Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Baldur's Gate meets Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,104
    Yyyaaayyy!
    Are you going to put creatures, resources and treasures on your map now?

ShandyrJuliusBorisov
  • ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,263
    Aedan said:

Yyyaaayyy!
    Are you going to put creatures, resources and treasures on your map now?

Nope, sorry.

1.) First of all I'm gonna refine the areas, so that I'm happy with every single detail.

2.) Then I need to think of all the places where I want to place mines.

3.) Then I will go through the list of all player interaction buildings and see what I can still add.
    I think I should add some of those buildings even if you dont find them in Baldur's Gate because
    a good HoMM3 map just requires them.
    At the same time I must be careful not too add too much content that you don't find in Baldur's Gate so I don't break immersion.

For example: The school of magic building. I used it as Ramazith's Tower.
    But does this mean I shouldn't place it anywhere else on the map, because Ramazith's Tower only exists once in Baldur's Gate? (To be honest I'm not sure in this case).

4.) And once that is all done I will start adding creatures, resources, treasures and artifacts.
    Mind you, most of them will be random to improve replayability.

Finally feel free to give suggestions at any time.
    Also if you have a certain easter egg or any nice idea in mind I could add, just tell me :)

JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    By the way, I did notice that I talk of monks while there are no monks in the HoMM3 Tower Town.
    I am aware of this. However it is in accordance with vanilla Baldur's Gate 1.
    Have you noticed how often they talk about monks at Candlekeep?
    But how often do you see *actual* monks there?

Of course with HoMM3 I would have the opportunity to use the Castle Town and to let there be actual monks in Candlekeep. However I think that the Tower Town fits much better as Candlekeep.

And as I pointed out the absence of actual monks is in accordance with Baldur's Gate 1.

JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    Shandyr said:

1.) First of all I'm gonna refine the areas, so that I'm happy with every single detail.

2.) Then I need to think of all the places where I want to place mines.

3.) Then I will go through the list of all player interaction buildings and see what I can still add.
    I think I should add some of those buildings even if you dont find them in Baldur's Gate because
    a good HoMM3 map just requires them.
    At the same time I must be careful not too add too much content that you don't find in Baldur's Gate so I don't break immersion.

As an example, here you see a map after those three steps.

The Crossroads

And only when an area has undergone those three steps above and looks like this map THEN I can finally
    fill it with resources, treasures, monsters and artifacts. Which I am going to do now with this map :)

lolienTuthJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,851
    Very good indeed.
    Next task?

ShandyrJuliusBorisov
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,717
    The Swordcoast, now bigger, more Heroic and Mightier than ever, in all it's Magic presented to you by Shandyr :smile:. Looking forward to a map filled with encounters!

ShandyrJuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,823
    *slow clap* Missed this until now.

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,061
    Just caught up on new maps updates, they look stunning, Shandyr!

As for all (Ho)M&M fans, take a note:

If you missed the bundle earlier this year, Humble Bundles Weekly Bundle is the Might & Magic series.

What you get depends on how much coin you give.

A single dollar (!) nets you Heroes of Might & Magic II & IV, Might & Magic 6 (hey, it's an amazing game, recommended by @Southpaw and @BelgarathMTH ), Might & Magic Heroes Online starter pack, & BETA access to M&M Heroes VII!!

Paying more than $8.00 also gets you HOMM V, the Hammers Of Fate DLC, & Tribes of The East. M&M Heroes VI, Dark Messiah of M&M,M&M Clash of Heroes I Am The Boss DLC, & The first HOMM.

Boosting your donation to $10 will get you M&M X Legacy, plus the Falcon & The Unicorn DLC, HOMM 3 HD Edition, M&M Heroes VI Shades Of Darkness, and M&M Duel Of CHampions Starter Pack.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?logo&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1fe87f3291-Humble_Weekly_Bundle_Might_and_Magic&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-1fe87f3291-100223093&mc_cid=1fe87f3291&mc_eid=e267d80a83

ShandyrBelgarathMTHNaveenSouthpaw
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Might & Magic 6 is a bit old nowadays. I don't think ppl would stomach the old graphics and all. However Might & Magic 7+8 are much better and still hold their own against modern CRPGS. Then there is a gap where M&M 9 should have been (NO! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS! MM9 NEVER EXISTED!) and recent addition, M&M 10 is surprisingly good oldschool-style party RPG from first-person-view.

