Skip to content

Did you *actually* know?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Beamdog added new characters to serve a social agenda. Dorn and Mizhena were added in as a nod to the LGBT community, Hexxat was a nod to Black Lives Matter, Rasaad yn Bashir was a nod to Muslims, and Wilson was a nod to PETA and furries.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited January 2017

Beamdog added new characters to serve a social agenda. Dorn and Mizhena were added in as a nod to the LGBT community, Hexxat was a nod to Black Lives Matter, Rasaad yn Bashir was a nod to Muslims, and Wilson was a nod to PETA and furries.

Honestly, yeah I agree they did and that in itself is a bad thing. But there's a difference in how they handled it across the spectrum. Dorn never feels that way despite clearly being so in hindsight as there is loads of personal development, irrelevant to his sexual identity, before it's ever mentioned and it never really breaks character. Hexxat feels like tokenism immediately. The LGBT community is massively over represented in their characters despite not being an equally massive part of their market. Not smart, and lost potential if you ask me. How many people pursuing non lesbian CHARNAME's will never take Hexxat? Probably a lot
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    So hard not to beat that dead horse when you put it in front of me though ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Hexxat was a nod to Black Lives Matter

Is that why she's immortal? (we both understand what I mean by "immortal", this is from powergamer to powergamer)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    CrevsDaak said:

Is that why she's immortal?

Well, every time the civic guards cut down one Hexxat, another pops up within hours to take her place, and all Hexxats look the same to the civic guards, so they think they've only cut down one obviously-miscreant Hexxat (albeit having to do it multiple times, which they suspect is because they haven't been issued with sharp enough blades), and they can't understand why Hexxat keeps protesting that multitudes of Hexxat-kind are being massacred.

Hexxat was recently captured after waving a "Hands Up, Don't Slash!" placard at enraged civic guards, who were shoving her along a public transport vehicle while shouting "Get to the back of the cart, you Hexxat!" Appearing before Magistrate Ianulin with the captive Hexxat (in fashionably pink prisonwear, and in cold-iron werewolf chains hastily-but-ineffectually adapted by cloves of garlic jammed into the loops), Chief Inspector Brega declared "She must be guilty of something, Bylanna - she's a Hexxat!" Noting that Hexxat really is a notorious thief and killer, Magistrate Ianulin invoked the well-known "third strike" rule and sentenced her to life ... unintentionally resulting in her immediate release on the technicality that she was already dead.

Meanwhile, Amnian equality campaigners are demanding the issuance of a new "Dictating Rights Edict" to give fair representation to Hexxat by imposing a racial quota for membership of the Council of Six. If this is issued, then one of the existing members will be required to retire, and well-known "equal edibility" gangster Bodhi (famous for her law'n'order stand against the Shadow Thieves) has hinted that she will demand immediate appointment to the vacancy.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Gallowglass There are not enough likes for how much I enjoyed that post.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited January 2017
    Did you know that the weird human-sized constructs you face in Baldur's Gate 1 are secretly members of Sigil factions?

The Helmed Horrors and Battle Horrors are Mercykillers. They have a script called REDDEATH.

And then there are the Doom Guards.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @redline Just got an email from them. Nothing mandatory either.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Did you actually know that one of the dialog options with Portalbendarwinden required a playtesting session that resulted in Portalbendarwinden's hospitalization and Elminster's refusal to participate any further as a consultant in the game's development?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Did you actually know that one of the dialog options with Portalbendarwinden required a playtesting session that resulted in Portalbendarwinden's hospitalization and Elminster's refusal to participate any further as a consultant in the game's development?

<davidwarnervoice>

The pain will only be passing, you should survive the process.

</davidwarnervoice>
    :lol:
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited January 2017
    Did you know that the ability to let “space” pause time, even under the spell effect of Time Stop, comes from a giant “space” hamster whose miniature image is only visible in Minsc's backpack?
    Post edited by islandking on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    My favorite "did you know" is Larry, Darryl, and Darryl in BG1. Even at the time of the first release, this reference probably went over the heads of younger players. So these days, it's even more obscure.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    tbone1 said:

My favorite "did you know" is Larry, Darryl, and Darryl in BG1. Even at the time of the first release, this reference probably went over the heads of younger players. So these days, it's even more obscure.

Not only "younger players" but also anyone outside the American market, since the Bob Newhart Show never got much international airtime (it's pretty much unknown here in Europe, for example).

However, I think you meant to post this in "Did you know", not in "Did you *actually* know".
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    elminster said:

BillyYank said:

elminster said:

Sarevok can be defeated in one hit if you attack him with Noober.

How do you wield Noober? If you import him into BG2, can you dual wield Noober and Neeber?
    Noober is a joinable party member. You just have to talk to him (until he leaves) while wearing the Ring of Folly. Afterwards you can find him in the Belching Dragon Tavern. He won't appear in the tavern though if you weren't wearing the Ring of Folly while speaking to him. In the tavern you can ask him to join your party.
    I gotta try this