Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    lroumen said:

Hehe I know, I was trying to be hypercorrect ;). Thanks for spoiling the parade :p

Sorry again. It was a good joke nonetheless. I only studied Latin for one year, but have found even that much to have been invaluable.
    AerakarlroumenProontWarChiefZeke
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I studied medicine and it really helped with all the body parts and diseases.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Raduziel said:

fluke13 said:

(that would explain why bus is omnibus in Brazilian Portuguese)

Ônibus, actually. But that' the idea.
    So if you ride a bus in Brazil you might meet a Japanese ogre?
    ThacoBellProontmlneveseAerakar
    edited June 2018
    If Brazil is anything like Nepal you'll also meet goats, chickens and corpses. The corpse was actually on the luggage rack, but that was where I had decided to sit, it being far more comfortable than inside. No, it wasn't a zombie.
    mlneveseStummvonBordwehrProontAerakar
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Wise_Grimwald That' what they wanted you to believe...
    mlnevese said:

@Wise_Grimwald That' what they wanted you to believe...

:D
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Sorry to spoil your joke but:

Actually the plural of omnibus is NOT omnibi. Omnibus is the dative plural and means "for all."

Origin and Etymology of omnibus

French, from Latin, for all, dative plural of omnis

English is a stupid language. We all know that, but by pinching words from other languages it has become a very expressive one which is one of the reasons why it is used so much.

The French are very purist as far as their language is concerned which is one reason for its decline.

Speaking of the French meddling with the word "omnibus," in the 1820's, the first "bus service" (actually just a carriage company) was established in Nantes, and the vehicles got the name omnibus because they stopped in front of a hatter's shop named Omnes Omnibus. And from omnibus, we eventually got "bus."
    ThacoBell
    The story that I have read in a number of dictionaries is that it originated in Paris from:
    Fr < (voiture) omnibus, lit., (carriage) for all < L, dat. pl. of omnis, all

To me that seems logical, but then truth is oftimes stranger than fiction.
    According to this, the same guy who started the business in Nantes moved it to Paris a few years later, where it became more than just a local phenomenon. That might explain some confusion.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    elminster said:

elminster said:

There is a string reference in BG2EE for a spell called Spacewarp. Its supposedly SPPR716 but that file doesn't appear. At least not in the enhanced edition. A reference to it however be found in the Spell.IDS file.

Spacewarp
    (Alteration)

Sphere: Numbers
    Range: 150 ft.
    Duration: 1 turn
    Casting Time: 7
    Area of Effect: 25-ft. radius sphere
    Saving Throw: None

According to one view of the universe, what we perceive as gravity is actually a localized warping of the fabric of space-time. The Spacewarp spell creates a temporary but very intense warping in a limited area.

When the priest casts this spell, selects a specific point to be the center of effect. This point may be anywhere within 150 feet of the caster, including in midair.

When the spell is completed, this center of effect gains a gravity field equal to the force felt at the surface of the earth. In other words, gravity is centered at this point; everything within 50 feet of this center that is not attached to something immovable will fall toward the selected point.

This localized gravity affects only loose objects and creatures capable of movement (i.e., not trees, whose roots are buried in the ground). It does not affect the ground itself—soil, plants, desert sand, lake water, etc. are immune to the effect.

If you write enough on these forums eventually you will find yourself repeating yourself.

I re-found spacewarp and was planning on sharing it. I googled it anyways just to see if it had been brought up here before. Turns out it was...by me...3.5 years ago. :)
    That sounds like the same effect produced by the device Starlord used in the beginning of the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I wonder if that spell was the inspiration?
    Wise_Grimwald

Strength drain from an Archer's Called Shot will also work, though it's much harder to kill Yaga-Shura with it due to his high STR. Wisdom drain from Kachiko's Wakizashi is possible, but the save vs. death and the 2-round duration of the drain make it impractical against practically everything except for Firkraag and Saladrex.

How long does the Archer's Called Shot debuff last, out of curiosity? Although I'm a big Archer enthusiast, I actually didn't use it much, since DPS alone is usually enough to do in most enemies, and I tended to focus on the save debuff more when I did use it.

Wise_Grimwald
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Raduziel said:

So all I need to do is corrupt befriend one of you...

Good luck. I've long since lost track of the number of times I've had to issue formal warnings to my friends...

EDIT: But now that I think about it, I could sure go for some :cookie: right now. :wink:
    I actually had to banish someone I rather liked a few years ago... And :cookie: will not work for me... try praising my kids :wink:
    ThacoBell