Skip to content

BGII:EE and IWD:EE are back on Google Play

Comments

• Anyname1Anyname1 Member Posts: 22
    shabadoo wrote: »
    I find it odd that people think this is somehow advantageous for Beamdog. Yes they have some people's money and now the games are unavailable. But they don't have more money coming in, which is the entire point from a business standpoint. They could've left the games up, they already had your money, and have been getting paid all this time. It makes no sense to think they're keeping the games off the store to screw people when it screws themselves more. True, Beamdog made the decision to incorporate these changes into the next patch that they were already working on. True, they could've treated it as a separate issue and probably had the games back up by now. True, they are more damaged by this than any of us.

All it takes is a gui fix thats like a few hours work with no coding involved. They can't spare a few hours? I've made mods and my own fixes for the EE games while working and school runs/family time . It's literally beamdogs only job to maintain and develop there games.
  • paolo81paolo81 Member Posts: 4
    I only know that i cannot on my android, so i will never buy another beamdog's game.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Anyname1 wrote: »
    I find it odd that people think this is somehow advantageous for Beamdog. Yes they have some people's money and now the games are unavailable. But they don't have more money coming in, which is the entire point from a business standpoint. They could've left the games up, they already had your money, and have been getting paid all this time. It makes no sense to think they're keeping the games off the store to screw people when it screws themselves more. True, Beamdog made the decision to incorporate these changes into the next patch that they were already working on. True, they could've treated it as a separate issue and probably had the games back up by now. True, they are more damaged by this than any of us.

All it takes is a gui fix thats like a few hours work with no coding involved. They can't spare a few hours? I've made mods and my own fixes for the EE games while working and school runs/family time . It's literally beamdogs only job to maintain and develop there games.

As has already been said, Beamdog decided to incorporate this privacy crap into an already ongoing, and to my understanding already delayed, update/patch. This is more an indictment than a defense of their decision making. They could've treated privacy separately but didn't. I'd guess it's because they had no people to spare, at the time, due to other obligations (e.g. console release). I've said that not being able to get a refund, or other remedy, is wrong and I would be pissed about it. I have my issue with Beamdog, and must wait and see if the next patch even addresses the problem. The difference being that I will likely be able to get a refund if it doesn't. I waited three weeks to get anyone to even look at my bug report, only to learn that. So I understand the frustration of feeling ignored and unappreciated as a player. But I play wait and see, for now. Because there's a chance I play, if I back out now it's guaranteed I won't.
    edited June 2019

As has already been said, Beamdog decided to incorporate this privacy crap into an already ongoing, and to my understanding already delayed, update/patch. This is more an indictment than a defense of their decision making. They could've treated privacy separately but didn't. I'd guess it's because they had no people to spare, at the time, due to other obligations (e.g. console release). I've said that not being able to get a refund, or other remedy, is wrong and I would be pissed about it. I have my issue with Beamdog, and must wait and see if the next patch even addresses the problem. The difference being that I will likely be able to get a refund if it doesn't. I waited three weeks to get anyone to even look at my bug report, only to learn that. So I understand the frustration of feeling ignored and unappreciated as a player. But I play wait and see, for now. Because there's a chance I play, if I back out now it's guaranteed I won't.

I don't have any faith in the after market support in beamdog its why I'm so sceptical. Even PST has the bug where you can pause and still attack with morte at times making him the strongest character ever in the forgotten realms. It's from the original game still. It's been reported but it's still in the game since it was first ever released before the EE. He could easily solo the lady of pain if that was possible.
  • wallaceprimewallaceprime Member Posts: 57
    So it's the 6th of June now, what's the ETA on this being resolved?

Are we talking days, weeks or months here?

And Google play have just confirmed I am not eligible for a refund and to take it up with beamdog
  • Whisp3Whisp3 Member Posts: 10
    Console ports are being released so probably that is why Beamdog puts the issue aside.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Whisp3 wrote: »
    Console ports are being released so probably that is why Beamdog puts the issue aside.

No, this is completely unrelated. We're progressing on fixing the GP issue.

That's good Julius, so what's a rough timeframe for it being returned to Google play and are beamdog willing to refund if the delay is untenable, as Google play aren't willing to
    edited June 2019

Good to hear that and I want to believe badly that the games are coming back to PlayStore. What makes things worse for me NVN EE is now like two taps away but until Beamdog (provides substantial informationfon, for instance ETA like @wallaceprime suggested), can guarantee that another games will not disappear without a trace (even a receipt vanished from PlayStore) as ID EE did, I have to wait...

Post edited by Whisp3 on
    FaolRuaidh wrote: »
    I emailed BD about this issue myself in the second week of April and have a ZenDesk support request #34833. The email I reseived about this issue, an individual named Charles closed out my request saying thus issue has been "solved", but I still don't have a copy of Icewind Dale: Expanded Edition nor Baldur's Gate 2: Expanded Edition.

This is beyond frustrating. I feel (and it sounds as if many others as well) that I am being given the run-around by Google and BD. It seems as these games are being held hostage by one or both parties and the only ones getting the shorth end of the stick is us, the consumer.

I have been a fan and owner of the games since the original release of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 and, since I could not get the original CDs to load anymore, bought the new expanded edition from BeamDog. I have bought the two Android versions of BG:EE and BG2:EE as well as IWD:EE and PlaneScape: Torment: EE. Why am I legitimately supporting a company that is not giving me access to a product that I bought for a specific OS, in good faith, and, waiting more than a month for access to that product, being told only to "be patient". If the problem were merely an issue with a change to Google policy as stated earlier, the issue would have been resolved by now and back to being available, for this is not a major coding issue. There is more going on behind the scenes than is being admitted to by BD. I personally think that they could have had the product back up by now, but since they are doing an update of the code they are waiting for this to be completed and will just put it up when they want to, consumers be damned.

I also received an email from "Charles" who closed my ticket as "Solved" telling me "no refunds, you'll just need to wait till it's been returned to Google play"

Not really solved my problem there Charles ....

I don't have a game

I don't have my money
    Hello Everyone,

We're currently working to resolve the issue with Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition being removed from the Google Play store. The issue is related to a condition in Google Play that now requires in-game privacy policies, rather than allowing apps to link to privacy policies. We're building an update that will make sure these games comply with the in-game privacy policy, but this may take some time. We apologize for the inconvenience this has created for our Google Play customers. Our goal is to get these games back into your library as soon as possible.

If you have downloaded the games you should still have access to them. If you have not downloaded the games, they should reappear in your purchases once the issue is resolved. Those who wish to seek refunds will need to request this through Google Play support.

We'll keep you posted about updates as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your feedback and understanding.

@Juro66 @ElysianEchoes @Prince_Raymond @Istrate @RodgerBiles @JANT19294 @Loster @deree @thomasop @Maurvir @shabadoo @Criminogenesis @Arvia @dacat @MarkovichIDN @Mscheepbouwer @Rathenau @Pirrie @deltago @Ludwig_II @przelucki_andrew @Zackel @kieranovks

My bold

Ok Julius I've requested a refund through Google play, who have turned me down as it's outside the time frame. They have directed me to beamdog.

I've raised a ticket with beamdog support requesting a refund. They have said no and that I'll just need to wait till it appears back on Google play. Cheeky bugger marked my issue as Solved.

Be explicit what is the issue around posting a timeframe? This issue has been going on for months now.

The fact not even a rough time frame has been released makes me think we're going to be waiting months if we see it return at all.

Another thing I'm not really getting is why there is no offer of alternate downloads for folk who've purchased the game

I see earlier Julius said they couldn't offer links as that would mean Piracy, but the pc versions of the games are all available on GOG.com drm free with little concern for the piracy implications.

It's just bizarre

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Google has your money, not Beamdog. Google removed the product not Beamdog.

They are the only one who can offer a refund because once Beamdog resubmits the app, google will not know that Beamdog gave you a refund and you will still have access to the game. Google also knows how much you actually paid for the game through their store unlike Beamdog.

I already stated early in this thread it’d be cool if Google Play had the type of option that Steam has where they can offer a game for free for a limited time. Sadly they do not and everyone just has to wait for Google to approve Beamdog’s next app submission.

Just keep this incident in mind when publishers start pushing Stadia. It’s going to be the same BS there but on a grander scale.
    semiticgoddessPrince_RaymondkjeronStummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2019
    That Charles guy told me to read the forums and I'll change my mind. I still haven't. I realistically don't see this being fixed for another 3 months or so and they'll keep shifting the blame to either Google or wotsc. Android isn't high priority.

Beamdog has by far one of the worse after market support for there products.
  • PirriePirrie Member Posts: 26
    kieranovks wrote: »
    Haven't posted in a few pages is the narrative still getting spun.. Google bad, beam dog good. Eta of fix whenever?

Also are the refunds working or is it contact beam dog then contact Google then contact beam dog carousel?

THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY REASONS TO FEAR THE DEATH OF PHYSICAL MEDIA, DIGITAL DOWNLOADS ARE NEVER YOURS. They would've had to pry the BG2 C.D out of my cold, gaming battered dead hands.

Word up Pirrie:)

Still the same. An ETA or even a very rough estimate would make a huge difference.

I'm happy to wait as long as we are talking this year. No info though is just going to enrage their customers as we can all see.
    PokotaWhisp3
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    So the one who pardon Beamdog is just spinning? In that case I am a master spinner I’d reckon.

But here is my the reason behind my view: If I buy a Coke in a 7-11, and dont get what I or the buy is revoked, I have to contact Coca-Cola and not the 7-11 shop? In most legal systems its the other way around: you have to contact the vendor and not the manufactor for the refund.

So in my eyes blaming Google for the lack of refund is the right way to go. Most legal systems seems to back it. But thats just me spinning.
    So the one who pardon Beamdog is just spinning? In that case I am a master spinner I’d reckon.

