Skip to content

What's the story behind your screen name?

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
We had one of these threads a whole back but it was a long time ago and I couldn't find it, and I just saw an activity post and figured "why not?"
So yea, pretty self explanatory.

My name, Meagloth, is a misspelling of a Sindarin(common elvish in middle-earth) word for rose, maegloth. "Maeg" means sharp or piercing(though generally in the context of sound or metaphor, not physically sharp) and the "loth" suffix means tree of flower.
So I take that to be rose. Whatever.
I put it together for a bg CHARNAME from the appendix of the Silmarilion, and I took a liking to it(obviously)
I didn't realize I had spelt it wrong until I had like 3 internet accounts called meagloth.

But honestly I think it's better that way. It makes the story more interesting, more personal. And besides, there are loads of maegloths out there, and there is only one meagloth. See?

Or maybe there is just one Maegloth. It's hard to tell from here. Maybe I should send her a message on her deiviantArt account congratulating her on her superior spelling skills:)
Or maybe not. I might look into it though.
@Elrandir‌ @Ravenslight‌ (here's hoping one of you didn't already make one of these) and @CrevsDaak‌, because I still don't know how to pronounce your name. Do tell.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @bengoshi‌ maybe after the Icewind Dale agitation goes down a little. Dee must be quite busy right now.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited September 2014
    bengoshi said:

scotgaymer instead of fitscotgamer and some others.

... I had been wondering what happened to him.
  • DivineEternal1DivineEternal1 Member Posts: 18
    Anyone here ever play star control 3? A poor sequel to a great game.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Archaos said:

But also sounding almost identical to "Arhaeos" (Ar-HAE-os) which means Ancient, in Greek.

Funny, being a fellow Greek speaker this is what I always assumed. I thought you just added the "c" in order for non-Greek speakers to pronounce it, since the Chi is the hardest for English speakers to pronounce (along with the Delta sound).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

A poor sequel to a great game.

Can't say I've ever played Star Control 3... but that sentence there pretty much describes Master of Orion 3. If being generous.