Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sticking with your style...

The clan had catalogued a long history of accidents in the mine. One tragedy after another had befallen them.

I changed the verb into a better one... You could also use the words: recorded, suffered etc...

Avoiding lengthy discussions as to why...

The sentence that would be the best fit would be...

One tragedy after another had befallen the clan in the mine.

You have two sentences saying the same thing (albeit subtly differently...) when one would suffice.

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisov
  • ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,263
    Thank you very much!
    So the problem wasn't the tense but "had had" is actually bad style, at least it was in this case.
    And I agree it did sound strange, even though it was correct technically.

I really do appreciate this, I like your sentence a lot that combines the two of mine.
    And I changed it accordingly :)

JuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Your writing is amazing considering english is your second language!

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisov
    edited August 2016
    About Easter Eggs:

Easter Eggs are "secret" references to Baldur's Gate, which players of Baldur's Gate do understand but other people probably not.

For example in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 it is possible to put signs on the map.
    And the messages on those signs could be references to Baldur's Gate. Also other references are possible, see some examples below:

The following takes place in Peldvale when you approach a pack of crusaders:

When you read the above please keep this note in mind. That is very important for me.
    In this context that means that I do not intend to say in any way that Viconia is a medusa.
    No. You encounter a pack of medusas and the whole incident is a reference to the encounter with Viconia of course. But I am not saying that Viconia from Baldur's Gate is actually a medusa.
    It is not Viconia that you meet there. It's a pack of medusas.

Further examples of Easter Eggs:
    There is a sign right outside the temple of Beregost that reads "Don't touch our priest! He is super important!"
    There's also a sign outside of the temple in Nashkel reading: "Helm sees all know that and be judged!"

There is also a group of elfs who are very grateful to you for helping them defeating a bunch of gnolls, while clearly the elfs could have easily handled the gnolls themselves...

One more possiblity are rumors in a tavern like the following:

The question now is: Can you think of any Easter Eggs, secret references? What would you like to see ingame? Are there any funny or memorable encounters - or any content really - in Baldur's Gate 1 that you would like to see referenced in my scenario?

lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    A note on my storytelling:

Do you know the ABC TV show "Once Upon a Time"?
    A good analogy of what I am doing with the storytelling in my scenario is what "Once Upon a Time" does to the classical fairy tailes we all know. In that show the stories are twisted, changed, sometimes entirely, sometimes just a bit.

So viewers think they know characters and events and to some degree they do.
    But they will always be surprised at one point or another because a story or character turns out to be different from what they'd expect.

And this is what I'll be doing. You will see many familiar locations, and factions, and you will think you know how things *have to* turn out, because well you know Baldur's Gate.
    But just as "Once Upon a Time" twists the classical fairy tales, I will twist a lot on the Baldur's Gate story and events.

You will see enough, I hope, to feel "at home" so to say. And yet because of the twists you will discover many new things and hopefully be surprised. And maybe it will make you think if and how things could have turned out differently in Baldur's Gate.

Not to mention I already said that this scenario is not Baldur's Gate of course.
    Just as Once Upon a Time does not tell the actual fairy tales as we know them.

If you want the original, then go for the original ;)

lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DanitheangeldevilDanitheangeldevil Member Posts: 49
    Wow, This looks so cool! :open_mouth:
    It must took you long create some areas based on Baldur's Gate areas map.
    I remembered that me and my brother we played HOMAM series I think it was 1 & 3, when we was kids.:)

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

I remembered that me and my brother we played HOMAM series I think it was 1 & 3, when we was kids.:)

Heh, thank you. Yes it has taken me a long time to come this far and the scenario is not finished yet. I've still a lot to work on.

Myself I have spent countless hours playing HOMM 2 & 3 when I was younger.
    I'd say Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the game I have spent most time on.

And I do still play it today from time to time, especially since I found this awesome
    fan expansion: Horn of the Abyss.

DanitheangeldevillolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DanitheangeldevilDanitheangeldevil Member Posts: 49
    Shandyr said:

Heh, thank you. Yes it has taken me a long time to come this far and the scenario is not finished yet. I've still a lot to work on.

Myself I have spent countless hours playing HOMM 2 & 3 when I was younger.
    I'd say Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the game I have spent most time on.

And I do still play it today from time to time, especially since I found this awesome
    fan expansion: Horn of the Abyss.
    I understand.

Yes, HOMAM 3 is the best and I liked played there campaigns, but I never finished only in HOMAM 5 I finish in Hanners o fate whole campaigns.

Never play. Maybe I should go and buy HOMAM 3 via gog and try it sometimes.

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,122
    edited October 2016
    I say: as soon as you finish this map, we should play MP on it among forumites and then post about it.

BTW, I've just learned that there's Project Ironfist for HoMM2.

It adds new monsters, maps and spells to HoMM2 with help of scripting.

http://www.ironfi.st/download/

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    lolienShandyrCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,122
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

It's funny now that you mention it, I think that now Might & Magic 6 looks better than Might & Magic 7 and especially than Might & Magic 8 ;)

I remember long discussions back in the day about graphics in those 3 games and finding out there were people who couldn't agree on which game looked better.

Why would it look better than MM7 or MM8 ? Now you got me intrigued to set up a DoSBox or something and try it out again...

As I understand it, dungeons in MM6 got much more work in terms of textures of walls. They look more interesting than dungeons in MM7 and MM8.

As I understand it, dungeons in MM6 got much more work in terms of textures of walls. They look more interesting than dungeons in MM7 and MM8.

Hmmm...only that? I found MM8's graphical interface and everything prettiest and the least clunkiest. I agree that MM6 had a bit more standard-fantasy vibe, but the graphics were worse and character advancement was done better in MM7. But hey - Might and Magic's appeal was never because of graphics, but the gameplay and character advancement. (I actually liked the hand-drawn sprited characters and enemies in MM7 and 8)

Alright, so the map has reached beta status.

