Skip to content

What's the story behind your screen name?

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Archaos‌:
    I don't know what you are complaining about, hearing English speakers (especially from the US) trying to pronounce words from different languages gives me joy beyond comprehension :D
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Buttercheese

Not complaining at all. Just amused a bit. ;)
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453

I was born in Kiel, Germany.

From small font , it also resembles to NaturalBornKiefer , which also by chance , makes sense.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @Archaos‌ @booinyoureyes‌ you guys should definitely make that thread! I had no idea I was doing it wrong!
    @meagloth‌
    Well, not really wrong since that's how the words are read with English characters and pronounciation, it's just that the original words are pronounced totally different.

It's like the Japanese word "harakiri" is pronounced "hah-rah-KEE-ree" instead of "harry-kyree" as I've heard in an american show.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Archaos said:

@meagloth‌
    Well, not really wrong since that's how the words are read with English characters and pronounciation, it's just that the original words are pronounced totally different.

It's like the Japanese word "harakiri" is pronounced "hah-rah-KEE-ree" instead of "harry-kyree" as I've heard in an american show.

I know, but i'm still very interested.
    The thread is here if anyone's interested:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34329/greek-lessons#latest
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I don't know what you are complaining about, hearing English speakers (especially from the US) trying to pronounce words from different languages gives me joy beyond comprehension :D

Oh I hate how they butcher other languages' words. Especially names. Not sure how to pronounce someone's name? Yeah just rename them. Doesn't matter if they're a somewhat big historical figure either. There is some justice in the world though seeing as noone bothers writing English properly online so I guess it evens out.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Lindeblom said:

Oooops, guess I am so totally out of date so I used my real name....that must be kind of lame, right.....

Why? If you have such a nice name... ;)

@booinyoureyes, that's hilarious!

• LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257

Not if you really like your name.

I do indeed like my name !!!

Why? If you have such a nice name... ;)

That was kind of sweet...thanks =)

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@Archaos‌:

We have enough problems speaking *English* from time to time.

I always wanted to visit Lie-chest-er
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Hmmm to tell or not to tell that is the question ???? ;)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Archaos said:

@Drugar‌ Drugar also sounds like a mis-pronounciation of Duergar.

You say that within 6ft of me. I dare you.

Bloody duergar scum....
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

My screen name is from this book. I always liked the character. I use the name in a lot of places. Belgarath is the second character from the left.

Pictured, from left:
    Polgara the Sorceress, daughter of Belgarath and the wolf Poledra
    Belgarath the Sorcerer
    CeNedra, Belgarion's queen
    Belgarion, the chosen of Prophecy and ward of Belgarath and Polgara

Oh yeah, "MTH" are my initials.

Wooooo love those books they are cool once, so pity he never wrote a book of Poledra point of view could have being cool but alas.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Belgarion a.k.a. "Why me boy" :-)

I Love those books as well.