Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    bengoshi said:

So, nothing in this world will give Baldur's gate and Icewind Dale games "faster levelling speed" similar to recent RPG games (and I have to admit, thankfully so).

Not true. Playing with the amount of XP the party gets per encounter can significantly increase or decrease the leveling speed of the game. This can be observed with the remove trap XP difference in BG1 and BG2.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

You know, this reminds me of that time, wa-a-a-ay back...
    lolienSkaroseDragonspearbooinyoureyes
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    They should have kept it secret until the day before the release.
    We are now suffering with the disease called TORTURE HYPE :smiley:
    FaydarkDragonspear
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    it's really annoying to see such an answer after nearly 4 months since the annoucement.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Nimran said:

Another page in my diary:

Things I have in common with Trent Oster- we both say "Good question!" when we don't know the answer.

http://freakonomics.com/2015/01/15/thats-a-great-question-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/
    JuliusBorisov
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited October 2015
    Fardragon said:

brus said:

Why would you limit that choice because of slow leveling?

Because overcoming challenges with limited resources is more fun than nuking everything out of existence.
    In your opinion... =D

I sort of agree, but I think it's pretty subjective as to where that sweet spot is between challenge and roflstomping.

I admit to enjoying both.. I can really enjoy a good challenge, and the thrill of beating it after many attempts to figure it out is cool. But I also enjoy jumping on my high level characters in MMO's and going back to lower leveled content and just mowing it down. I feel like it is something that should be able to be changed by the player (and indeed, with the EE's I think the XP rate is able to be changed by the config file now?)
    But Baldur's Gate doesn't have slow levelling.
    ... compared to pnp. Which wasn't what brus was comparing it to. Apples to Apples and all that. I think it's mostly fine myself with the party sizes I play, but it's definitely slower than many other CRPGs.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's not slower. what slows it down is reading, but you can make a quicker speedrun of bg games than most other rpgs
    lolien
  • zolopzolop Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2015
    brus said:

Fardragon said:

brus said:

I got used to recent RPG games which have much faster leveling speed

I'm sorry for your loss.
    You got me wrong. I adore BG series gameplay. But playing BG2 I noticed that with some mages I couldn't get some spells because I haven't explore particular areas and I finished the game before getting the higher level spell. But I wanted to use it and try it out. I don't mind that you have to find some secretly hidden spell scroll. But mostly, level is limitation to use higher spells which are fun to use. Why would you limit that choice because of slow leveling?

Also, to ease the gameplay I would like some spell quickbar with a single key stroke. Just to speed up searching the desired spell in the middle of the big battle. Nothing else. Now, I press f5 and scroll to the end of spellbar. If it's cleric/mage class, search is even longer and tedious for the spell.
    For example, fast spellbar idea was introdued in NWN2 and DOS. I think that something similar wouldn't ruin the game's premise.

Edited out bad comparison....

Yeah and I do agree with his point....about level caps. seebelow

The point of the classes being gimped because of the level cap (monk, mage, rogue kits, for BG1, etc) is very valid too. I am fine for a challenging game, but not one the diminishes the tools at which to beat that challenging in complex or improper (though not hacking/cheating, except level cap removal) way.

Easy solution to this grey area for players that want level caps removed is add a gameplay option that is enabled with a checkbox that disables the level cap per game. Everyone wins. Win, win. There is already a couple of mods the remove level caps far before Enhanced Editions came out, would it really be that difficult to add this option? In the later case we could also use a community mod to disable level caps until a decision is made.

I just want to be clear at the end, I am fine with the leveling in the BG series, I just don't like the level caps because it really hurts some of the classes in BG1 and diminishes the tools at which to beat a challenging situation in complex or improper way (again not hacking or cheating).
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited October 2015

Something new will be shared from developers
    mlneveselolienVasculioJuliusBorisov
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    darrenkuo said:

Something new will be shared from developers
    I hope it's Siege of Dragonspear.
    Sylvus_MoonbowAstroBryGuy
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2015
    Hi @zolop and welcome to the forums!

I don't understand why the big fuss about the level cap. Some classes are definitely harder to play than others in BG1, but they get more overpowered in BG2. Removing the experience cap in BG1 will break the balance of the last best fights in the game. I totally understand your frustration as one of my favorite classes is the generalist mage. You can memorize just one level 1 spell when you start the game and you wish you had more level 5 spells or even access to the 6th level in the endgame, but the truth is the character is already powerful enough already.

As a long time gamer and a fan of the game I totally respect the fact that you want to remove the experience cap though, I have done this too.
    Why don't you just check the modding section for bg:ee? You will find a mod to remove the experience cap which is super easy to install and you will play and enjoy the game YOUR way!

edit: here you are https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1
    Post edited by Mirage on
    JuliusBorisovAdul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Remember I wrote about it? :)
    bengoshi said:

On October 23-25, 2015, there will be a panel Return to Baldur’s Gate: The Making of “Siege of Dragonspear” in Ramada Edmonton Hotel & Conference Centre:

"Why create an expansion for a 17-year-old game? Panelists from the Edmonton-based Beamdog are here to talk about Siege of Dragonspear, the upcoming expansion to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Panelists: Amber Scott, Andrew Foley, Philip Daigle, Mad Bee"

http://www.purespec.org/at-the-festival/2015-panels-and-demos/

I wonder, whether the use of the word "upcoming" (it's a rare thing to change descriptions for the events) means that as on October 22, 2015, the expansion won't be released yet.

