Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Did you know Durlag has -13 AC, 20 STR and axe grandmastery? In some cases he is effectively stronger than Sarevok himself. Better off waiting for the dopple to switch character.

Did you know that if someone casts Decastave while they have a shield equipped in the original Icewind Dale, the game crashes? It's because the Decastaff is a two-handed weapon and you're not supposed to wield two-handed weapons along with a shield. All the more reason why it's great that Beamdog made it so that you can equip a two-handed weapon while you have a shield in the slot.

It looks incredible with the spear. A shame it goes nuts when you start attacking. Though I suppose that could be fixed on a per-item basis
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Did you know Durlag has -13 AC, 20 STR and axe grandmastery? In some cases he is effectively stronger than Sarevok himself. Better off waiting for the dopple to switch character.

But... I want the full plate he drops...
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Did you know that if someone casts Decastave while they have a shield equipped in the original Icewind Dale, the game crashes? It's because the Decastaff is a two-handed weapon and you're not supposed to wield two-handed weapons along with a shield. All the more reason why it's great that Beamdog made it so that you can equip a two-handed weapon while you have a shield in the slot.

It looks incredible with the spear. A shame it goes nuts when you start attacking. Though I suppose that could be fixed on a per-item basis
    Do you know his level and other stats?
    Did you know if you equip the Hammer of the Dawn +1, the non-detection forces a save on your character and if it works, the effect won't apply?
    Grum said:

Do you know his level and other stats?

Only checked with CTRL+Q, but I imagine it could be simple to take a look on NI or DLT or EEKeeper. He's set up as "no class" like many other characters in the game so it doesn't show ingame.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Did you know if you equip the Hammer of the Dawn +1, the non-detection forces a save on your character and if it works, the effect won't apply?

First of all, this is a bug that should be reported. Second, the save is actually for the portrait icon and not the non-detection effect itself. If you succeed at your save you will still be protected by non-detection, but the portrait icon will not be there...
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I suspected as much, at least with the crazy armor class. Still, that's what Wand of Paralysis is for.
    That reminds me, the verbeeg in IWD has an halberd and large shield equipped at once. I assume the only reason it didn't constantly crash in vanilla was because of its static animation that doesn't display equipment change.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

That reminds me, the verbeeg in IWD has an halberd and large shield equipped at once. I assume the only reason it didn't constantly crash in vanilla was because of its static animation that doesn't display equipment change.

Hax, I'm calling hax on that. Cheating bastards that hit too hard in melee and use the shield that gives them like +4 AC against arrows.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Hexxat will turn to mist after being reduced to 1 HP, but she will not die until her mist form floats over to Charname. If you repeatedly order her to float away from Charname, she can stay in mist form indefinitely. If you Maze Charname, she will not reach Charname until Charname escapes from the maze effect.

While in mist form, damage, instant death effects, and level drain cannot kill her. Only stat drain can kill her. This means she's an excellent tank if you keep her in mist form.

Beamdog may change this; some game files suggest that enemies are supposed to ignore her while she's in mist form.

You can also encumber Hexxat so that she cannot reach your PC. I usually keep a BoH with the 1000lbs figurine from the first of Hexxat's dungeons to do this, or just a good amount of dead bodies. :)
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    CrevsDaak said:

Hexxat will turn to mist after being reduced to 1 HP, but she will not die until her mist form floats over to Charname. If you repeatedly order her to float away from Charname, she can stay in mist form indefinitely. If you Maze Charname, she will not reach Charname until Charname escapes from the maze effect.

While in mist form, damage, instant death effects, and level drain cannot kill her. Only stat drain can kill her. This means she's an excellent tank if you keep her in mist form.

Beamdog may change this; some game files suggest that enemies are supposed to ignore her while she's in mist form.

You can also encumber Hexxat so that she cannot reach your PC. I usually keep a BoH with the 1000lbs figurine from the first of Hexxat's dungeons to do this, or just a good amount of dead bodies. :)
    does this mean that i can heal hexxat before she dies and return her to human form?
    Haste reduces the casting time of scroll reading. unless my game is bugged to heck
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @SirBatince: That would be a bug, unless you're using vanilla, pre-EE Icewind Dale, which lets you use two items or cast two spells in a single round when hasted. It also doubles your attacks and makes bard songs activate twice per round, stacking the effects.

Outside of vanilla IWD, haste will only speed up your character's apparent movements, not the timing of their actions. So a hasted spellcaster using a scroll will move their arms faster when casting, but will still take the same amount of time to finish casting it.

In EE, effects that improve casting time, like the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power, also speed up scroll casting. Before EE, scrolls always had a set casting time.
    @semiticgod Hm yeah, I took these factors in account.

F/M in BG1, took a oil of speed, waited for aura cooldown, then read a Strength scroll. Definitely doesn't take "9" to cast. Perhaps anyone else could confirm?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @SirBatince: Confirmed. Haste cuts scroll casting time in half in both BG1:EE and BG2:EE. It must be an EE innovation. Might be fairly recent, too, since I've not noticed this before.

The casting time gets cut in half before casting speed effects apply. Thus, a hasted character with the Robe of Vecna will cast the Death Spell via scroll with a speed factor of 1: the spell normally casts at 6, the robe reduces it to 2, and the haste spell cuts it in half, down to 1.

But it only works for scrolls, not normal spells. So it will not strengthen Improved Alacrity at all.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,458

. . . exit your furriness via the special ability section. :smile:

But why would you want to do that.

@SirBatince: Confirmed. Haste cuts scroll casting time in half in both BG1:EE and BG2:EE. It must be an EE innovation. Might be fairly recent, too, since I've not noticed this before.

The casting time gets cut in half before casting speed effects apply. Thus, a hasted character with the Robe of Vecna will cast the Death Spell via scroll with a speed factor of 1: the spell normally casts at 6, the robe reduces it to 2, and the haste spell cuts it in half, down to 1.

But it only works for scrolls, not normal spells. So it will not strengthen Improved Alacrity at all.

Aha, excellent

for the record i'm using 1.3 so it does not appear to be relatively new
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314

@semiticgod having done a very quick test myself I agree that using scrolls seems to take the same amount of time to cast as the base spell (unlike vanilla), but with a very short additional pause at the start of casting. However, the haste effect halves the normal spell casting time (so that long casting-time spells cast significantly quicker if done by scroll).

For the interaction with Vecna it appeared to me that the haste effect was applied after the adjustment for Vecna (as in your example, but not your text). So for strength (which takes 9 to cast in EE), haste alone would reduce that to 4.5 - meaning it would cast almost immediately if the Vecna adjustment were applied later. In fact I think Vecna is reducing 9 to 5 and then the haste effect cutting that down to 2.5.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited November 2016
    This is all very interesting. Is there a finite number of lv1 spells or some merchant has all the magic missile scrolls you can buy?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    sazzie said:

CrevsDaak said:

does this mean that i can heal hexxat before she dies and return her to human form?
    I'm not sure since I don't play BG2:EE since along time ago and I don't remember that much. Probably not but it's worth testing.
    MacHurto said:

This is all very interesting. Is there a finite number of lv1 spells or some merchant has all the magic missile scrolls you can buy?

I doubt it's very useful to use on MM particularly, but to answer your question, AFAIK all scrolls are finite, at least in BG:EE.
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    @CrevsDaak for sure. especially with the tips given to prevent her getting to my charname. my charname is a sorcerer so ill be able to test this and update the forum :)