Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426

BG1 items are more overpowered than BG2 items. Celestial Fury, Crom Faeyr, the Robe of Vecna, and the Ring of Gaxx are excellent in BG2, but a single Wand of Fire by itself can win almost any fight in BG1.

Same goes for spell, I don't like the Sleep nerf in BG2, its BG1 version is significantly more powerful ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Legend of Mana competes with Planescape Torment for the title of best hidden RPG gem of old.
    Kurona
  • cremnocremno Member Posts: 25
    Holy shite, this threat is triggering me so bad lol xD Guess I will come with one too;

Jaheira is an amazing NPC who is super IMBA.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

ThacoBell said:

SomeSort said:

ThacoBell said:

When using the paired NPCs in BG1: If you get one killed, the other should permantely leave the party to grieve. Unless the surviving NPC is Montaron, Xzar, or Eldoth.

Minsc and Jahiera don't leave in BG2 to grieve, do they?

If you spend 20k+ gold to buy a Robe of the Archmagi, though, or blow all your money on recharging wands, Kagain should totally leave to grieve.
    Nope, but they also aren't paried up anymore and have no where to go in Amn.
    It makes sense for me that they follow Charname to get revenge against Irenicus. Of course Jaheira will soon have other motives, if Charname is "compatible". :heart::wink:

EDIT: Guess I should add an unpopular opinion:

@Montresor_SP Viconia is spelled wrong on that picture
    Montresor_SP
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Icewind Dale's boss enemies are more interesting, and dare I say, better, than those in Baldur's Gate.

If this wasn't a thread based solely on unpopular opinions, I'd be showing myself the door right now.
    Dev6
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Fandraxx you're not alone.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I like Xan and Anomen, sue me.
    StummvonBordwehrEmpyrialWandering_Minstrel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Xan is awesome!

I never keep Anomen with me for a long time, so I can't say how much annoying he really is.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Unpopular opinion right here:

IWD > BG > PST

:(
    Skatan
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Sorcerers should never have been added to BG. They feel slapped on in 2nd edition, and they interact really badly with HLAs (they negate the main disadvantage of being a sorcerer).

Beamdog should stop adding kits that are backported 3rd edition Prestige Classes. Shadowdancer and Dwarven Defender are the worst offenders and do not fit 2nd edition at all.
    tbone1RaduzielMantis37
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Ammar said:

Sorcerers should never have been added to BG. They feel slapped on in 2nd edition, and they interact really badly with HLAs (they negate the main disadvantage of being a sorcerer).

Beamdog should stop adding kits that are backported 3rd edition Prestige Classes. Shadowdancer and Dwarven Defender are the worst offenders and do not fit 2nd edition at all.

OI M8
    I'm not gonna argue whether you're right or not, but more kits/classes is always a good thing.
    EmpyrialsemiticgoddessThacoBell
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Skatan said:

Not sure this is unpopular, but let's test it:

On a wand of fire: agannar's scorcher > fireball. 6D6 with no save? Can hit multiple enemies without risk of hitting your own? Can strike TWICE for one charge? Did I mention no save?

Without risk of hitting your own? I've hit my own guys with aggies plenty of times.
    lolien
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    Probably unpopular: BG and IWD are boring unless you play them on Legacy of Bhaal or Heart of Fury mode (starting with a level 1 party of course)
    hockmah2
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Altair said:

Probably unpopular: BG and IWD are boring unless you play them on Legacy of Bhaal or Heart of Fury mode (starting with a level 1 party of course)

That's true for EE. In the original IWD1 game it is quite fun to play at normal difficulty as it is more than properly balanced. No fireballs before first level of Dragon's Eye. Scarce spells available, you learn to use what you can find. Especially in items.
    The moment when you get the random drop of Girdle of Beatification instead of Fire Dagger cannot be emulated. Or getting the Stoutward shield instead of Applebane.

No dual-wield. No loot key. No overpowered clerics blasting undead all around them. And especially no overpowered kits.
    tbone1Wise_GrimwaldDJKajuru
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2017

I don't like Durlag's Tower. It feels so sluggish because there are so many traps you have to stop and wait to disarm, and some of the puzzles require a lot of backtracking. Combine it with close quarters and a rather dull gray environment, and it makes for a very claustrophobic experience.

I'd go further, and say that all of those TotSC questlines are simultaneously overwrought and strangely underwritten. Dezkiel, the Demon Knight, and Kaishas Gan all just talk and talk and talk about plans that don't make a ton of sense, and we're just left with these long walls of text that don't mean anything. I don't really know what to make of it, because it's just kind of strange, and I could talk for hours about plot holes or whatever, but it feels not worth it.

Also, I find it really pathetic that it's totally possible to abuse invisibility to get the Soultaker Dagger to Hurgan without being intercepted by the cultists, but he just reacts as if you haven't got it yet. Now, there's railroading, and then there's railroading.
    Artonalolien
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the only bits of TotSC i like are werewolf island and the ice island. i never bother doing durlags tower as i'm not a fan of that type of dungeon [ i don't like the castle in iwd's expansion either.] so i skip it. same with watcher's keep.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    The only game where playing HoF is great is IWD2. That's because of the extra enemies showing up in HoF, but also because of the extra items that only show up in HoF.
    AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The old grey stone GUI of BG1 is hideous and boring.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrlolienSkatan
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Disqualified!
    ArtonaThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    IWD is balanced worse than BG2.
    tbone1