Anyway, 4 out of 5 Mindflayers recommend the M&M franchise. (5 out of 5 Mindflayers recommend brains too)

lolienJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,061
    It's funny now that you mention it, I think that now Might & Magic 6 looks better than Might & Magic 7 and especially than Might & Magic 8 ;)

I remember long discussions back in the day about graphics in those 3 games and finding out there were people who couldn't agree on which game looked better.

BelgarathMTH
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,823
    I remember playing Might and Magic when I was a kid. My dad bought 6, and it came with a cloth map. I honestly played more with the map than the game, using it as a world map for when I played with my miniatures. I would use the miniatures as character models, and send them on an adventure, using maps for different games. The Might and Magic 6 map was my favorite.

lolienJuliusBorisovSouthpaw
    How is it going with this project?

Shandyr
    edited March 2016
    Shandyr wrote: »
    1v2dbpvhn4y4.png

The best illustration of BG meeting HoMM (especially taking into account, which that map is).

ShandyrmlneveseCrevsDaak
    The best illustration of BBCode not being user friendly! @bengoshi

u5luygm5nrf3.png

JuliusBorisovmlneveselolienCrevsDaak
    edited July 2016
    A note about canon design and storyline:

Please be aware that this map was never intended to be a replay of Baldurs Gate 1 in form of Heroes of Might and Magic. I take a lot from the game for designing the map and for the story - however in certain points I do deviate a lot from the game for various reasons.

I already explained why the design of the underground maps for example differs so much.

Concerning the story keep in mind that you do not replay the story from the game.
    You can regard this map as taking place in an alternate universe.

Things do not exactly happen the way they do in Baldur's Gate. Faction, people may behave differently.
    Some events turn out to be different. Some people are not even mentioned. I am not sure the protagonist from Baldur's Gate will even be mentioned

The map is not done yet. I am not finished.
    I would just like to let you know that it will be my very own interpreation in terms of design and story.
    And it may deviate a lot in some points.

I post this note here because I am aware of just how much some readers of "A Song of Ice and Fire" loathe its TV adaption. They expect the tv adaption to be the very same experience as the books.

So my message to you is: Do not expect this to be a Baldur's Gate 1, or any kind of Baldur's Gate game for that matter. It's an adaption with a lot of deviations. Of course you are free to like or dislike it.

lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakAedan
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,602
    I have no idea what this game is, but you made all of these maps??? The screenshots are just to cool! :)

ShandyrlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited July 2016

I have no idea what this game is, but you made all of these maps??? The screenshots are just to cool! :)

Thank you :)
    Yes I made the map. The screenshots are all part of the same huge, big map that you can see in the opening post plus some underground maps.

Heroes of Might and Magic is a video game series. It is turn-based strategy. If you like that there is no way to walk past the HoMM series.The games also have a mother series from which they originated: Might and Magic, a role playing video game series.

I never played any of the games of the mother series.
    I only ever played the "Heroes of..." games. But boy, I don't think I have spent nearly as much time on any other games than Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3. I also played 5 a bit and 6 even less.

Post edited by Shandyr on
    RavenslightlolienJuliusBorisov
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,851
    Nice progress @Shandyr, i like the way you implemented the story elements. I don't use to play with custom made maps, but this is definitely something i would like to try, if it will be ready.

ShandyrRavenslightJuliusBorisov
    edited October 2017

Cloakwood Forest Faction Introdution

Post edited by Shandyr on
    RavenslightlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited July 2016
    Okay I would like a bit help here. As you know I am not native English.
    So I am wondering about these sentences:

"The clan had had a long history of accidents in the mine. One tragedy after another had befallen them."

Is past perfect really correct here? Or should it be simple past?

"The clan had a long history of accidents in the mine. One tragedy after another befell them."

I guess from a pure grammatical point of view both versions are correct. So let me rephrase my question:
    What is the difference in the meaning when I use past perfect in those sentences versus simple past? Especially in the context of the whole story.

Also as a general note, if you come across any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors - also errors in punctuation, please let me know.

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    ^Tagging @Anduin because gnomes get +1 to Intelligence

lolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak