Skip to content

The thread for happiness/spreading your joy

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I remember trying to teach my dad to play card games when I was a wee tyke. I can only wonder what games my son will be into that he will try to teach me.
    JuliusBorisovSkatanStummvonBordwehrArvia
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited May 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I remember trying to teach my dad to play card games when I was a wee tyke. I can only wonder what games my son will be into that he will try to teach me.

1d24ba9033e28d9d5a46d7afdbf2cee79b3a477e.jpg?mw=600

Edit: That's you to the left btw.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellmlneveseArvia
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, seems legit.
    SkatanmlneveseArvia
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Arvia wrote: »
    @ThacoBell , oh yes, they can be. But Gabriel got like 300 of them from a colleague's son yesterday (who has grown out of it) and felt generous.

What frustrates him is trying to teach his dim-witted old mom to play that complicated card game. Especially if he tells me about all their resistance points and numbers of special attacks and expects me to remember them all until tomorrow (I have huge trouble remembering names and numbers, and he's a little math genius).

Wait, the Wizard duals in BG2EE should give you some insight on how to play the game! ;)
    Arvia
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    @BelgarathMTH ,
    the first link doesn't work at all (which is probably a good thing, considering privacy), the second one links to her profile, but only the public information, not the video.
    There should be a "save video" or similar option when you open the video in Facebook, in the right upper corner, to download it to your computer. The same as with pictures.

I'm very happy for you, it's great to hear that you managed to overcome your fear (just once, I can say "I told you so", too :smile: ) I've been broadcasting telepathic courage all day in your direction ?.
    BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Arvia, thank you. But, I can only get the "save video" feature to save the url address that is protected by privacy settings. I have emailed the mother to ask if she could send me the video file in email. Thanks for responding.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    The wife is home, and almost all is well! Now if only I could learn the secret of keeping a toddler from ever getting sick...

Parents all over the world would declare you the Messiah... You'd be filthy rich as well :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    ZaghoulArviaThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hehheh. Skunk odor does tend to linger in my experience. :) Its amazing how that stuff can permeate a house even when it sprays outside.
    ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just came back from watching Pet Sematary and it may or not have been a mistake.
    BelgarathMTHThacoBell
    @BelgarathMTH , that's fascinating, I didn't know there were really people completely without sense of smell.

It would be soooooo useful at work to never smell anything!

And I'm so glad we don't have skunks in Europe!
    BelgarathMTH
    I reconsider.
    Sense of smell is useful. Without it, I wouldn't have noticed the burning plastic in the kitchen only three weeks ago before something else could catch fire.

Of course, smells trigger many memories, good and bad ones, but they also warn us of danger. So, @BelgarathMTH , are you using smoke detectors?
    ThacoBell
    We've had a rainy year over here in San Antonio so far, and the place is a lot greener that it normally would be this time of year (or any time of year). I appreciate being around green stuff.
    ArviaThacoBellStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
    @BillyYank , that was a very wise decision. I was at work, otherwise I would have called him down, too, because it was a very unstable construction. On the other hand, I remember climbing on the roof, too, to get a ball that my son had shot up there... I guess we all see the danger better if another person is involved.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    BillyYank wrote: »
    Arvia wrote: »
    My husband doesn't need surgery for his broken wrist, only a cast for 4-6 weeks. That's going to make life more complicated for a while, but at least he doesn't need to stay in the hospital.

And I've seen the ladder that he fell down, with a huge tree shear (or whatever those monstrosities are called) in his hands, and realized that we can count ourselves very, very lucky that he only broke his wrist and has a few lumps and scratches.

Back in Autumn, my wife and I decided to clean the gutters. We set up the extension ladder, she got half-way up it, and I called her down. We put the ladder away and hired someone.

Just ensure the person you hire is licensed and bonded. There are potential financial repercussions if they get hurt. They're taking the potential injury risk for you, just be positive it's their insurance company taking the liability risk...
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I'm having my drawing challenge #catsofjune for the second year in a row, with 30 cat drawings in 30 days. And it's a joy that I actually have the time for these rather relaxing cat drawings and to see that more people have picked up on this thing.
    ronaldoArviaBalrog99lolien
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Also no, that's not my Instagram, that's the even producer
    Arvia
    @DragonKing: Cool!

I'm curious. What are gallery shows like for an artist?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @semiticgod
    For me ultimately underwhelming but honestly it depends on the venue and the people running it. My very first showing was fully catered with Jamaican food, had a camera recording crew but and we had to do a live post modernist drawing peace using sound as the basis, then we went upstairs where they opened the gallery and the gallery show begin. It was all underwhelming for me i stood there alone all night, no one bothered to talk to me and my family couldn't make it, just a single friend did. So what was suppose to be big night for me really wasn't as I watch my peers also in the show with me constantly talk about their work and take pictures with their family.

At the end of that night, one of my professors asked me how many people talked with me about my work and was surprised when said no one. Come to find out several people talked to home about the "spirituality" of my art since during this time i was doing mythological illustrations from various cultures around the world.

I ultimately just said ef galleries when i was in one show specifically designed to sell art and i stood there watching one woman... And i kid you not... Pay 50 USD for a balloon with plexiglass taped on both sides of it. While i stood there all night withe 4 mythological based drawings, (Greek, Norse, and 2 Yoruba) And not one even getting a second look...
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov