Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Shikao said:

Due to lack of questions thread in BG2EE subforum, I will post mine here.

Is there any use for Sahuagin Scribe's Notes? Found in royal treasury in Sahuagin City.

Sahuagin Scribe's Notes bring an interesting insight into Sahuagin culture. But other than that, they're useless. There's no other purpose for them than take-read-put in a container/bag of holding/throw away.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Hi there, quick question I have today. How can I open .tra files on Android? Is there some app that recognize this extension? Thanks.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Cahir‌ can't you change the extension to .txt, open them and then change them back? If you can't I'd recommend making a search for an app that edits text or one that allows direct file management (I don't know anything about Android so I might be wrong).
    @CrevsDaak‌ yeah I thought about that at first, but the thing is I can't change the extenstion (only file name), so there was something like xxxx.tra.txt as a result and viewer couldn't open the file either way.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Cahir‌ sorry, no idea then :\
    Yeah, no problem. I changed file extensions on my laptop and then copied those files on the phone. I wasn't at my computer back then, but had the .tra files on my dropbox. Didn't occur to me to change extensions in the first place.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2015
    Would it be strange to ignore Rasaad in BG1 and then pick him up in BG2? Does any dialogue change if you had him in the party in the first game?

Edit: I'm planning on using the canon BG1 party, but I would prefer my character to romance Rasaad in BG2 instead of Anomen. (Although I want to romance Anny someday)
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Quick question regarding lore and multi classed characters:
    I just did a BG:EE solo run as a mage/cleric and I noticed that I only received lore increases (+3/level) when I gained mage levels and no increase when I gained cleric levels. Clerics should still gain +1/level, right? I know an extra 7 lore isn't a big deal by the end of the game but just thought it was odd...
    Also, I noticed the same thing with an earlier play through with an elf thief/mage multiclass but I assumed that it was a bug due to the thief and Mage sharing similar experience tables (I.e. Levelling up both classes at the same time).
    Has anyone else noticed this? Or has this always been the case with multiclassed characters and it's taken me over 10 years to notice it?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Noobacca‌ It's possible you only get the faster progression, like with THAC0.
    Well I don't have 1.3 for BG1 anyway, so no differences for me, then. Thanks, Ben!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Elrandir said:

Well I don't have 1.3 for BG1 anyway, so no differences for me, then. Thanks, Ben!

Pretty sure the romance info would be transferred anyways. As long as you have the latest BG2EE patch that is.
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Is the team already at work on upcoming updates? Will they continue to provide the patches?
    or Dev are focused around Adventure Y development only?
    Parys said:

Is the team already at work on upcoming updates? Will they continue to provide the patches?
    or Dev are focused around Adventure Y development only?

@Parys‌ For which game? The next version of BG2:EE is being finished right now and will probably be out in the next three-ish months, I think. IWD:EE? I'm unsure. At the moment they may be waiting for more bug reports to come in while they work on other things. BG1:EE? The most recent version, V1.3 released in the fall of 2014, so a new version of that is unlikely to come out for quite some time. I'm not even sure if they plan to do a 1.3.5 or 1.4, but if they are then it's unlikely to be soon.

Note: I am not connected in any way with Beamdog or its affiliates. My answer is based on personal knowledge and opinion and may be wrong in either part or whole.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    BG2EE is the most up to date of the three games, except for the Mac and iOS App Stores, as they are still stuck at 1.2. BGEE is the oldest version of 1.3, so hopefully it will be the next game to be patched. There are quite a few things I'm looking forward to having backported from the newest engine patch.
    edited January 2015
    ^ He's right. I got confused because BG2:EE isn't 1.3 on the app store, although it is for the other platforms.
  • BlinkkBlinkk Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2015
    Is there a list somewhere of all the default keyboard shortcuts in BGEE for PC?
    Blinkk said:

Is there a list somewhere of all the default keyboard shortcuts in BGEE for PC?

Should largely bg the same as BG2's. You can check them out yourself by going into the Gameplay options and clicking "Assign keys" at the top of that screen.
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2015
    Should protection from magical weapons protect from vorpal hits? My summoned Planetars vorpalled the Elemental Lich even though they had PFMW up.

Edit: I just tested attacking with a silver sword a party member with PFMW. It said "weapon ineffective". I guess the PFMW must have worn off although the Lich was vorpalled very quickly.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    @Rooksx‌

Just to give an answer.

Vorpal attacks go through Stoneskin and Ironskins. But they don't go through the appropriate weapon cannot hit. For e.g., the Silver sword goes through Mantle but is blocked by Improved Mantle. The Ravager goes through Mantle&Improved Mantle. But both weapons, being magical ones, are blocked by Protection from magical weapons.

So, Protection from magical weapons should protect from vorpal hits of any weapon that is magical. And there're no non-magical weapons with vorpal hits in the game.
    edited January 2015
    Rooksx said:

Should protection from magical weapons protect from vorpal hits? My summoned Planetars vorpalled the Elemental Lich even though they had PFMW up.

Edit: I just tested attacking with a silver sword a party member with PFMW. It said "weapon ineffective". I guess the PFMW must have worn off although the Lich was vorpalled very quickly.

Planetar's get a fair number of attacks per round. Could have just gotten lucky. :)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2015
    So, I finally updated my bg2 to the latest patch, and I'm looking to rock with a few mods. Can any knowledgeable peeps give me the best install order to plug in the following:

SCS
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Item Revisions
    Spell Revisions
    Assassinations
    Unfinished Business
    Item Randomiser

Also, are there any conflicts in these? Components that I should avoid? Oh... and please reassure me that they're all good with the latest patch!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    SCS is certainly good with the last patch and I believe should be installed last, advice on scs install order can be found in its readme. you might want to try ascension as well, it makes ToB much more epic.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @abacus Do you have access to V4 version of IR and SR? If not send me a PM, they are waaaay better than the official V3 for BGEE. Anyway, I'd say:
    - Assassination
    - Unfinished Business
    - Rogue Rebalancing
    - Item Revisions
    - Item Randomizer (*)
    - Spell Revisions
    - SCS (this need to go after Revisions mods, because it checks for them and uses their resources like tweaked spells and even new spells)

(*) for BG2 I strongly recommend to try IR's Store Revisions at least once without Randomizer.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    How do you get uploaded screenshots to show up in a post so that when you click on them, they reopen in a new expanded window? When I upload a pic, it downloads when I click on it.

Thanks.
    @SharGuidesMyHand Don't delete the thumbnail post? I always click the thumbnail and THAT'S what opens the new tab/window. Could just be my computer's setup, though. I'd get a second opinion.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @SharGuidesMyHand To my knowledge it depends on the format of the image. In my personal experience a .jpg will expand when clicked on while a .bmp (which is the default format of a BG screenshot) will download when clicked on. Whenever I upload a screenshot I change it to a .jpg first.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Tresset said:

@SharGuidesMyHand To my knowledge it depends on the format of the image. In my personal experience a .jpg will expand when clicked on while a .bmp (which is the default format of a BG screenshot) will download when clicked on. Whenever I upload a screenshot I change it to a .jpg first.

That would explain a lot - thanks for the advice.