Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Tresset said:

The Great Gazib at Nashkel's Carnival carries a scroll of Agannazar's Scorcher, which you can pickpocket from him if you are skilled enough. It is one of the only ways (other than random drops) to get a scroll for the spell, or any good damage dealing level 2 spell, early on in the game. An easy way to get it is to kill Vitiare the pickpocket in the gambling tent just north of Gazib to get a Potion of Master Thievery.

If you choose to kill Silkie, you can actually get 4 potions of defense from the merchants she tries to get you to murder. Each of them carries one potion which can be pickpocketed form them, and then you can talk to any of them to receive a fourth potion as a reward!

You can also just kill him if you're so inclined. He's not a remarkably powerful wizard.
    I've always been so inclined. Never knew Tranzig could be pickpocketed. Interesting as a solo thief perhaps, but even then I think I'd just backstab him...
    For the most part if they're not hostile and not actively wielding the item it can be pickpocketed.

Pickpocketing is surprisingly useful for a good character, because it can often be used to resolve quests without killing anybody. There are a lot of quests where you're asked to retrieve such and such item from some shmo who's all like "You can pry this item from my cold dead hands" but a skilled pilferer can just sidestep the entire conflict without issue.

That's only if they're not already hostile though. Like when Brielbara sends you to retrieve Yago's spellbook to save her child. Yago's just sitting there minding his own business until you talk to him. You can just pickpocket the spellbook. But when Shandalar sends you to retrieve his cloak from the Ice Island, the guy who has it just attacks you immediately, so you have to fight him.

Edit: By trade, if your character isn't averse to killing there's often little point to the skill, since anything you can pickpocket will be on their corpse when they're dead. There's only a few places where you can steal stuff that can't be looted, or pickpocket from targets that are more useful to you alive.
    lolienAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you guys want, I can create an "If BG were a PnP game..." thread and move these comments over to it.
    dunbarGotural
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Did you know that the Fang of the Gloomfrost dagger in Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, which lets you cast Antimagic Shell once per day, is essentially a reusable Protection from Magic scroll?

Hey, weird question, but are there like a bunch of cool items in Icewind Dale? I took a brief glance at Mikes RPG Center once and they didn't look as colourful and interesting as Baldur's Gate. Just a bunch of flat damage boosts and stuff.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @semiticgod, please do. :)

Did you know that
    The Five from Ascension final battle isn't immune to Imprisonment (at least on core rules)?
    Unless something went terribly wrong with my install, of course, and they were supposed to be.
    ThacoBell
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Hey, weird question, but are there like a bunch of cool items in Icewind Dale? I took a brief glance at Mikes RPG Center once and they didn't look as colourful and interesting as Baldur's Gate. Just a bunch of flat damage boosts and stuff.

I'll admit I don't remember relying too much on the magic items in IWD. I use the ones that are upgrades to my current equipment, but that's about it. Some of the ones that stand out do so for being kind of odd or dangerous, though. One Heart of Winter runthrough, I had to reload over and over again because somehow my party was unintentionally doing damage to both sides in the fight at the barbarian camp, and everyone then turned hostile. It took me a while to realize that my shiny new Gloomfrost two-handed sword had an uncontrollable AOE damage effect, and I refused to use it again, even during the last dungeon when its side effect wouldn't have mattered.
    Wise_GrimwaldChronicler
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Chronicler There are more interesting things on Heart of Fury difficulty, but everything is freaaking randomized in IWD. It really sucks.
    Chronicler
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited November 2018
    Tresset said:

The Great Gazib at Nashkel's Carnival carries a scroll of Agannazar's Scorcher, which you can pickpocket from him if you are skilled enough. It is one of the only ways (other than random drops) to get a scroll for the spell, or any good damage dealing level 2 spell, early on in the game. An easy way to get it is to kill Vitiare the pickpocket in the gambling tent just north of Gazib to get a Potion of Master Thievery.

If you choose to kill Silkie, you can actually get 4 potions of defense from the merchants she tries to get you to murder. Each of them carries one potion which can be pickpocketed form them, and then you can talk to any of them to receive a fourth potion as a reward!

With EE you only get one potion of defence. :( (At least in my set-up) If you charm the Great Gazib and he is killed by the ogre or kobolds, you can get his posessions which include a robe. :) I use Algernon's cloak as the charm lasts longer.
    ThacoBell said:

@Chronicler There are more interesting things on Heart of Fury difficulty, but everything is freaaking randomized in IWD. It really sucks.

Items being randomised is actually quite good. It means that you don't know what you'll get. :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

Tresset said:

With EE you only get one potion of defence. :( (At least in my set-up)
    Not sure what your setup is, but I get 4 potions all the time in EE. You just have to pickpocket them before talking to them for the 4th potion. Since I always do the Silkie quest right away, I usually can't pickpocket the merchants until I get better at pickpocketing so I just leave them standing there and come back for my reward after I am able to get all 4 potions.
    lolienWise_Grimwald
    @Tresset Probably SCS changed it, but I do have an EXTENSIVE mod list. (So long that I can't post the weidu log as text here. I have to link to a file)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Did you know that a lot of the anti-creature type weapons in the IE games are almost useless?