But here is my the reason behind my view: If I buy a Coke in a 7-11, and dont get what I or the buy is revoked, I have to contact Coca-Cola and not the 7-11 shop? In most legal systems its the other way around: you have to contact the vendor and not the manufactor for the refund.

So in my eyes blaming Google for the lack of refund is the right way to go. Most legal systems seems to back it. But thats just me spinning.

Most of us have contacted google and they said contact beamdog. When we contacted beamdog "Charles" tells us to be patient and read the forums and it'll magically change our minds. It hasn't. The fix is a very easy fix and a ui change to add the required info in game would take a day tops no coding is necessary.

Beamdog refuse to do this and support the products they released on android. Telling us we have to wait isn't a solution or an acceptable answer when it's been months already.
    Well thats easy for Google to say. And its not right.

You as a costumer have a claim against Google not Beamdog. The game works in the same manner as when you bought it. The vendor has just removed it from the shelves - plain and simple.

But since you are dealing with one of the largest companies you have zero chance in a legal battle. So lets be glad that Beamdog have decided to comply to the new demands from Google, even if they arent required to do so. Many other companies have decided not to do so, so you are among the lucky even if the wait is long.
    PirrieGusinda

You as a costumer have a claim against Google not Beamdog. The game works in the same manner as when you bought it. The vendor has just removed it from the shelves - plain and simple.

But since you are dealing with one of the largest companies you have zero chance in a legal battle. So lets be glad that Beamdog have decided to comply to the new demands from Google, even if they arent required to do so. Many other companies have decided not to do so, so you are among the lucky even if the wait is long.

Rather beamdog come out and say we are no longer supporting android than playing the blame game. At least its closure. But saying they still support android but not fixing the games so there customers can actually play them is a kick in the teeth.

Rather beamdog come out and say we are no longer supporting android than playing the blame game. At least its closure. But saying they still support android but not fixing the games so there customers can actually play them is a kick in the teeth.

I believe that they are fixing the game, they claim to be doing so, you are just not happy that it is not to your timescale.
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2019
    Changing the ui to accommodate the info doesn't take months to fix. They could of made a simple update to the ui in a few hours and then work on a more detailed version for the next patch.
    Changing the ui to accommodate the info doesn't take months to fix. They could of made a simple update to the ui in a few hours and then work on a more detailed version for the next patch.

You might be correct. Unfortunately that would also increase their workload even further. It may not be feasible for them to do as you keep suggesting. Maybe you could bring it up when you attend the next board meeting, oh, that's right, you are not on the board or on employee at all. Maybe that's why they are doing it their way, not your way.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you try giving them some slack before they decide just to right the game off because they've had enough of being started on.
    @Perrin it would take 1 employee a couple of hours to fix the android issues and get the games back on the store available to purchase. Assigning one employee for a few hours would have very little impact on any inhouse projects.

I would even do it for a small fee I could knock it out this afternoon.
    @Perrin it would take 1 employee a couple of hours to fix the android issues and get the games back on the store available to purchase. Assigning one employee for a few hours would have very little impact on any inhouse projects.

I would even do it for a small fee I could knock it out this afternoon.

Sorry, your constant digs are getting the better off me. At least I resisted twisting your offer of knocking it out this afternoon for the correct fee.

We don't know the whole story. You don't know if it is as simple as you say. It might be that they are willing, but rather not able to as it would breach an agreement already in place with a third party regarding the update.

Either way, I personally believe you should be more interested in the lack of communication as to why.

Perrin
    AKA Pirrie
    PokotaStummvonBordwehr
  • bkh07077bkh07077 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2019
    when the games will back? what is the problem? i dont care about the money but do care about confort with playing games on bed where i cant play PC games....
    Pirrie wrote: »

I believe that they are fixing the game, they claim to be doing so, you are just not happy that it is not to your timescale.

Mate they've given no timescale, the timescale could be 1 year, 5 years or a a decade, their silence is unacceptable.

Googles t&C's state that refunds after the time setout in the t&C's need to be issued by the dev.

I've paid for the game, had it 6 months, now I don't, by the t&C's we signed up for, beamdog is on the hook, not Google.

It is not exactly that. This time the vendor also removed a copy of the game from my home (the fact that is digital should not matter at all when it is paid for) and said it wasn't there in the first place (payment history in PlayStore).

It is not exactly that. This time the vendor also removed a copy of the game from my home (the fact that is digital should not matter at all when it is paid for) and said it wasn't there in the first place (payment history in PlayStore).
    So Google removed the game? Well then its Google’s fault isnt it?

What I meant by saying it works, is that the game works fine if you where allowed to play it. Beamdog didnt break the game or decided to withdraw it - Google withdrew it. If Google decided to let you play the game, it would work So the game works, its just isnt there.

Google saying that the vendor has to refund your purchase is a load of BS. Google have a disclaimer that nullifies their liability - big companies to that because they can - but it still isnt right. So blame Google, an den thankful that Beamdog hasnt given up yet. Many devs have done that, but Beamdog hasnt.

Btw an excellent show case of times to come when Google launches their take on the console market...