Skip to content

Is there a mod that removes questionable changes beamdog added into EE?

as title says
Flashburn

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Well, there's Disable Enhanced Edition NPCs if you want to remove beamdog's joinable NPC's from your game. There's also the one or other UI mod if you want to switch how the GUI elements look. Although I haven't got the slightest idea what you mean by questionable content.
    semiticgoddessmf2112Vitor
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    SoD related content?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Arthas Could you give us a list of the questionable changes you want removed?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited September 2017
    well leui mod goes and brings the ui and menus back to 1.3 https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61571/mod-lefreuts-enhanced-ui-for-bg1ee-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee-and-eet/p1

i don't recommend dong a full install of it tho as it reverts back to the vanilla bg2 font in one of the components and it's hard to read imo.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I haven't found a single trace of questionablecontent.net in BG:EE yet but opinions on that comic aside I agree that it wouldn't mesh well with the Forgotten Realms.

If that's not what you meant i'm stumped.
    SethDavisPaulaMigrateStummvonBordwehrZilber
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    though a mod that replaced sarevok with pintsize would rock
    Chnapymf2112Zilber
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Well, there are some restaurations and unfinished business-like changes. For example, the
    sellout by Aldeth in the Merchants' league to the Flaming Fist in Chapter 7(?)
    was restored in BG:EE.
    semiticgoddesselminstertbone1
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's possible he meant some of the popular features (read: exploits) which got fixed/nerved in later patches. Like the way poison weapon works now for instance. If that's indeed the case then the mod Original Poison Weapon ability could prove to be helpful.
    semiticgoddess[Deleted User]
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's also possible to re-introduce bard song stacking. I don't believe there's a mod for it, but it's as simple as finding the right spell file in Near Infinity and removing the "Remove Effects by Resource" opcode at the top. A lot of the things that no longer stack in EE can stack if you remove that one opcode from them.
    mf2112Ravenslight
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited September 2017

It's possible he meant some of the popular features (read: exploits) which got fixed/nerved in later patches. Like the way poison weapon works now for instance. If that's indeed the case then the mod Original Poison Weapon ability could prove to be helpful.

the way poison worked wasn't an exploit though. it's one of the very very few actual rebalancings they did (they should do more :) )
    Arctodus
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2017
    Only one thing comes on my mind - new cinematics. I just love the old ones but there is some mod for that, no?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Cabal82 said:

Only one thing comes on my mind - new cinematics. I just love the old ones but there is some mod for that, no?

BG:EE Classic Movies
    https://codeload.github.com/Sampsca/BGEE-Classic-Movies/zip/master
    JuliusBorisovtbone1Bleriot
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    bob_veng said:

the way poison worked wasn't an exploit though. it's one of the very very few actual rebalancings they did (they should do more :) )
    They crippled all the summoning spells also. At least I have a memory of summon monster spells summoning more than one monster (but maybe I confuse it with monster wands). Most summon spells are useless now, because an enemy fighter will kill critters faster than you can summon them. It is especially annoying since the spell description states you will get 2-5 monsters or whatever, and then you just get one.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2017
    DrakeICN said:

bob_veng said:

They crippled all the summoning spells also. At least I have a memory of summon monster spells summoning more than one monster (but maybe I confuse it with monster wands). Most summon spells are useless now, because an enemy fighter will kill critters faster than you can summon them. It is especially annoying since the spell description states you will get 2-5 monsters or whatever, and then you just get one.
    thats because BGEE runs off of the BG2 engine, and in BG2 the limit was set to 5, so BGEE brought along BG2's monster summon limit

the only real gripes that i have with the EE's are:

the lag in the inventory ( whether i use my intel graphics or amd there is still that half second or so lag, drives me bananas, never had the problem before 2.x)

and the insane amount of save files the game makes, holy crap, and there is no "official" way of turning that off either, and it's ridiculous, it's like an almost extra 15 save files clogging up my save games, ugh, but thank the BG gods that i could use NI to get rid of all of that silly jargon, and some of them took me a while to figure out as well, but i got 'em all, now if only the inventory didnt lag i would never EVER need updates....
    semiticgoddessArctodus
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    sarevok57 said:

and the insane amount of save files the game makes, holy crap, and there is no "official" way of turning that off either, and it's ridiculous, it's like an almost extra 15 save files clogging up my save games, ugh, but thank the BG gods that i could use NI to get rid of all of that silly jargon, and some of them took me a while to figure out as well, but i got 'em all,

At least the save files are relatively nothing in filesize.
    A couple of times now I have accumulated several gigabytes worth of crash reports before I get around to clearing them out. Since 99% of them occur due to my own intentionally unstable modding, and are thus useless, I would appreciate it if any knows how to disable them.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    DrakeICN said:

bob_veng said:

I suspect you are confusing BG Animate Dead (summons 1) with IWD Animate Dead (summons many). The Monster Summoning sequence of spells still summon multiple critters, up to the cap of 5, introduce by Bioware in BG2.
    ThacoBell
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76

Cabal82 said:

BG:EE Classic Movies
    https://codeload.github.com/Sampsca/BGEE-Classic-Movies/zip/master
    Ooooo thank you!
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I see the arguments for both sides about the changes made by Beamdog.

But have to raise the issue, what gave them the right to?

Of course the lawyers end up deciding who owns intellectual property and yes it can be sold in this day and age.
    But should it be?
    Should money be the deciding factor as to whether something can be changed?

The change I find most jarring against the spirit of BG and the original creativity involved is the stacking of amunition. Without doubt that affects RP aspects. Of course you can ignore them, as people have pointed out.
    But surely the right to make such a change can be questioned and not simply dismissed by saying "well now they own it"?

OlderThan13Years
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Beamdog does not control the IP rights to BG. Beamdog was allowed to change things in the Enhanced Edition, but not the core story.

If Beamdog did not have the right to fix a bug or a typo or add an item to the game, then modders have never had the right to fix bugs or typos or add items to the game.
    ThacoBellmf2112cbarker15StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

The change I find most jarring against the spirit of BG and the original creativity involved is the stacking of amunition.

Beamdog are just trying to do what most players want, though obviously they're never going to be able to please everyone. If you followed old forum posts you would see continual complaints about the need to play the inventory management game and low ammunition stacking was a particular bugbear. BG2 was generally seen as an improvement over BG1 in this respect, but mods extending the limits were common, so it's no particular surprise the EE has increased the BG2 limits further.

I do regularly run up against constraints in inventory without trying to mod them away, so I have some sympathy with you on this one. Personally though I would be more concerned with issues like:
    - introducing strength bonuses on slings and daggers, greatly changing the previous game balance on missile weapons.
    - sharply reducing weight for throwing axes and daggers, which together with the higher ammunition stacking allows those to be used as standard missiles rather than being more of a luxury item.
    However, as suggested above I recognise that it would be impossible for Beamdog to please everyone, so I'm happy to accept the rough with the smooth on the changes they've made.
    StummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]