Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Comments

• ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,263
    Okay I made a screenshot. This is what I see:

Aedanlolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,219
    Weird.
    Attached the image I see.
    It is the map.

By the way, Solis' family = Epic win

1.gif 442K
    Shandyrlolien
    Now it's up to you guys, which area would you like to see next?

lolien
    Lovely.
    Do you know when you think to finish this map? No pressure here - I just would like to know the state of your work.

ShandyrJuliusBorisovlolien
    That makes sense.
    I will be glad to test this map once you are done with it.

ShandyrJuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,399
    edited November 2014
    @Shandyr , it might be cool if you could build a ship in Ulgoth's Beard from a town structure there, and sail it out to Werewolf Island, which is probably rich in resources and treasure, but heavily guarded. I'm not sure what monster unit you'd use for werewolves. The closest I can think of is the wolves the goblins ride. Or maybe the cerebrus units from the Inferno. I'm just throwing the idea out there.

I'll play the map a few times if you want, at least once per faction, and report to you how it goes.

EDIT: I see now what I think is a shipyard structure you already have there. Maybe you've already thought of it. Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

edited November 2014
    @BelgarathMTH‌

and sail it out to Werewolf Island, which is probably rich in resources and treasure, but heavily guarded

The problem is that Ulgoth's Beard is placed at the left upper corner of the map.
    Werewolf Island is supposed to be far far faaaaaaaaaaaar out somewhere in the Trackless Sea if memory serves.

There is sadly no place to include werefolf island.
    The only "trick" I can think of is placing it underground and pretend it's just somewhere far away (and not underground)

I do not know what is the greater immersion breaker:
    1.) No werewolf island at all
    2.) Or werewolf island put underground and you pretend it's not
    (even though the underground will be used for actual underground purposes!)

Same applies to the ice island. I think that one is somewhere in the Sea of Moving Ice.
    Actually Icewind Dale would be nearer to it, heh.

I'm not sure what monster unit you'd use for werewolves.

Fun thing is: Wake of Gods actually does feature werewolves

But I don't want to make a WOG map, that's too much an effort for me. And I'd like people to be able to play the map without requiring WOG

I'll play the map a few times if you want, at least once per faction, and report to you how it goes.

Thank you :D
    I'll ask you when it's ready to play :)

BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisovlolien
    I agree. Its absence does not break the immersion so much IMO.

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I am reading through this topic and I must admit this is absolutely an amazing idea. The amount of detail you put on the map is incredible, I can almost immidiately tell which area you showed. For quite some time I had the idea to recreate Sword Coast in the Battle for Wesnoth, but I have way too little knowledge in scenario creating (dialogues, scripting etc.) and just a "battle arena" would not be as interesting (well there could be a war between Baldur's Gate City and Amn, but still not that impressive for such a massive map). I will gladly play when your map is ready, for now I am enjoying every piece of the map that you show us.

JuliusBorisovShandyrlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 18,865
    When adding this:

Don't forget to add this:

#werebears

I think a legion of sharpshooters can represent Drizzt on this map

ShandyrlolienCrevsDaak
    I thought Kivan was going to be the sharpshooter @bengoshi ;)

Drizzt could be a legion of grand elves.

(This is actually not unreasonable as during some time in the Drizzt novels he was wearing a mask
    that made him appear as a surface elf)

I never kill Drizzt, so I don't know what he drops exactly in Baldur's Gate as loot.

Maybe that loot could be some very valueable artifacts from HoMM3.

JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
    edited December 2014
    Tuth said:

I am reading through this topic and I must admit this is absolutely an amazing idea. The amount of detail you put on the map is incredible, I can almost immidiately tell which area you showed. For quite some time I had the idea to recreate Sword Coast in the Battle for Wesnoth, but I have way too little knowledge in scenario creating (dialogues, scripting etc.) and just a "battle arena" would not be as interesting (well there could be a war between Baldur's Gate City and Amn, but still not that impressive for such a massive map). I will gladly play when your map is ready, for now I am enjoying every piece of the map that you show us.

@Tuth Thank you :)
    Being able to recognize the areas is one of the most important criteria for me.

Wesnoth is a great game, too. Though I don't know how to create maps there.

Also I'm just gonna make a low-roleplaying map. Various faction will battle for control of this part of the Sword Coast, each with their own agenda and motivation.

It will not be replaying Baldur's Gate 1 in terms of HoMM3.
    For that I would need WOG, which I'd rather not do.

So in a way it is a "battle arena", just not with Amn and Baldur's Gate as factions (those will actually be neutral), but with various other factions.

JuliusBorisovlolienTuth
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,399
    This is going to be the most awesome Homm3 map ever made, at least for us Baldur's Gate fans. :)

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594
    Huh?! What is this WOG???

lolien
    edited February 2015
    Tresset said:

Huh?! What is this WOG???

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - In the Wake of Gods (WOG) is a mod for HoMM3 which adds A LOT (like a lot lot lot!) new features to HoMM3

for examples like creatures gain experience too and get skills based on that experience.
    Or you can tear down towns and rebuild them as new town types!

Anyway WOG is sure a lot of fun! (downside is you cannot play the shadows of death campaign anymore afaik)

As I know WoG already and have played it plenty of times I'm more intrigued by a new fanmade Add-on at the moment which is called:
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Horn of the Abyss

TressetJuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
    edited February 2015
    Next area is up to you. What would you like to see next?

lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited February 2015
    Ankheg farm? Did you make any progress on the city of Baldur's Gate?

ShandyrCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Actually, I would like to see what some of the underground areas look like.

ShandyrCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    The city of Baldur's Gate looks still the same.

I actually wanted to create the Underground last xD
    But let's see what I can do...

CrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Well this is my first rough sketch of the Undercity.

For reference:

the Undercity

JuliusBorisovlolienTuth
    edited February 2015
    Anyway I do have a problem with the map design now, namely the Thieves' Maze.

Should I actually create an underground maze that you have to travel through each time you go from Baldur's Gate to Undercity and back?

Personally I do not like the Thieves' maze all too much in BG because you *have to* travel through it.
    But only once.

In this case you would have to travel through it every time.

So how should I connect Undercity to Baldur's Gate? A direct connection may be too short.
    The Undercity should not be reachable so easily.
    But an entire maze is too long. Especially when you have to traverse it every time.

Additionally a real underground maze in HoMM3 takes up far too much space...

So what are your ideas, guys? What do you expect when you enter the Underground in Baldur's Gate City?
    Do you imagine to be directly in Undercity or what do you imagine?

lolienmlneveseCrevsDaak