great. On top of this, however, I would love to see more magical items and random loot tables, which are a big part of what makes the game fresh on each playthrough. ... Maybe a couple of new areas with nice and nasty encounters for my party to overcome. ;)
    KamigoroshiSharGuidesMyHandNimranWandering_Minstrel
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    White Puddings would be awesome to encounter in this arctic setting! ❤
    ElrandirButtercheeseNimranrufus_hobart
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    What spell effects will it be using? I'm guessing BG2 spells however the spell effects from IWD were much prettier and would certainly be my preference.
    recklessheart
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    decado said:

What spell effects will it be using? I'm guessing BG2 spells however the spell effects from IWD were much prettier and would certainly be my preference.

I think it was said in another thread that they ported all the IWD effects into the new engine so the EE will use the originals, but I can't seem to find the link right now...
    recklessheartGrammarsalad
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2014
    I personally don't think a massive amount of enhancement is required, surely it's pretty nearly there? Would love to see recruitable NPCs and more quests. Kuyloks? NPC mod really enhanced the game more than any graphical tinkering could ever do for me.
    Buttercheese
  • fish0331fish0331 Member Posts: 197
    the ability to make a vampiric half-tarrasque PC
    ElrandirButtercheeseSanctifer
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    How many mods are there that add NPCs to IWD? I could only find "IWDNPC":

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=174&Itemid=122

A fixed set of 5 NPCs, though with variable classes from the looks of it. Are there any more?
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
    @Thels There is only this one. The old IWD engine was really hard to mod lacking many necessary commands.
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks for the reply. But if I understand correctly, the IWDEE version will use the BGEE engine, so this should be easier?

I guess it's not far-fetched to consider someone porting over IWDNPC to IWDEE, but exactly five NPCs feels rather restrictive. Here's hoping people will build upon that.
    Kamigoroshi
    @Thels I'm quite sure new NPCs will be created by the community now that IWD uses a more flexible engine.
    ElrandirButtercheesekaguanaDexter
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2014
    The million dollar ($20) question though, will BD create new NPCs? :D

Also wilderness areas between story locations with additional quests and content would be fantastic! :D

IWD just feels so empty to me, that being said Kuyloks mod did make things much more enjoyable.
    mch202
    @Kamigoroshi‌ white puddings as a playable race would be nice.
    KamigoroshiElrandir
    jobby said:

The million dollar ($20) question though, will BD create new NPCs? :D

It does feel a bit out of place for them to do that, as it's lack of NPCs is what allures some people.

As long as they make sure modders have the freedom to include them in various ways.

As it stands, I'll probably wait until a couple of NPC mods are out there with hopefully interaction among each other as well, before I'll give IWD a try.
    Elrandirrecklessheart