Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Alesia_BH: Why version 1.3? Some people prefer it, I hear, but I've found the 2.x updates perfectly cromulent.

It's always possible to speed up the slow parts of videos (it would be cool to see 5 minutes of inventory management pass in 5 seconds), though personally I prefer reading text explanations with images.
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759

@Alesia_BH: Why version 1.3? Some people prefer it, I hear, but I've found the 2.x updates perfectly cromulent.

I've been trying to avoid this subject, in the interest of courtesy. But when it comes to the new interface I'm:

(I won't mention this again)

Best,

A.
    semiticgoddess

personally I prefer reading text explanations with images.

I as well. I should invest more time in my write-ups. People enjoy them, I guess, and I should reciprocate by composing them with greater consistency and care. Sometimes I dash them off quickly, like a chore. That should stop.

Best,

A.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Completely off topic (not that I haven't been reading this thread with interest).

I used to have lots of those "A Little Golden Book" (not that one though).
    Opening that spoiler was a massive blast from the past.
    Thanks, going to look for some I recognise.
    tbone1
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited September 2017
    Alesia_BH said:

I've been trying to avoid this subject, in the interest of courtesy. But when it comes to the new interface I'm:

(I won't mention this again)

Best,

A.
    Speaking from experience, I think that staying with 1.3 and try to mod it is a bad idea. For instance, I tried to install the latest version SCS for SR last year on 1.3 and it just wouldn't work. In other words, I'm not sure how supported the mod compatibility of 1.3 really is.

So, I suggest that you could either mod the UI of v2, which I personally always do (there are great mods out there for that), or simply revert back to non EE, which is totally ok in my opinion. While I prefer the EE in terms of compatibility/stability on a Mac, I see no problem in reverting, if that's what you want.
    I do understand that there's at least one mod that re-introduces the 1.3-style UI. And one of my mods installed via BWS (I forget which) changes the UI in a way that I find very comfortable, and may be based on the 1.3 UI, since it's rather different from the UI I get in the unmodded 2.x.

My favorite UI has come from that mod, which I think is already included in the standard lineup for BWS installs.
    JuliusBorisovAlesia_BH
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Good stuff @JuliusBorisov. If that protection works consistently in future that will open up all sorts of opportunities for cheesy tactics :p.
    PokotaJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
    edited September 2017
    chimaera said:

To be fair, the original Tactics Irenicus battle looks very different (at least the version I've played). I'm not fond of the SCS version, the original was more entertaining - if definitely more immersion breaking.

Just to clarify for others, by SCS version, I believe Chimaera means the Tactcs/SCS Hybrid Improved Irenicus component. I have no opinion on that. I've never tried it.

I skip Improved Irenicus at install, and just play the original battle with SCS scripting and Improved Fiends. In a conversation on the old forums, David acknowledged that that's his personal preference as well.

The original Tactics Improved Irenicus was fun. Once. It's not something I'd wish to integrate in my game work, however.

As mentioned, I'm ever grateful to the Tactics team. It was seminal work. I'll note, too, that I understand that Tactics has its backers in the present day. I respect that, and have no interest in a strawberry-is-better-than-chocolate style debate.
    chimaera said:

I think the problem with JonBon lies with the vanilla game design. He is a high level mage on divine steroids, which in itself could be a very interesting battle. But then you have to fight him twice and this leaves the question open: what to do with the second version to make it different from the first. Which is why I'm not fond of repeated encounters in games in general.

I respect that view. I feel the atmosphere, slayer form and the demons did a decent job of providing a new experience.

I always thought the original battle was fine before the ToB cap was introduced. With SCS scripting, I think it would pretty cool with the SoA cap, although I do think slayer Jon should get a movement rate bonus and invisibility detection via script.

Best,

A.
    Wise_Grimwald

I do understand that there's at least one mod that re-introduces the 1.3-style UI.

Got it. I may try that.

