Skip to content

Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sticking with your style...

The clan had catalogued a long history of accidents in the mine. One tragedy after another had befallen them.

I changed the verb into a better one... You could also use the words: recorded, suffered etc...

Avoiding lengthy discussions as to why...

The sentence that would be the best fit would be...

One tragedy after another had befallen the clan in the mine.

You have two sentences saying the same thing (albeit subtly differently...) when one would suffice.
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Your writing is amazing considering english is your second language!
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DanitheangeldevilDanitheangeldevil Member Posts: 51
    Wow, This looks so cool! :open_mouth:
    It must took you long create some areas based on Baldur's Gate areas map.
    I remembered that me and my brother we played HOMAM series I think it was 1 & 3, when we was kids.:)
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    DanitheangeldevillolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DanitheangeldevilDanitheangeldevil Member Posts: 51
    Shandyr said:

Wow, This looks so cool! :open_mouth:
    It must took you long create some areas based on Baldur's Gate areas map.
    I remembered that me and my brother we played HOMAM series I think it was 1 & 3, when we was kids.:)

Heh, thank you. Yes it has taken me a long time to come this far and the scenario is not finished yet. I've still a lot to work on.

Myself I have spent countless hours playing HOMM 2 & 3 when I was younger.
    I'd say Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the game I have spent most time on.

And I do still play it today from time to time, especially since I found this awesome
    fan expansion: Horn of the Abyss.
    I understand.

Yes, HOMAM 3 is the best and I liked played there campaigns, but I never finished only in HOMAM 5 I finish in Hanners o fate whole campaigns.

Never play. Maybe I should go and buy HOMAM 3 via gog and try it sometimes.
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited October 2016
    I say: as soon as you finish this map, we should play MP on it among forumites and then post about it.

BTW, I've just learned that there's Project Ironfist for HoMM2.

It adds new monsters, maps and spells to HoMM2 with help of scripting.

http://www.ironfi.st/download/
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    lolien[Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This month the VCMI project has got a new version, 0.99:

http://forum.vcmi.eu/viewtopic.php?t=1191&sid=2106b0eb2f99a0d0e4b11342ba7bf262

They even have daily versions for Windows: http://vcmi.arseniyshestakov.com/windows/
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

It's funny now that you mention it, I think that now Might & Magic 6 looks better than Might & Magic 7 and especially than Might & Magic 8 ;)

I remember long discussions back in the day about graphics in those 3 games and finding out there were people who couldn't agree on which game looked better.

Why would it look better than MM7 or MM8 ? Now you got me intrigued to set up a DoSBox or something and try it out again...
    As I understand it, dungeons in MM6 got much more work in terms of textures of walls. They look more interesting than dungeons in MM7 and MM8.

As I understand it, dungeons in MM6 got much more work in terms of textures of walls. They look more interesting than dungeons in MM7 and MM8.

Hmmm...only that? I found MM8's graphical interface and everything prettiest and the least clunkiest. I agree that MM6 had a bit more standard-fantasy vibe, but the graphics were worse and character advancement was done better in MM7. But hey - Might and Magic's appeal was never because of graphics, but the gameplay and character advancement. (I actually liked the hand-drawn sprited characters and enemies in MM7 and 8)
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    I'd be interested. (I actually still have HOMM3 installed on android tablet and on a desk computer :D as I sometimes play that game with mates back in Europe)
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    Oh, here begins a story of Shakti, a warlord from the Underdark.

I will play on 200%

[Deleted User]CrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    CrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Shandyr said:

...look for the scenario called "Fight for the Sword Coast"
    That's the current name of the map.

That threw me off a bit. I was looking for "Sword Coast" or anything with "Baldur's Gate".

Played it for a while. Checked the other towns - good idea with getting Gnoll Fortress, Bandit Camp etc. Interesting design choice and I liked it.

My first impressions from playing only about 2-3 weeks in-game:
    1) at first I had thought that you should get specific heroes - like Sarevok (Craig Hack's char would work) etcetera, but then I read your "prologues" to each of the warring factions and half-abandoned the idea. For die-hard BG fans, it'd make sense to have a custom hero like Sarevok or Durlag ... but for non-BG fans, the map works just fine.

2) pragmatic design considerations - seems to me the resources are a bit scarce at the start of the game. But that's just a first impression. Let me play it a bit more :smile:

Overall - I like it and the throwbacks to BG are pretty good. (just waiting for finding and event saying "you must gather your party to..."
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    JuliusBorisovSouthpawCrevsDaaklolien
    edited November 2016
    I actually think this map has a perfect balance for resources. Yes, you don't have too many, but there're chests with gold everywhere. And I like it. The mines are well-protected. What I especially like in this map from the HoMM point of view, is narrow passages and complicated routes. They are going to add a lot of replay value to this map, as often choosing one path, without knowing where each of them leads, results in getting a new town. Or, on the opposite, finding nothing but a strong guardian.

So, far, this is an update on the story of Durlag's Tower (black dragons):

The following settlements have been invaded by the Hordes of Underdark TM:

The Friendly Arm Inn

Beregost

Ulcaster Ruins

The map has an underworld, and this is magnifiscent, as I like huge maps with an underworld.

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    The Hordes of Underdark have reached Candlekeep and Baldur's Gate city.

That Stronghold hero, though....

3 months in-game time, everything is fine. The map is still interesting. And, of course, challenging.
    edited November 2016