Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    Archaos said:

I hate gnomes. They're like an annoying combination of elves and halflings.
    (Better, senpai?)

Depends on the senpai. @Anduin -sama wouldn't approve.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Ayiekie said:

If Minsc had been a new character in the EE games, he would be loathed by many of the people who love him now.

@Ayiekie
    That's a good point, I never considered that.

Haters gonna hate.
    If the original NPC's were actually EE versions ,

Minsc would say silly jokes like "beware, well scrubbed evil"

Viconia would say stuff like "I'm listening" and "be direct" in a very cartoonish way

Jan would be screaming "I loooove turnips" or saying not-funny stuff like "call me a licensed cleric" or "possibly frosty death"

Imoen would scream "heya!" all the time....

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited May 2016
    bards and paladins are terribly boring to play in IE.

Not saying they're bad classes tho. They probably have the biggest RP potential in pnp. but in IE mage and fighter get the job done faster and better.

the paladin stronghold was so underwhelming and short I went as far as to delete my run and pretend it never happened.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Ribald is a terrible businessman. He should sell the scrolls of anti-magic for 30-50k gold and it would still be the best spent money in the game. One of the few ways to kill scs spell casting demi-liches without HLAs.

@Artona about your #45 if you can "roleplay" the cheese then of course it is efficient. Taking advantage of game engine limitations is not my idea of fun though. I think resting much, preparing an escape plan, abusing summons, scouting and pre-buffing is just common sense though. Welcome to the no-reload thread if you want to continue this discussion :smile:
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    edited May 2016
    I don't think comments of EE characters are much worse than original characters. "I command pure chaos! Kinda." <3
    46. Anytime I see someone else's CHARNAME that happens to be evil I'm like "wow, so edgy... totally not like MY evil Bhaalspawns!". ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited May 2016

Needing an expensive, rare book just to get into Candlekeep is complete and utter nonsense.
    It's a dreadful plot device and should have been dropped in the earlist planning stages.

My only explaination is that somebody was very drunk when they came up with it and nobody could be arsed to argue in case they were sacked.

It actually pre-dates BG. You can find mention of it in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

Edit: (and also on page 89 of the 2nd edition campaign setting).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Wow, this thread has really derailed off-topic! @bengoshi , May I suggest splitting off "Exceptional Strength Makes No Sense" into a separate topic, since it looks like people really want to discuss it at length?

In the meantime, here is my unpopular opinion that I came here to post:

As soon as I see three 18's on a character sheet in STR, DEX, and CON, I lose all interest in or respect for that character. My eyes get sore from rolling them too hard. I really hate min-maxing. (Mandatory disclaimer: This is just me, everybody else can play however they want and it's all good, yada, yada.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @BelgarathMTH for me it depends on the system/edition.
    When I'm playing 2e for example I have a hard time not min maxing because stats below 16 do very little for your character. While a Assassin with 18 Str and 18 Con sounds impressive, he only has -1 THAC0 +2 Damage +2 HP which is the equivalent of 14 Con / 13 Str in 3e and later editions.

But I do agree with you for any other games or other D&D editions.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

I have another unpopular opinion:

Most players who call themselves "chaotic neutral" are actually playing chaotic evil. At least half of players who call themselves "neutral evil" are actually playing chaotic evil. There are a *lot* more D&D players who love to play chaotic evil characters than will admit that to themselves or others. C'mon, just click on "chaotic evil" when you create your character. You know you want to.

As a person who will break the speed limit occasionally when driving... Yet fails on a regular basis to mug people... I classify myself as neutral...

Plus... What is your fascination with Chaotic Evil @BelgarathMTH , I am concerned. You tried to foist this particular alignment onto my playthrough character...

I picture you in my mind staring at a wall with pictures of people and clips of text proving their chaotic evil alignment, superimposed over a map, pieces of string linking them all together whilst you cradle your weapon in your vigilante batman suit muttering "Soon"

Probably an unpopular opinion.

We need Batman...
  • kellclkellcl Member Posts: 24
    Not sure if this qualifies as unpopular opinions, but I always use EE Keeper to tweak NPC proficiencies because I usually hate the defaults they come with. Usually, for whatever reason (role play?), NPC proficiencies are set up in a strange way, such as, a pip in Single Weapon Style, but 2 pips in Quarterstaff or some other two-handed weapon, for Jaheira, 1 pip in Quarterstaff, 2 pips in Clubs (really??), 1 in Sling, and so on. I have always imagined Jaheira as a stick fighter with natural bent, her BG1 portrait strongly suggests so. Everything else I can live with but the default proficiencies that NPCs come with is the most grating.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

@Anduin , I have a paladin's mindset, both in the game, and in real life. *casts Detect Evil on @Anduin , narrows eyes suspiciously.*

Seriously, I HATE evil. I absolutely *hate* it. I want it gone. The world would be so much better without it.

And yet, the saying "The way to Hell is paved with good intentions" is one of the oldest and most true our civilisation knows. Evil will be here. Your precious "Good" will always be corrupt, mostly by itself and succumb into Evil. Supported by zealots like you.
    Also... who draws the line between, what is Good and what is Evil?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Skatan said:

Harpers are douchebags.

The single most popular opinion evah!
    Really? I just thought most people liked them for some reason I couldn't ever understand. I know some of my friends always liked them.

I though they filled the same space as paladins, you know a bunch of horrible people within a horrible organization, that most people are totally fine with.