Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    edited April 2016
    et tu @dragonking?

Whats next? Reloads are overused?

Edit: Or should I say, respawning is better than reloading?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @FinnTheHuman
    Hey I gotta tell it how it is, my first time playing the game I couldn't even figure out wtf was going on. It wasn't until I realized that the actual animation had no connection to the rounds that I started to realize that it was pointless than. Call me weird, but I need that control over my character. I don't like them just swinging randomly like in BG.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    You don't like them swinging randomly!!!?? Now your just trying to be provocative. I can't take this anymore. I'm leaving. Just kidding, of course. Except about leaving. To all a good night :smile:
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @Mathsorcerer, I think that was addressed a little while ago, but that's only really as important as you claim when you're using mods like SCS that disproportionately buff enemy spellcasters. In an unmodded game, they're not really that much tougher than other enemies, and the Wizard Slayer will do much worse against Vampires or Golems or the like than, say, a Berserker.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mathsorcerer: A Wizard Slayer can inflict spell failure through Stoneskin, but not through weapon immunities. If a lich casts PFMW or a mage casts SCS Absolute Immunity, the only way a Wizard Slayer could impose spell failure is through area-effect ranged weapons like Fire Seeds.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    No worries. Just going with the flow of the thread--unpopular opinions and all that jazz. I am merely keen on Wizard Slayer right now because in my most recent run through BG2EE my WS killed Firkraag all by herself in one round and no pre-buff spells.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Unpopular opinion:
    Noober and Neeber are the best npcs in the game.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2016
    Personally, I'd have preferred listening to this song while the epilogues were playing at the end of Throne of Bhaal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYlgGyj4DjY
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149

I'm not sure if they're really overpowered without SCS or the like, but I do feel like they're a bit too common, especially from SOA onwards. Has anyone done a headcount of how many level 18+ mages are in the game, because I wouldn't be surprised if they number over 50, which seems excessive for just Amn, Tethyr, and a remote outpost in Calimshan.

I think the problem comes from the fact that at some point only thing that can actually hurt you in any meaningful way are the mages, others are merely cosmetic. So they had to spam mages everywhere for challenge (which is again a product of bad balancing)

I think the problem comes from the fact that at some point only thing that can actually hurt you in any meaningful way are the mages, others are merely cosmetic. So they had to spam mages everywhere for challenge (which is again a product of bad balancing)

I have a hard time believing that. We're talking about the intent of the game designers here, so unmodded game. In vanilla, is a generic high-level mage more dangerous than a beholder? Arguably not. More dangerous than a Balor? Probably not, although it depends on what resources you have. More dangerous than a Drow party with Cleric support? Still depends on what your party can do, but probably not. They're a significant threat, but only one among many, and I'd need a lot of convincing to believe that they're the biggest threat in the unmodded game, with their predictable tactics and subpar spell choice.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Oh and other: No-rest runs are a byproduct of neo-liberal capitalist ideology. Unlike what bourgeois tells you you need sleep to function well.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Oh and other: No-rest runs are a byproduct of neo-liberal capitalist ideology. Unlike what bourgeois tells you you need sleep to function well.

Unpopular opinion: Baldur's Gate is a byproduct of neo-liberal capitalist ideology.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    random evil parties attacking you on rest sounds like a fun idea. of course it would be a very rare "chance"

like the one when you leave Ust Natha under disguise
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2016
    I agree that darts are very underrated. A GM fighter can get a ridiculous amount of attacks with them each round. Couple that with the fact that most darts have secondary spell effects on hit and you have the final mage battling weapon. The stunning darts are especially good (the target gets a save vs. spells, iirc, but when 3 darts land the target, the chance to pass the three saves is slim even for high level enemies). Bear in mind that a GM fighter can throw 3 of them (followed by more in the same round but after others make their actions) before anythign else happens (darts have a very, very low speed number, coupled with the bonuses to speed you get for being GM, you will almost always throw your darts before anybody else can do anything).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I think chapter 7 (except Hell) of BG2 is underwhelming and not as epic an ending as I would like it to be.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    elminster said:

I think if you rest too often in the game you should be attacked by a party lead by Biff the Understudy. The party's composition would otherwise be made up of whatever native creature would otherwise attack you when resting.

(Biff attacking you with a group of illithid at his side. Tell me that wouldn't confirm your worst fears about how powerful biff really is)

No. The real FEAR of everytime long time BG player are not ilithids, dragons, Demogorgon or even Biff the Understudy.

The being that makes every BG player shudder is Noober (and his brothers).

I run as if all the devils from the Nine Hells were chasing me every time I see him.
    I used Kivan in one playthrough, and then never again. That Christian Bale Batman voice of his is just impossible to take seriously, and Coran's just as good an archer.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I never bought the in-universe explanation of the difference between mages and sorcerors. To me, the difference between them is purely technical.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

Karl Marx run, where you seize the means of production squeeze every last bit of gold from every bourgeois and upper class NPC no matter their alignment and aid the proletariat without asking for reward no matter their alignment.
    If Marx had been alive to see what Mao turned his thought into, I doubt he'd have more in common with Mao than with Liu Shifu or the married radical power couple of Liu Shipei and He Zhen. Gimme those Chinese radicals over Mao any day of the week.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited May 2016
    The Groucho Marx run: ...Oh wait, that's just playing a jester.

If the nightingale could sing like you...
    BillyYank said:

The Groucho Marx run: ...Oh wait, that's just playing a jester.

If the nightingale could sing like you...

Legacy of Chico difficulty