Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Probably at the Grand History of the Realms or Faiths and Avatars.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@Abi_Dalzim Otyughs and Ettins are not immune to missile damage. I think that you have to use magical arrows though. I tend to use arrows of fire against Otyughs.

I don't think Ettins or Otyughs require magical weapons to hit.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Thac0Bell , Otyughs do. I remember the one in Chateau Irenicus being a problem because of that. You can take and use Imoen's +1 dagger while she shoots Magic Missiles at it, and I think there's a +1 longsword that Minsc can use non-proficiently and a +1 quarterstaff for Jaheira in there somewhere. Every time I start a new game of BG2, one of the first things I plan for is how I'm going to get past that thing.
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldAbi_Dalzimlolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    8 out of 10 times I take it down with a Chromatic Orb
    BelgarathMTHWise_GrimwaldProontlolien
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited July 2018

@Thac0Bell , Otyughs do. I remember the one in Chateau Irenicus being a problem because of that. You can take and use Imoen's +1 dagger while she shoots Magic Missiles at it, and I think there's a +1 longsword that Minsc can use non-proficiently and a +1 quarterstaff for Jaheira in there somewhere. Every time I start a new game of BG2, one of the first things I plan for is how I'm going to get past that thing.

I believe that particular beasty is a Greater Otyugh (if I remember right). Maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

Edit: Just looked It up and it appears I am wrong. It's just a regular otyugh. I wonder if I'm remembering Weimer's 'improved' version of that dungeon (which was hard as Hell!). I seem to remember it using insect swarm as an ability...
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I often use Dungeon Be Gone these days, so my Otyugh experience is usually the one outside De'Arnise Keep at this point. And I play Archers a fair bit, so I tend to remember those few monsters I can't just turn into pincushions.
    Wise_GrimwaldProontlolien
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Balrog99 said:

Edit: Just looked It up and it appears I am wrong. It's just a regular otyugh. I wonder if I'm remembering Weimer's 'improved' version of that dungeon (which was hard as Hell!).

Hell isn't that hard. You can get past four of the five trials without any combat at all (though if you decide to fight all the beholders, it could probably get pretty nasty).
    Balrog99Wise_GrimwaldProontlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BelgarathMTH @Abi_Dalzim

You guys must be using mods that change them then. I just booted up unmodded BG2 and killed the one in Chateu Irenicus solo with a nonmagical longsword.
    Balrog99Contemplative_HamsterProontlolien
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    @ThacoBell @BelgarathMTH @Abi_Dalzim
    I am fairly certain they have immunity to piercing damage or normal piercing. I don't have the ability to look it up. I think that explains the immunity to most ranged weapons though. I could be wrong, Like I said I am not near my gaming laptop currently.

@semiticgod Usually has good input on resistances and creature knowledge as does @Grond0 Who might also be able to explain Otyugh damage discrepancy.
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018

SethDavis said:

Did you know: that there's no creature named Kozah and a certain dev spent way longer than he should have to find out that the creature in question is actually/probably named Doomsayer.

He's also got 125 resistance to electricity, which is neat.

Yeah, I went on a bit of a journey trying to figure out who we were talking about too.

I"ve done of course the quest, where you find an idol to the forgotten god Kozah, and awaken the longsleeping Doomsayer.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Kozah

I've never picked up on however, what the wiki's saying. Namely that Kozah is a very old name for Talos, a god who's still very present in the Forgotten Realms pantheon to this day.

Does anybody know where this is established?
    Pg. 70 of Anauroch (1991) is the oldest reference to it I'm aware of.
    Post edited by elminster on
    RaduzielProont
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2018
    Raduziel said:

Otyugh has a 100% missile resistance and a 5% slashing, piercing and crushing resistance.

But IDK why, because on PnP it does not have those resistances. You can see it here.

I think it's because they are rather amorphous blobs and missiles wouldn't be expected to do much damage to them. The 2nd edition creatures were not generally fleshed out in relation to resistance to different types of physical damage - there's the same type of issue with jellies, where there's also no mention of missile resistance in the Monster Manual, but they were implemented with 100% missile resistance in BG.
    ChroniclerStummvonBordwehrProontlolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The damage resistance explains the misunderstanding, then. I always just assumed they were immune completely.
    Aerakar
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Otyughs do seem to be vulnerable to fire arrows however. A long time since I've fought them due to making BG1 harder. :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wise_GrimwaldMontresor_SPProontlolien
  • lnstructorlnstructor Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone confirm this?

Wise_GrimwaldAerakarlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Can anyone confirm this?

To the best of my knowledge it is accurate.
    mlneveseThacoBelllnstructorlolien
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In Icewind Dale 2, one of the pre-made parties has a character named Halgren Death's Head, who seeks to make up for the deeds of his evil ancestor Kaervas.

Kaervas Death's Head is one of the six Lost Followers you fight late in the game after you receive the holy avenger.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellAerakarlolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe there was a quest that was going to include the tree but it was ditched and didn't even make it to the dialogue file...
    Dev6Montresor_SPWise_Grimwaldlolien