Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Drizzt is an overrated jerk with a stupid name.

You were so close.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2017

If your opinion gets a like, it's too popular for this thread.

The way you play the game is wrong.

Whoa there, @chimeric ! ;)

Typo Tilly wins the thread.
  • Greedo shot first. :p

Gorion fired first!
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Greedo shot first. :p

Gorion fired first!
    ...Bhaal did nothing wrong?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Pokota said:

Gorion fired first!
    Dorn was innocent!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Pantalion said:

Pokota said:

Gorion fired first!
    Dorn was innocent!
    Charname doesn't deserve to become Lord of Murder!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Honestly, in this thread, I am more likely to give likes the more I dislike the opinion presented. Its the whole point for the forum.
  • Badges? Badges? We don' need no steenkin' badges!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2017
    @lroumen @Contemplative_Hamster *Gasp* You take that back, you ... you ..... you MANIACS!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Okay, the author's lack of access to the source material excuses Jaheira being portrayed as an arachnophobic sissy. Athans had no way of knowing Jaheira was supposed to be strong and resilient. But the author's tight deadline doesn't excuse the weak writing.
    Wow, a druid afraid of a spider.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2017
    @semiticgod I sort of agree with that and I did admit that areas like this had notably weak writing. Though, I'd be quicker to excuse the writing being poor in parts because of the deadline and because the publishers published his first draft without his consent, effectively robbing him of any chance to refine it. And as someone who writes I can tell you that first drafts are almost always weaker writing-wise. I'd be less likely to forgive his portrayal of Jaheira because even if he didn't have much information on her, he DID know she was a druid. Super in tune with nature and all that.

However, for the most part, the writing wasn't really that weak - the level of writing skill was on par with most Cheesy Generic Pulp Fantasy Novels of its type and I did enjoy reading it.

My unpopular opinion wasn't that the book was good. It was that it wasn't the horrible sin against humanity much of the fandom paints it as, and it doesn't deserve the amount of flak it gets, which is far more than other books of comparable quality. It wasn't so much bad as it was "okay". And, like I said, there were quite a few scenes in it that I actually enjoyed. The Spider Boob Scene was, however, not one of them.
    edited December 2017
    I would rather there not be a spider boob scene at all. It's tacky and a REALLY OBVIOUS excuse for getting a female character at least partially naked, no matter how it's written.

I mean unless by spider boob we're talking about an actual spider with boobs, because then that's just a typical day in the Underdark.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    What surprises me is her being embarrassed at having her top off. Nature warrior woman and all that stuff. B)
    I'd question the purpose of trying to entertain the male gaze in a novel in the first place. Reading novels for their erotic content simply isn't a thing that men usually do. If you really wanted to include something erotic in a book, the target audience should be women.

More importantly, how does fabric tear "with an echoing sound?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2017

I'd question the purpose of trying to entertain the male gaze in a novel in the first place. Reading novels for their erotic content simply isn't a thing that men usually do. If you really wanted to include something erotic in a book, the target audience should be women.

More importantly, how does fabric tear "with an echoing sound?"

you haven't read many fantasy novels have you? I guarantee you if the author is a man he is going to get one of his female characters topless in some erotic manner at least once in his book. The Sword of Truth series in particular was REALLY bad about it. Even in the first book, there was questionable stuff, but like, I couldn't finish the fourth book. The sexual content and violence against women got to be WAY too much. Like it got worse with each book, it was horrible. A real shame too, because I was totally invested in the story by the time it went from "annoying fanservice" to straight up disturbing.

but like even with just like sexual stuff? It is in most fantasy novels. Heck its in a lot of Forgotten Realms fantasy novels, ESPECIALLY if it's one by Ed Greenwood. And believe me, as a lady who's been into D&D and a lot of related fandoms near her whole life, I have met a LOT of guys who get their jollies while reading these kinds of books. Sure, they're also in it for the story, but that doesn't mean they're not also out to get their jollies because they know they got sexy stuff to look forward to at least once in that new fantasy book they picked up.

you haven't read many fantasy novels have you? I guarantee you if the author is a man he is going to get one of his female characters topless in some erotic manner at least once in his book.

Yeah... as a man who's currently re-re-re-writing a fantasy book, I believe you. I think it's just the work of the male writer's mind wandering around. Sooner or later that wandering mind is going to settle on something sexual, and into the book it goes. Without a strong revisions process, that sort of thing never gets weeded out in the re-writes.

My protagonist is a young woman and I've been making a point of keeping things appropriate to her perspective in that sense.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited December 2017

Okay, the author's lack of access to the source material excuses Jaheira being portrayed as an arachnophobic sissy. Athans had no way of knowing Jaheira was supposed to be strong and resilient. But the author's tight deadline doesn't excuse the weak writing.

"Weak" writing?
    You are being too kind.

"A tear burst from her eye"

Is english the author's first language?

Or does Jaheira have a very severe, possibly terminal, case of conjunctivitis?

Yeah, the Sword of Truth novels really aren't worth reading past the first book. The first book is just SO good for the most part that you think "surely it can't get that bad" and then EVERY SINGLE ONE just gets worse, and worse...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,537
    edited December 2017
    It reads well actually. Almost cartoonlike such that I don't have to think about complex descriptions, and it is very forgetful. Only why did he just not throw away the spider but flatten it instead? I really must read these books. I want more now!

/sarcasm?
  • @Wise_Grimwald
    While there were definitely some parts I really disliked, and seriously what were they thinking with the scene where the spider falls into Jaheira's cleavage

Pics* or it din't happen!

(*of the page or pages in question.)

do you really think i would make up something like this?
    it is unfortunately a very real scene
    Ah, two-thirds through the first draft, that magical phase of writing when a young author's thoughts turn, invariably, towards boobies.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Ah, two-thirds through the first draft, that magical phase of writing when a young author's thoughts turn, invariably, towards boobies.

Even Oscar Wilde. Never doubt the power of boobies.