Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

Did you guys know that I always longed for a 'Two-Shield Style' proficiency?
    Fighting for your naked life with a shield equipped in either hand and no weapons whatsoever in your inventory would be no doubtly beyond epic!

The only game that I know of which actually does this is "Tales of Maj Eyal" (terrific roguelike, really).

Their "Dwarven Defender" look-alike actually dual wields shields!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    deltago said:

Do you mean there actually MAY be something useful in those ruins hidden away some secret passage that no one has found in many years?!

There's always been "something useful" - those Arrows of Fire +2 are darn good ammo, and are also worth decent money.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Ballad said:

Hate to interrupt such a fine discussion on voice actors and re-rail the thread, but I just recently discovered several fun minor encounters in the Bridge District that I had somehow completely overlooked for the past 13 years.

Did you know that on the northernmost of the Bridge district piers, there is a halfling warrior called Stivan the Hunter who kills seagulls for a living? If you talk to him with Aerie in your party, she will find his ornithocidal tendencies very upsetting.

On the pier south of Stivan, there is a fat human merchant called Qadeel who has two ogre slaves as dockhands. One of the ogres is sick but Quadeel ignores his pleas for a break and proceeds to horsewhip him instead. After that, the ogres attack him. If you side with Qadeel and kill the ogres, you get 6500 EXP and 200 gold. A much more satisfying resolution is just to allow the ogres bludgeon the fat bastard to death and loot the 200 gold from his body.

She doesn't get that upset. Just says something about the gulls being mere scavengers (the halfling thinks they're evil, because... well, you should find out for yourselves). She gets a bit more upset about how the ogres are treated.

Did you Koveras is Sarevok spelt backwards!!! Has that been mentioned yet? I mean, wow... I must go and tell my friend Semaj who lives in Nilbog about it right away.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited June 2014

@Coutelier, do you play Might and Magic VI by any chance? "Nilbog" is the combination to open the vault doors in the goblins dungeon in New Sorpigal.

I haven't, but I've seen it used in other places. It's a reference to the movie 'Troll 2' (it's the name of the town in it), which doesn't have any trolls in it and is regarded as one of the worst movies ever made. But like Ed Wood movies, it's acquired a small cult following.

There's a documentay about it on Netflix I saw a while ago, 'Best Worst Movie'.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Coutelier said:

@Coutelier, do you play Might and Magic VI by any chance? "Nilbog" is the combination to open the vault doors in the goblins dungeon in New Sorpigal.

I haven't, but I've seen it used in other places. It's a reference to the movie 'Troll 2' (it's the name of the town in it), which doesn't have any trolls in it and is regarded as one of the worst movies ever made. But like Ed Wood movies, it's acquired a small cult following.

There's a documentay about it on Netflix I saw a while ago, 'Best Worst Movie'.
    I own the movie Troll 2. It is hilarious.
    I hate canadian netflix :( I want to see that doc but it is unavailable here.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Quartz said:
    The most impressive thing about this scene is that when it cuts back to the guy spouting off the really cheesy lines there is a random fly on his forehead. I mean, I know the lines aren't going to get any better but was it really too much to do a second take without the fly? lol.

Edit: On second thought maybe it was the fly that actually did all the work when it came to the writing and the directing. Maybe this was just a cameo appearance on its part :D
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm not sure, but apparently Sarevok was meant to be white . If not, why is Koveras white?

Did you know that the Umar Witch , mentioned in the Umar Hills Quest, is based on the Blair Witch plot?

Did you know that the female warrior found at the Marching Mountains was supposed to be Shar-Teel?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    DJKajuru said:

I'm not sure, but apparently Sarevok was meant to be white . If not, why is Koveras white?

Original developers probably didn't put too much thought into it (at least until ToB).
    Nevertheless, I've changed Koveras' skin color to dark.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2014
    Also did you know that Ogre Mages are supposed to be Oni demons from Japanese culture?
    That's why they were changed to use Katanas.

"The ogre mage (also known as the Japanese ogre) was introduced to the game in its first supplement, Greyhawk (1975)."

"In 4th Edition, ogre mages are actually members of a separate but similarly appearing race, the oni of Japanese folklore"

At least 4E cleared that up finally.
    Archaos said:

Koveras is white because he supposedly is disguising himself or using illusion magics to hide his identity.
    White skin, perhaps not glowing eyes or tattoos on his forehead and no armor.

Not hard to explain, really.

I prefer to think that he would rather show up armorless , after all, confronting the real Sarevok in Candlekeep and not knowing who he is for sure sounds more dramatic.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Onestep said:

Did you know the voice of Rasaad is Mark Meer, who is most well known for playing the male version of Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect series? And as someone mentioned earlier, Jennifer Hale who voices Mazzy is also the voice of female Shepard. And her BG2 voice work was done over a decade earlier.

Voice actors are apparently a pretty tight community.

Speaking of which did you know that Mark Meer did ALL the Vorcha, ALL the Hanar and Niftu Cal, BIOTIC GOD, along with Commander Shepard?

Honestly, one of the best parts of playing the Mass Effect series was seeing his voice acting skills progress from being mediocre (but meme-tastic) in the first game, to very good in Mass Effect 2 and matching, or possibly even surpassing, Jennifer Hale's in Mass Effect 3.
    Meer also voiced my favorite extra in ME2, the shotgun-obsessed turian in the safari/gun store on the Citadel.
    "Don't come crying to me if you get mauled by a varren and don't have your shotgun."