It looks like it's indeed the "upcoming", as of now.

From http://www.purespec.org/at-the-festival/2015-games/:

Special Weekend Event: Siege of Dragonspear Demo

Local game developer Beamdog will be onsite all weekend promoting and demoing their video game, Siege of Dragonspear, the sequel to the ever-popular Baldur’s Gate. They’ll have an assortment of laptops and tablets available, so drop by their tables in the Main Hall to take the game for a spin!

I hope that for those who can't go there the demos, or at least a transcript of the panel, will be somehow available to watch/to read afterwards.
    loliencmk24Mirage
    Well, well, well.

Grey De Lisle (the Viconia's voice actress) added to her Favorites this tweet:

As football fans tend to often say in these situations, "Tier 0 confirmed".
    lolienFlashburn
    gamepressure.com thinks SoD will be released in 2016:

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=28429
  • StraffStraff Member Posts: 2
    bengoshi said:

gamepressure.com thinks SoD will be released in 2016:

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=28429

:'(
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    That's just about eleven weeks away! :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2015
    i think 2020 is also soon, beamdog will manage !
    Post edited by wojtek on
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    How many artists and programmers are working on SOD?
    With the release of POE and DOS, devs now have bigger pressure to deliver fresh experience. SOD has to be reminescent on old age of RPG with the breath of something new. I say they take their time.
    Post edited by brus on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    2016?

The light of Christmas has snuffed it in our house...

*Anduin looks for a bridge to jump off... As an undead gnome this will be a hollow exercise... But Anduin is feeling kinda flat already... So...*
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    I hope it gets done in 2016 (dodging rocks).

The Baldur's Gate games got played and loved for so long by so many people.
    It is a very hard thing to make a rpg video game today that will reach BG's fans' standards. The Beamdog team is small as long as its members claim and has a very difficult goal to reach. I am really glad they didn't rush to a BG3 but are making the SOD expansion, they will be much more experienced after this. Moreover creating and selling a video game is a difficult and complicated business, there are so many different things to attend to and unexpected problems of any nature can arise at any moment. Most of them never cross a gamer's mind.

SOD has to be created with care and love, it shouldn't be another fast shipped game created for just the reason of making money by it. Let's give it its time...
    JuliusBorisovAdullolien
  • zolopzolop Member Posts: 14
    Mirage said:

Hi @zolop and welcome to the forums!

I don't understand why the big fuss about the level cap. Some classes are definitely harder to play than others in BG1, but they get more overpowered in BG2. Removing the experience cap in BG1 will break the balance of the last best fights in the game. I totally understand your frustration as one of my favorite classes is the generalist mage. You can memorize just one level 1 spell when you start the game and you wish you had more level 5 spells or even access to the 6th level in the endgame, but the truth is the character is already powerful enough already.

As a long time gamer and a fan of the game I totally respect the fact that you want to remove the experience cap though, I have done this too.
    Why don't you just check the modding section for bg:ee? You will find a mod to remove the experience cap which is super easy to install and you will play and enjoy the game YOUR way!

edit: here you are https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

I think the confusion lies in not "harder to play" but instead for the people who want level cap see the level cap as "Obstructing different ways of playing a situation, by complex or improper ways (though not cheating/hacking)". Just wish there was a option in the game to check off for "no level Cap" so both players mindset could be satisfied. Both parties then get a level cap and then people can also choose to disable with a simple option checkbox.

Thank you for the link to the bg:ee modding section though! Will play BGEE again with friend, stopped playing it because of the level cap (we were a mage and a monk).
    Miragebrus
    There was a small talk some time ago that SoD had not been advertised well enough and that it had not become well-known in the games world. I didn't agree with that point of view and said that maybe while the majority of video-game players indeed didn't hear about SoD, those who were interested in RPGs knew about SoD well enough.

I'd like to mention that several sites, covering the recent release of Sword Coast Legends, mentioned SoD in the context.

For example: "Sword Coast Legends was just released and you should probably take a look at this quick preview of the game at Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN if you are hoping this will fill your time until Baldurs Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is released."

http://computer-hardware-review.com/?p=2404
    lolien
    When I look at it I want to touch it, to have it, to possess it!

NonnahswriterDragonspear
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Oh that's like adding insult to injury which was already salted a long time ago D:

Is there such a thing as an intra-dimensional portal Monitor that allows fetching through one's screen?
    JuliusBorisovwubblebrus
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Oh that's like adding insult to injury which was already salted a long time ago D:

Is there such a thing as an intra-dimensional portal Monitor that allows fetching through one's screen?

Not as of yet...I'd expect you'd have to fly to Edmonton. The good news is that during the weekend its going to be 10-11 degrees Celsius. Which is like balmy for Canada this time of year :)
    lolien