Problems:

* Many of them aren't that strong even against the creature type they're supposed to be strong against. In Baldur's Gate 2, why would you use a club that's +3 against undead when you could use a club that's +3 against EVERYTHING and deals additional acid damage? In Icewind Dale, you get Alamion, a longsword that's +5 against salamanders, not long before you get a longsword that's +5 against everything and has a bunch of additional abilities.

* For some of these weapons, by the time you've obtained them, there are barely any enemies of that creature type left in the game, and the ones that are left aren't that challenging. In Icewind Dale, you can only get the Pig's Eye anti-orc shortsword after you've already beaten the hardest battles with orcs in the game (in the prologue cave). The only remaining orcs in the game are Neo-Orogs and some weak orc archers in Dorn's Deep (the shadowed orcs count as spectral undead, not orcs). You get Alamion after you've most likely already beaten most of the salamanders in the game.

* Some of the weapons are anti- a creature type that you just don't fight much of in the game at all. Anti-good weapons are common examples. In Icewind Dale, you can get Guktok's Chopper, an anti-dwarf axe, even though there are no hostile dwarves in the entire game.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarMirandel
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I bet many people didnt know that:

Did you know that ray cast from the ring of energy penetrates globe of invulnerability ? Thats specially useful if youre using smarter mages from scs in BG1.
    AerakarMirandelZaghoul
    @Wise_Grimwald I vigorously disagree. Random items are one of the WORST game dev mistakes one could make. I HATE it with the firey passion of 100 suns.
    ThacoBell said:

Random items are one of the WORST game dev mistakes one could make. I HATE it with the firey passion of 100 suns.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed this:

In Baldur's Gate, you have the Seven Suns.

In Pillars of Eternity, you have the Five Suns.
    ThacoBellArtonaBelgarathMTHZaghoul
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2018
    @OlvynChuru , Your point about "vs. creature type" weapons is usually true, but those could become "famous last words" if you say that about the "Bastard Sword +3 vs. Shapeshifters", sell it, and then go to Werewolf Island without it. :)

The Mace of Disruption and Azureedge are also pretty darn handy to have while attacking vampire covens and lich tombs.

Sometimes these items are like the "Chekhov's Guns" of IE games. They're placed where they are because you really are about to need them. I usually hang on to them for that reason.
    AerakarThacoBellWise_GrimwaldZaghoul
    @BelgarathMTH Well, the BG games are actually well designed. You'll notice that most of the useless options are in IWD.
    TressetRaduziel
    @Tresset There are little easter eggs and in jokes all over PoE. That game is full of just so much love for the old IE games.
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldMirandel
    For other exceptions to the assertion about vs creature weapons, I'd single out Daystar and the EE-revamped Burning Earth longswords. The latter makes the perfect trollkiller now that it does fire damage, the former can net surprise kills against beefy undead like skeleton warriors and greater mummies, and both do energy damage that can nail spellcasters through stoneskin. They also both strike as +4 weapons against Kangaxx, so are probably the best early choices you'll find if you want to face him in Chapter 2.
    AerakarThacoBellWise_GrimwaldZaghoul
    I always use Daystar immediately against the lich that is supposedly protecting it. After using Daystar it falls EXCEEDINGLY quickly. :)
    ThacoBellZaghoul
    ThacoBell said:

Well, the BG games are actually well designed. You'll notice that most of the useless options are in IWD.

One of the best anti-creature type weapons (one that is overpowered, if anything) is Winged Blight from Icewind Dale 2. It's a +1 greatsword that deals +2d6 magic damage versus humans.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
    @OlvynChuru Well, IWD2 IS better than IWD1 ;)
    semiticgoddessDaevelon

When you leave Mekrath's area by taking the stairs down, you end up back in the sewers. This should be known.

But did you know you can also take the stairs up from Mekrath's area? You will find yourself on a balcony in the Bridge district. The only way off the balcony is the stairs back into Mekrath's area.

I literally just noticed that a couple weeks ago, when I did my solo LOB run and accidentally went up those stairs when I meant to go down and leave.
    Montresor_SPAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Before taking action on any issue, the moderating team discusses the matter in a private sub-forum. When you "Flag" a post, a new thread is created in that sub-forum, and that's where most of the work is done on any given issue. Only moderators can access those threads, and everything inside is kept confidential for the sake of users' privacy. Forum administrators, however, such as Beamdog developers, also have access to another special sub-forum, and even forum moderators like me don't have access to those threads.
    ThacoBellAerakar