Skip to content

What's happening to Beamdog?

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited September 2016
    Actually that's something Beamdog could do a bit better IMO - a more robust release schedule for DLC and updated content... a few new classes every few months, a couple of new npcs, a few extra quests etc

For me, CD Projekt Red did this perfectly with TW3.
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    Well - CD Project Red are huge by now. I wouldn't be surprised if internal teams developing dlcs are as big as Beamdog in its entirety.

I think the current plan of focusing on few projects is a good idea. And with three projects of various sizes, there's a chance we'll get something along the lines of smaller updates as well.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited September 2016
    Mr2150 said:

Actually that's something Beamdog could do a bit better IMO - a more robust release schedule for DLC and updated content... a few new classes every few months, a couple of new npcs, a few extra quests etc

Looking at the number of bugs related to the Shaman on redmine, I wonder if introducing new classes every x months is feasible.

It would be nice if there could be some more clarity on the patching front. The idea of redmine is a great start, especially with 'next update' roadmaps, but it would be nice to know if there is actually something being done. For example, the Next Update has been almost completed, with just one bug needed to get fixed for more than a month. No one knows if it is still being worked on, if it is abandoned, if it might be integrated into a larger patch with more bugfixes not necessarily relating to the Infinity Engine.

As I've stated before: I am not expecting timelines. I was hoping for some expectation management on the side of BeamDog. My idea of a general topic in the news-forum could help with that I think.

(I know you said you would look into it @JuliusBorisov, but I thought I'd just say it again ;))
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I think the Shaman class is probably a unique case.

But anyway, I'm only suggesting that not all new content needs to be added all at the same time. Patching doesn't always have to be about bug fixes - it could include extras and improvements too.

By scheduling new content over a broader time period, one advantage is that you have a clear schedule of those updates in advance. When bugs do occur/get reported, the fixes can be planned into that release schedule as well...

It does require working in a different way, but it also allows prioritisation of bugs/changes, whilst giving the users something new, shiny and exciting over a longer period :)
    edited September 2016
    Mr2150 said:

I think the Shaman class is probably a unique case.

Could be, because of the way for example the spirit dance works you mean? In that case I agree. Maybe some other classes could be more easily adapted (perhaps from mods that have been using those classes for some time and thus ironed out the bugs).

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited September 2016

I'd pay for a 3e conversion.

Never gonna happen, I'm afraid. WotC is very adamant about burning older editions down to the ground.

As for adding new classes and Shaman problems, if you design your engine with the idea that it's going to receive new classes over time, that should cause a lot less issues than when you try to squeeze in a class into an old engine that was never designed for that purpose.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Can we get some info about new patch? For now roadmap doesn't fulfill its task.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Mr2150 said:

For me, CD Projekt Red did this perfectly with TW3.

About that, when considering the possibility of new content being added to BG2. Is there a bunch of ''red tape'' with WotC about permission to alter content or add new classes and so on. Or is that decision left to Beamdog themselves nowadays?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

The BG series is definitely among the best RPGs ever produced, but let's not pretend they were Shakespeare. There were always some cringy moments, transparent pop culture references, and one-dimensional characters.

I don't intend to say anything about SoD's supposed writing quality, but I will say that the nostalgia regarding the BG series is something I've always found pretty amusing. As one of the folks who contributed, I can personally attest to the existence of said cringy moments, transparent pop culture references (Umar Witch Project!), and one-dimensional characters. We didn't take ourselves all that seriously, which gave the entire series a kind of tongue-in-cheek D&D tabletop-at-2am vibe...which is not to say it wasn't also fun and awesome, but I would not say it had my proudest moments of writing.

Hmm. Except maybe the Spectator Beholder and the "Eye Spy" imps. I take it back. That was indeed my proudest moment of writing. :)

I would say that the "Knights of Pen and Paper" games best recapture the tone of the original Baldur's Gate writing. o:)
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426

(Bengoshi) is a beast. .

Admit it, you only say that because he dislikes Imoen! :bawling:
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

and JuliusBorisov which it just dawned on me is Bengoshi :O

whaaaaaaaaaaaat
    Lol, i told him it was not a good idea :D But yeah, Bengoshi = Julius
    You believe it, but you are so wrong...
    Actually Julius is a Skin Dancer/Thief that killed the pour Bengoshi, and wearing his skin stole all his reactions points.
    Shortly after that he managed to backstab @Dee and stole also his administrator's privileges, the next victim will be king @TrentOster himself.

I warn you, don't trust him, he is not a man like you and me, is a beast, a very dangerous one.
    @TrentOster has contractual immortality until Shattered Steel 2 is released.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Yes, is a confession, I am guilty. Guilty of being hostile to an administrator of those boards, and now the cowed moderators are coming to bring me to Spellhood, the asylum for deviant forumers...

gorgonzola wears the cloak of not detection, casts his chain contingency 3x ADHW and wait, with a ring of air control in his finger :smile:
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    At least he didn't whip out UBW...