Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The same guy who plays the dean in Animal House also provides the voice of Baron Ployer and Goldander Blackenrock.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Some Underdark stuff since I'm currently playing though it:

The imprisonment dome in the Underdark had a facet which I missed for many years because it was quite hard to notice: Gont of Ritavin, a thief who was part of a recent adventuring party. He is quite sane and tells you a little bit about the drow city.

If you complain to Vithal about your reward for helping him, he'll give you some high level scrolls. If you complain more he'll attack you and you can get some incredible items including: Skull of Death, Wail of the Banshee, Time Stop (!). Shame, I rather like him so I can never do it.

You can actually reveal your surfacer cover to Solaufein when you're told to kill him and he won't reveal it to anyone if he likes you.

If you kill the djinn being tortured near the entrance of the city, you can lie about needing more time and not have to pay. If you do this when you need to escape anyway (or kill everyone in the city) you get some exp without having to pay a dime.

You can threaten Visaj and he'll give you the rope for free instead of making you pay.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited April 2014
    Did you know that there are actually a number of items in BG1 that can be imported into BG2, if they're in your char's inventory when he or she is imported?

Dudleyville explains it better than I can:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

"If you have completed Baldur's Gate & the Tales of the Sword Coast and your main character has certain items in his/her inventory they can carry them over into Baldur's Gate II. You can bring one item from each list (below) which is presented in order (i.e. if you have two items from one list, the item higher up the list is imported). There is a default item for each list so that if you never imported an item from each list you will still get something in BG2. You should consider carefully which is the best of each list if you are playing the whole saga through to Throne of Bhaal. Also note that you should hang onto the Golden Pantaloons (not listed below) as they will also carry over into BG2."

See the link above for lists of the items.

As I understand it, the item(s) won't actually be in your char's inventory at the start of the game, but they will be found somewhere along the way as you explore Irenicus' dungeon.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Also according to Dudleyville:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar3900.htm

"At night talk to the ghost of Ulcaster several times until your journal is updated. He wants a book, History of the Darkness, from the Vampiric Wolves room in the Ulcaster Ruins. Return with the book. Two of these books can also be found in Gullykin and one in W Baldur's Gate. Return with these books for more experience."

-I never knew that there was more than one book that you could bring to the ghost.

Also:

"Talk to Ulcaster while carrying the Ancient Armor from the Firewine Ruins and the Idol of Kozah from the Archaeological Site. He will swap these for the Cursed Vampiric Sword. The Doomsayer from the Archaeological Site must be dead for this to work."

-From what I understand, the vampiric sword does damage to the wielder while healing the target.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

"At night talk to the ghost of Ulcaster several times until your journal is updated. He wants a book, History of the Darkness, from the Vampiric Wolves room in the Ulcaster Ruins. Return with the book. Two of these books can also be found in Gullykin and one in W Baldur's Gate. Return with these books for more experience."

-I never knew that there was more than one book that you could bring to the ghost.

That has been fixed in the EE, copies of that book have been removed of the game.
  • ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
    IF I remember correctly, in the planar sphere, you run across a few wayward lost knights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were Knights of Solamnia, right? The Knights of Solamnia were from the Dragonlance universe, another campaign setting of Dungeons and Dragons of which a great number of novels were written. As PnP goes, Faerun and Krynn (Dragonlance's world), existed on separate planes in the same universe, which explains how they got lost in the planar sphere.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    The Corthala-Mobile made some stops in other Crystal Spheres! :D!

Can they pick up some things from Mystara or Greyhawk, I wonder?

All this talk about voice actors and nobody mentioned the guy who played Evil inTime Bandits and R'as Al-Ghul on the Batman Animated series also voiced Irenicus? Or is that something that everyone actually does know?

It's something that actually everyone knows.
    SoA's plot is based in Time Bandits, so... Who won't catch that one?
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Coran has a kid in Baldur's Gate. The lady that gives you the quest to get Yago's book of curses or whatever is the child's mother. This only becomes apparent if Coran is in your party. If you refuse the quest he will leave. However, after completing it, he doesn't want to have anything to do with his kid.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @CrevsDaak‌, I had actually never made the connection that David Warner played Evil in Time Bandits until @AndrewFoley just brought it up. That may be because I haven't watched that movie since the 1980's when it first came out, and by the time Baldur's Gate was released, I had mostly forgotten it. Now I may watch Time Bandits again just to watch David Warner and pretend Evil is Irenicus.

@SirK8, the only time I ever got that baby story with Coran was when I was doing a romance with him using the NPC Project, so I did not realize that it was in the vanilla game. I had thought it was an NPC Project addition.
    In Time Bandits, Evil sends dreams/mental images to Randall & Co. and in BG2 Irenicus sends those to the PC. Irenicus' opening scene after you escape from the Dungeon is pretty much like the ending from Time Bandits, where he goes shooting spells and killing stuff. Also, he attracts you to Spellhold for something you have (Map gets replaced by Soul) like Evil does with the Time Bandits.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Tresset said:

There are several references in the games which state/imply that Charname's coin has landed on edge- meaning that Charname is one of the few people in existence who is the master of their own fate rather than the gods.

Indeed. @cmorgan‌ (I believe) even worked this into one of the romances of the BG2 romantic encounters mod, where Charname gets a chance to do a cointoss regarding the future between him and a seductive bardess.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    simples said:

anomen is a bit cross-eyed

I'm just gonna be blunt: most of the eyes on the original portraits drive me nuts. They're usually in the wrong place, slightly inconsistent with each other, or slanted beyond creepiness (especially on the elf/half elf females: BGII Jaheira, Aerie.)

I think there is a "fixed" version of Anomen's portrait out there somewhere, though.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Jenzafar said:

Cahir said:

Did you know that Alorgoth (from Rasaad's quest) is apparently a canon character? A Champions of Ruin 3.5ed sourcebook reference Alorgoth, the Bringer of Doom as a leader of monks of the Dark Moon sect. That caught me by surprise.

Well, then! That explains why

the game won't let you kill him!

Hrmph.
    Is that so? That is actually kinda odd considering
    you can kill just about every other cannon character you meet including: Drizzt (x2) and friends, Szass Tam, Demogorgon, and so on. If I knew more about cannon that list would have been longer...
    Tresset said:

Is that so? That is actually kinda odd considering [spoiler] you can kill just about every other cannon character you meet including: Drizzt (x2) and friends, Szass Tam, Demogorgon, and so on. If I knew more about cannon that list would have been longer...
    Szass Tam talks to the PC and turns neutral after you beat him for the first (second if you refuse to go after the first one) time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND0w54ZJ-y0&
    You can kill him, but he initiates dialogue before you can kill him, maybe a Vorpal Hit or such and done, but that might ruin (I am not sure enough) Neera's quest storyline.