I am offering a closed beta, meaning if you are interested in testing, send me a PM, or just tell me here, and I will send the map to you.

Keep in mind it's a beta, which means a lot of work may still to be done yet.

About balance: The different starting positions are not meant to be balanced, some may be harder than others. However, the balance of the starting positions should not be completely off.

Otherwise, just let me know what you think, what you like and what you dislike.

Most important, don't be shy with criticism and be honest.

The map can only improve if I know how to improve it ;)

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    I'd be interested. (I actually still have HOMM3 installed on android tablet and on a desk computer :D as I sometimes play that game with mates back in Europe)

ShandyrCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Southpaw said:

I'd be interested. (I actually still have HOMM3 installed on android tablet and on a desk computer :D as I sometimes play that game with mates back in Europe)

Okay PM sent.

The most important points for me concerning feedback are:

1.) Do you feel "at home" in terms of Baldur's Gate, that is, do you feel like you are at the Sword Coast?
    Did I capture the feeling and atmosphere of Baldurs Gate in Heroes of Might and Magic 3?

2.) Second point is, the map is supposed to be a good HoMM3 map.
    Meaning even players who don't know Baldur's Gate should be able to enjoy the map.

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    Oh yes, I forgot,

after you copy-paste the map into the respective map file and you start the game
    look for the scenario called "Fight for the Sword Coast"

That's the current name of the map.

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    Oh, here begins a story of Shakti, a warlord from the Underdark.

I will play on 200%

ShandyrCrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    I usually always play on 200% (and the additional restriction that I never use Diplomacy, but the AI may), too. However, on this map, that can really be a challenge.
    You will see... ;)

CrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    The battle for Nashkel, epic epic epic!

It may look like I'm in advantage due to the high mana, but I don't have wisdom...
    So I can only use level 1 and 2 spells...

The gnoll faction (AI) versus the Guardians of Cloakwood (me), who will win?
    Who will be the new ruler over Nashkel?

Victory! But the price was so high. I may have won the battle but I may lose the war.
    This was not even the strongest of the gnolls' heroes...

Oh but look at the sweet loot!
    Among other things, the Elixir of Life!

Post edited by Shandyr on
    Shandyr said:

...look for the scenario called "Fight for the Sword Coast"
    That's the current name of the map.

That threw me off a bit. I was looking for "Sword Coast" or anything with "Baldur's Gate".

Played it for a while. Checked the other towns - good idea with getting Gnoll Fortress, Bandit Camp etc. Interesting design choice and I liked it.

My first impressions from playing only about 2-3 weeks in-game:
    1) at first I had thought that you should get specific heroes - like Sarevok (Craig Hack's char would work) etcetera, but then I read your "prologues" to each of the warring factions and half-abandoned the idea. For die-hard BG fans, it'd make sense to have a custom hero like Sarevok or Durlag ... but for non-BG fans, the map works just fine.

2) pragmatic design considerations - seems to me the resources are a bit scarce at the start of the game. But that's just a first impression. Let me play it a bit more :smile:

Overall - I like it and the throwbacks to BG are pretty good. (just waiting for finding and event saying "you must gather your party to..."

ShandyrJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    The map is not meant for "die-hard BG fans" in the negative interpretation of a "die-hard fan".

The term itself is neutral. But in the negative interpretation a "die-hard fan" can mean someone who is a purist in the sense that he rejects everything that resembles the original but differs from it.

I already said in the thread, if you want to play Baldur's Gate then don't play my scenario, instead you should play Baldur's Gate.

It's a story design choice, I could try to rebuild Baldur's Gate within HoMM3 or I could try to tell different stories that take place at the setting of Baldur's Gate, and I chose the latter.

That's why I will not call the scenario anything like "Baldur's Gate", because that would raise false expectations.

About the resources: That is intended. It may be a bit too hard, that's what my beta testers are for, you can tell me ;)
    But in my scenario the iron crisis does exist, and I want to make you feel it in HoMM 3 terms.
    That means iron ore is going to be scarce and due to the bandits most of the valuable resources are scarce, too. However, you are left with plenty of wood :tongue:

JuliusBorisovSouthpawCrevsDaaklolien
    Oh Gawd, Oh Gawd, Oh gawwwwwwd...

The enemy launched a surprise attack on me. He took my capital, defeated many of my heroes
    AND after that he used his expert diplomacy to have over 50 black dragons join his army....

Damn... I'm screwed :(

edited November 2016
    I actually think this map has a perfect balance for resources. Yes, you don't have too many, but there're chests with gold everywhere. And I like it. The mines are well-protected. What I especially like in this map from the HoMM point of view, is narrow passages and complicated routes. They are going to add a lot of replay value to this map, as often choosing one path, without knowing where each of them leads, results in getting a new town. Or, on the opposite, finding nothing but a strong guardian.

So, far, this is an update on the story of Durlag's Tower (black dragons):

The following settlements have been invaded by the Hordes of Underdark TM:

The Friendly Arm Inn

Beregost

Ulcaster Ruins

The map has an underworld, and this is magnifiscent, as I like huge maps with an underworld.

ShandyrCrevsDaaklolien
    I accidentally left the grail building in a town. So if you conquer it you will find the grail building.
    That is not intended and I am going to fix that.

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    The Hordes of Underdark have reached Candlekeep and Baldur's Gate city.

That Stronghold hero, though....

3 months in-game time, everything is fine. The map is still interesting. And, of course, challenging.

ShandyrCrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    Oh dear Lord...

But I *have to* kill them or the enemy with expert diplomacy could just add them to their party.
    That would hurt a lot more.