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessWise_Grimwald
  • YingusXiaousYingusXiaous Member Posts: 10
    I've contemplated starting a no reload run many times in the past, but the biggest blocker has always been party play -- I very much enjoy having a party, but I have no idea how to protect two or more non-arcane-casters. For example, potion defences and item based immunities don't really seem to scale that well with party size, even getting AC down on two characters is not that easy. Does anyone have any general tips for this type of play?
    edited September 2017
    Arctodus said:

Speaking from experience, I think that staying with 1.3 and try to mod it is a bad idea. For instance, I tried to install the latest version SCS for SR last year on 1.3 and it just wouldn't work. In other words, I'm not sure how supported the mod compatibility of 1.3 really is.

SCS v30 worked great in v1.3 for me throughout SoA. That's unsurprising, since v30 pre-dates EE v2.X.

The only problems I encountered were with BP Ascension and it's, well, BP Ascension, so...

Going forward, I agree that there may be backwards compatibility issues with new mod editions. I appreciate that there has been some non-backwards compatible work with Ascension on v2.X, in particular

I'm building a Classic install with the original Ascension and SCS v 30 now. We'll see how that goes.

Best,

A.
    ArctodusWise_Grimwald

I've contemplated starting a no reload run many times in the past, but the biggest blocker has always been party play -- I very much enjoy having a party, but I have no idea how to protect two or more non-arcane-casters. For example, potion defences and item based immunities don't really seem to scale that well with party size, even getting AC down on two characters is not that easy. Does anyone have any general tips for this type of play?

@Serg_BlackStrider

Btw, suppose I were to go with V2.X. What -exactly- are the current best practices for installing Ascension with SCS? How well does it work?

Best,

A.
    What is Jimfix?
    JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

What is Jimfix?

My money is on a fix specially designed for guys called Jim. :p
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
    edited September 2017

What is Jimfix?

It was developed in the original Adventurer's Lounge, partly as a product of a conversation between Grim Jim and myself concerning a Fixpack v10/SCS v30/Ascension Classic playthrough (insane party run, if you recall that one).

It addresses some major bugs in Ascension with SCS and provides a few minor fixes. It also offers a couple optional notification tweaks, including spell school identification and buff expiry warnings.

I consider it a must have, although I don't use the notification tweaks.

Read me attached.

Best,

A.

Serg_BlackStriderJuliusBorisovAndreaColombosemiticgoddess
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

What is Jimfix?

You are using it in your BWS setup. Among other things it adds buffs expiration notifications in the battle log and show which school is spell casting at the moment.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

What is Jimfix?

You are using it in your BWS setup. Among other things it adds buffs expiration notifications in the battle log and show which school is spell casting at the moment.
    And which I consider a must-have :)
    Pokotasemiticgoddess
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

What is Jimfix?

And which I consider a must-have :)
    Indeed! :)
    JuliusBorisov

I currently have a complete install of SCS + Ascension + JimFix mod on 2.3 (and tested it many times).

Is there a way to do this on a Mac? I can't run the BWP Fixpack Bat file.

Best,

A.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Okay, I'm at the end of my wits and can use some help:

Using BG2EE on Steam/Mac OSX.
    gibberlings3 is down.
    My attempts to install SCS from an old file failed. (I thought it worked but I get "Invalid: xxxxxx" errors, including for the Ease-of-Use AI scripts.)

Can someone prettypleasewithsugarontop give me Mac OSX installer files for:

- latest SCS working for BG2EE v2.3

.... and possibly any must have fix/tweaks files as being currently discussed (with proper install order).

(Inclined not to ask again also for IR+SR+SCS[for SR] files as I did before, since it seems very unlikely that I could get them running on my Mac with G3 down.)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sorry, I'm on Windows, can't say about Mac.

Sorry, I'm on Windows, can't say about Mac.

Could you post a Windows install file in case I get no help. Maybe I can hack the old install script with the new data files or something.
    (I'm thinking that a "Idiot Help Desk" would be very helpful here for people like me. With a "Special Bureau for Mac Users" giving point-by-point install instructions, without assuming that we know what kind of a cabbage a "weidu" is....)

*sigh*
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    I hear you - I've been unable to install a working version of SCS for about a year now, despite trying many times. I just don't know anything about modding or any technical stuff, really.
    Ygramul