Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
An idea has come to me to make a thread where we can share unpopular opinions about things in BG and other IE games.

1. Cernd is far from being useless NPC.
In fact, he has tons of high-level druid spells and if CHARNAME is not a druid, than by not having a second class Cernd offers a lot of variety in lvl 6-7 spells if compared to Jaheira. If use the high-level druid spells right, almost any fight in SoA becomes a lot easier.

2. Darts can be a good choice as a ranged weapon for a fighter.
Thalantyr's shop in BG1 has tons of useful darts, Sorcerous Sundries make it even better. There's an unlimited +3 dart on the first level of the Watcher's Keep, available not long after escaping from the Irenicus dungeon. Darts provide 3 APR and with addition APR from specialization and fighter class your darts stay a wonderful weapon from the Candlekeep and to the Hell.

3. 2 thieves in a party is not too much.
I prefer to focus on setting traps and dispelling illusions with one of them and to hide in shadows for backstabs with another. Also, there're Open Locks and Disarm Traps skills. There're always multi-class options available. For example, your character can be a multiclass fighter/thief with amazing backstabs while Tiax or Jan Jansen is focused on setting traps to the place you lure your enemies to. Or maybe a half-orc assassin for backstabs and poison weapon and Hexxat for other thieving skills.

4. Mazzy's relatively low starting STR is not a problem.
She has innate Strength spell, there're lots of STR-enhancing items in BG2, so that leaves you with a shorty fighter (and thus all saving throws bonuses) who has a chance to become GM in any weapon you like (or choose a standard short bow proficiency providing 5 APR with the Tuigan bow).

5. Keep trying using every and each consumables in any fight if you have any.
You won't believe how easier it will become if your fighters nearly always have 22-23 STR for fights and get their saving throws improved drastically. Wands will often be enough to defeat even bosses.

Carry on! Share the things that are relatively not popular among BG fans.
dunbarMusignydockaboomskiFlashburn[Deleted User]DJKajuruNonnahswritersemiticgoddessGrumSmilingSwordRavenslightEmpyrialBlackravenStarflower2525FinaLfrontMoradinAerakarQuartzlolienAnduinKilivitzSkatanmlneveseMetaSiegDexterHalfOrcBeastmasterPantalionCaradocmashedtaterslelag200CrevsDaakO_BrucebrusdstoltzfusAethernautARKdeEREHTimbo0o0o0kansasbarbarianmonicoBlackbɨrd

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I completely agree that darts are underrated.

Also hugely underrated IMO is Viconia - but thankfully that misconception has recently been corrected in this thread https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42849/viconia-and-usefulness#latest
    JuliusBorisovAerakarlolienkansasbarbarian
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @KingGhidorah I don't think you get to cast 9th level spells without ToB installed.
    Montresor_SP
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    @FinneousPJ My bad. Although this makes Time Stop even more of a useless spell...
    Montresor_SP
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Viconia is the best Npc in the game!!!
    SmilingSwordBlackravenOzzyBotkinsARKdeEREH
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited August 2015
    elminster said:

Hexxat :)

That is an unpopular opinion, indeed.

Umm, how about I finished BG the first time with Ajantis, Yeslick, Quayle, Xan, and Garrick? That's like 2 for 5 in popular opinion.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightBlackravenLadyEibhilinRhett
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    1. I really don't like Clara, and I find Hexxat to be okay.

2. Cernd is one of the best divine spell casters in the game.
    He levels up faster than Jaheira, and Viconia. He gets to higher level divine spells faster. Lastly, he isn't an illegal multi-class like Assnomen Anomen.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenlelag200
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FinneousPJQuartz
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @semiticgod should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.
    JuliusBorisovmashedtatersCrevsDaak