Skip to content

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
edited November 2014 in Off-Topic
After a lot of debating I've decided against another run of IWD:EE and to go for IWD II instead. Downloaded the widescreen mod, Fix Pack & Tweak Pack and created my party. Well, what can I say.... the Enhanced Edition has totally spoiled me. While I thoroughly enjoy the 3E rule set, new sub-races and all the other great things the game has to offer I really miss the comfort of IWD:EE. Quick loot bar, Scaling UI and text size with resolution, polished inventory and record pages, etc.

So Beamdog... make Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition! Pretty please...?
  1. Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?929 votes
    1. I would totally play the shit out of this game
      91.93%
    2. Meh, probably not...
        8.07%
JuliusBorisovPibaroMusaabrede9VallmyrSmilingSwordloliendr_mudsGoturalfireandsteel73ShapiroKeatsDarkMageOriensAstyamKedaodanmarzbarz[Deleted User]_Luke_XeroshiSorcererV1ct0rLumyria

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Absolutely. I had trouble making it through IWDII in the first place; I'd have more trouble going back now. Like you said, spoiled.
    MrGoodkatMortiannaSorkdfireandsteel73
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    For me it would depend on what would be Enhanced =]
    JuliusBorisovIanTheWizardMatthieu
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    If it gives Beamdog more money and a better chance at making BG3 then I'll definitely play it, hell i'd play it even if Beamdog weren't actually going to make BG3.
    rufus_hobart
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I would probably never complete it, as I never did in the past, but yeh, I'd play it for life!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Nah. I'll take it for free though.
    jackjackCrevsDaaklelag200
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2014
    You betcha! I'd also buy Planescape: Torment as well. I want to see all these Infinity Engine games redone and updated.

I must have all the EE-edified Infinity Engine games! ALL OF THEM.

My sentiments exactly.
    NonnahswriterTCMan21
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    In a heartbeat.
    Scottfree9000
  • Scottfree9000Scottfree9000 Member Posts: 18
    add prestige classes and warlock class and I will pre-order
    ShikaoDreadnaughtjimmysdabestcop
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    I think it is a wonderful idea. I think it would be perfect for a multiplayer!
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    IWD2 or Planescape? You make the call.

Either one is probably tough those engines were completely different than the BG2 modified one.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Well, they have promised a BG2 1.3 patch, I don't know why it takes 11 months though. Personally I would have preferred more frequent, smaller patches. If you have a look at the bugs in the BG2 bugs thread, some of them would be very easy fixes. They could release one patch every 3 months and the state of the game would be MUCH better.

I agree about the popularity of IWD2 and thus the slim chances of IWD2:EE. I love it, but not many others do. If I was making a decision about where to invest my resources, you can bet I would invest them into PST, because it is a far more popular game.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    @Silverstar: Have you ever played IWD2? As opposed to NWN for example IWD2 does use the Infinity Engine. It just uses 3E rules instead of AD&D.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I would buy the shit out of it.
    by_the_sword[Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Still have IWD2 from when it first released. It still works fine, and I am still unable to complete the main campaign before boredom sets in.

Nice character creation, shame about the game.
    jackjack
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    If IWD1 EE is any indication, I'd rather not. I might change my opinion if IWD2 EE focuses on enhancing IWD2 and not BG1&2.
    IWD2 was one of the best IE games ever made. As gameplay went it neared perfection as far as the engine goes.
    Shikao
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    I would, particularly on phone ... I love the ability to play old school rpgs on my phone anywhere - so hard to find time to sit down for hours to play a computer game, but a phone? Always with me
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I'm probably one of the few that loved the ruleset implementation in IWD2. It just makes so much more sense - add two points of strength, and your damage and attack bonus increase by 1 each. Whether you go from 10 strength to 12 strength, or 20 to 22, the effect is the same. Compare that to BG2, where you have the exceptional strength scores, which make no sense. You have a deadzone in most ability scores from 7 to 14. There is no difference in having 9 dexterity vs 11. No difference whatsoever.

I love 3E. In Neverwinter Nights. Not so much how it fits into IWD2. NWN engine has radial menus and stuff and queuable actions it works great. In the infinity engine, you have clunky additional screens to switch to and 1 special abilities menu. I just doesn't work for all the feats and stuff you can get.

In general I prefer D&D 3E over 2E anyday but the implementation of it in the infinity engine? Not so great.
    FinneousPJGod