Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @bengoshi: Where are you from?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    bengoshi said:

Apparently, the plural of dwarf is actually dwarfs, not dwarves. Even the spell check thing that's checking what I'm typing here underlines dwarves and not dwarfs.

Also, from Baldur's Gate:

Protagonist: What makes you think you are going to rule everything? That's a pretty big job for such a... diminutive fellow.
    Tiax: Have ye no ears to hear?! It is as Tiax said! DESTINY! Cyric himself will lift Tiax "on-high," hurtling me to my rightful place when the time comes! You shall all be as ants before my grace, though slightly larger ants than the norm if you help me.
    Protagonist: So your whole belief system centers around some celestial midget-toss? Count me out. I'm not a member of the 'Up With Dwarves League,' you know!
    The silly thing about that is that Tiax isn't a dwarf.

Also, if for some reason you are in need of more money in the middle of Throne of Bhaal, you can rest at the entrance to Sendai's Enclave (the outside area) over and over again. Enemy drow will wake you up and they will drop elven chain +1, katana +2 and some other things like that. These things are quite valuable, and after enough farming you can sell everything to get the largest amount of gold ever.

erm...is Wraithform actually in the game or did I restore it? Sometimes I cannot tell because some of my edits were implemented nearly two years ago now.

Yes. It is dropped by Prat, near the end of Chapter 6. One copy only.
    No, it's dropped by Sakul, the other mage in the Prat fight.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

No, it's dropped by Sakul, the other mage in the Prat fight.

Ah, yes, I think you're right. But anyway, "it's dropped in the fight with Prat" is the point.
    In Planescape Torment, when you go to
    the plane of Carceri
    there is a warehouse in which there is a tiny container hidden somewhere that contains the Ancient Scroll. In order to use it, you need to be a mage, and you need to be at least level 12. What it does is let you choose a wish to make. Depending on which wish you make, you might get one of your stats permanently increased by 2, you might get a Power Word: Kill scroll (which kills someone with at most 120 HP in that game, rather than 60) and some other high-level scrolls, or you might get the Ring of Thex, which gives you a saving throw bonus of two, gives you +20 hit points, and decreases your AC by FOUR, but can only be worn by mages. That's pretty great. However, that's not all. There is a glitch with the Ancient Scroll: if you give it to a mage in the party other than the Nameless One and use it, it will still work but it won't be consumed, so you can use it over and over to get all your stats to 25, get all the high-level scrolls you want, and have each of your mages be equipped with two Rings of Thex.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Planescape: Torment contains a reference to Franz Kafka's "Metamorphosis".

[Spoiler]image[/Spoiler]

(In Kafka's story it is the other way around - a man wakes up to find he has been turned into a giant bug.)

Should we create a separate "Did you know?" thread for PS: T?
    edited December 2015
    Nah, we should just put everything here. Of course, I'm not the final authority on this. If you want to create such a thread, you can, I guess. I just don't like the idea.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    There's a unused variant of the spell "Imprisonment". It has the same name but it uses the Charm Animal icon. Instead of vanishing the target, it automatically causes a chunk death, no questions or saves. You get the XP and loot like normal!

Very fun to use on those -20 AC jerks. I also recommend it against the red-hatted elderly.
    edited January 2016
    Did you that Call Lightning is quite useful in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition? Although most of the fights take place indoors, you can usually lure enemies to an outside area (one exception is Dragon's Eye; no enemies will come out of it). What's important to note is that Call Lightning strikes every round, rather than every turn as Static Charge does. It is perhaps the only pure damage spell that is good in Heart of Fury mode, simply because it does so much damage so quickly.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited January 2016
    elminster said:

In BGEE time is advanced by 25 days when you first travel to Werewolf Island. Its advanced by 22 days when you leave.

So much for a speedrun..

[Edit] @semiticgod *jk* :smirk:
    Post edited by Rodrian on
    @Rodrian: Speedruns are normally measured by real time, minus load times if it's on a PC game, rather than in-game time.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    Huh, so turns out the creature files and their dialogue always existed in the original game, as did the scripting (act13.bcs) that summoned them, but none of the containers in Gullykin were programmed to actually call them if they were broken into. BGEE and Unfinished Business changed that.

Personally I was just poking around in the game files (looking for unused files) and came across this quote by Balquo. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/5953/#Comment_5953 I was probably looking through the original games files on Near Infinity when I wrote that.
    In vanilla BG2, the Frag Grenades just do fire damage. In EE, Archer bonuses apply to Frag Grenades, as do Firetooth's damage bonus. They deal both physical and fire damage as an area effect.