Skip to content

Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    I don't remember ever getting one of those from a scholar. They can be gained in encounter spots sometimes though - I wondered if the dragon utopia was a potential source for the flying hero.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

You know what is strange. I also encountered enemy heroes that could fly. And then I defeated them (actually defeated them, not just making them run away). And I did not get any Angel Wings from them.

Now how would that be possible?
    The only explanation I would have is that my inventory was full so I could not pick them up.

See my above comment about dragon utopia?
    They can, but I thought there was a chance of learning spells there as well (or am I thinking about heroes 4)?
    I briefly looked at the starting positions for the other factions. None looked that promising, but I decided there might be some mileage trying to use the creature generators of the stronghold faction. They're quite exposed to the AI though, so building up forces didn't seem likely to work. Attacking and destroying red early on worked reasonably well, but was slow and I abandoned the game in a winning position rather than complete it. I'll have one more go at that to see if I can speed things up (one problem with that game was I never managed to learn diplomacy and had virtually no neutral stacks join).
    edited February 2017
    Shandyr said:

http://heroes.thelazy.net/wiki/Dragon_Utopia
    As far as I know you do not learn spells at a Dragon Utopia in HoMM3.

OK - I was probably thinking of the spell books (which you can get there) and would allow you to cast those spells normally rather than relying on artifacts duplicating the ability (such as angel wings).
    Julius played the Dungeon faction when he made his record.
    Right - but shifting to use of castle creatures is no longer such an attractive option now that you've nerfed all but one of the castle towns. I have anyway restarted with the stronghold and made some decent early progress with that - still a long way to go though, so I can't yet judge whether it will be a competitive run B).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I may replay this map in the newest version (if I get it) - you say Castle creatures are nerfed, but in the same time I already have experiece with this map. Let's see what the score will be :smiley:
    edited February 2017
    Shandyr said:

Oh btw I did switch off Tome of Earth and Tome of Air Magic for exactly that reason that they provide those spells.

Right you are - I saw the Tome of Water Magic in the previous game and didn't realise you'd blocked Earth and Air :). I also wouldn't worry about the stronghold generators. They're a nice feature to give you a chance of making good early progress, but even thousands of them wouldn't be as useful against a high level hero as alternative stacks.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Quick feedback. Starting as Fortress on Impossible (200%) is a no-go. Just check: the initial guardians are impossible to kill, which makes this starting point weaker in times if compared to other postions:

edited February 2017
    edited February 2017
    Yes, it will delay the game and thus decrease overall chances majorly.

To get gorgons you first have to defeat guardians, which is quite hard with only gnolls in the army. And again it will delay the game. There're no mines, mills on this area. Nearly no gold.

1 serpent fly - it is a scout (and flies come from a hero).
    edited February 2017
    I'd say just make so that these guardians are not 1) archers 2) improved units.

I've restarted and got simple skeletons in both places. Also, instead of the gorgon dwelling the new dwelling was for the 2nd tier. I think you need to make things consistant here.

I too like challenges and don't mind them. But the thing here is that different starting postions are not equal (this was the point Grond0 asked above), - or may not be equal if spawns are bad.
    edited February 2017
    I can't stop thinking about multiplayer, can I? Once I try, there's no way back.

Well, in this particular case I would stop trying Fortress if I didn't read your note about "it could have been even worse". From that, I figured out the guardians are random, so I gave it another go. And with the second attempt, things look much better - on the second week I now have a sawmill, and a sawmill for Fortress means everything.

I don't know how many players think the same and how many players would like to try again with the same town after seeing the what-turned-to-be-very-hard-guardians. It's for singleplayer, not multiplayer. Maybe it's my no-reload nature speaks inside.

Maybe make the north guardian not a random monster, but define the creature?
    edited February 2017
    edited February 2017
    I'm with you Shandyr - I don't think it's a bad idea at all to have variations in the difficulty for starting factions. I did also briefly look at the Fortress before going for the Stronghold and didn't think it was by any means impossible - though I agree it's not an easy start.

There's a significant degree of luck in most heroes 3 games in relation to, e.g. types of creatures in random stacks, whether they have a thirst for glory, available choice of hero skills, random treasures. While not suitable for tournament play I think that element of chance is one reason for the continuing success of the game and wouldn't want to see everything standardised.
    Well that was annoying. All towns were taken and the final enemy hero was about to be caught - the next turn or possibly the one after. Then the game crashed and without thinking I loaded my normal save and (still without thinking) pressed end turn - thus overwriting the autosave :s. I was on turn 178, so it would have been a decent score, but my save was from many hours previously and I'm not going back to play from that.

Most of the game was fairly well played, but there were several occasions when I lost towns unncecessarily. One of those in particular was a huge mistake when I didn't notice an enemy getting into range of the original red town fairly early on in the game. That should have been an easy one to hold and losing it then rather trashed the strategic position I'd built up - I suspect without that error the game could have been finished at least a month earlier.

The question now is do I go for one more one more go ...
    I'm sure you're doing the right thing, but I've never got in the habit of saving very regularly in any games. Perhaps I'll see if I can do that in my one more go, though I'm not too confident ...
    edited February 2017
    I'm on Month 3, Week 2, and can conclude about the lack of spells on this map. It's frustrating.

I like not only might, but magic as well, and now all towns (at least, 6 towns under my control) offer 1 spell on 1, 2 and 3 levels. And to make it more frustrating, these spells are the same - healing and lightning.

I don't mean it makes me weaker. I mean it diminishes the joy of playing this map, and I fail to see reasoning behind this decision. This is the Sword Coast, not Athkatla, magic is not forbidden there.

Using spells like Curse, Slow, Haste adds to tactics. And now the only thing that is left is pure Attack VS Defence.

I could understand the decision to diminish spells in towns if other spells could be learned by visiting teachers around the map. But currently these teachers teach the same spells...
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on