Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Did you ever wonder how many people died in Candlekeep due to Sarevok?

Under Candlekeep in the tombs there are several rooms full of corpses. By my count:

Room 1: 17 dead humans, 1 dead ghoul, 1 dead dog, 2 ghouls
    Room 2: 10 dead humans, 1 ghoul
    Room 3: it's impossible to tell due to the pile, but at least 33 humans, 3 ghouls and 2 dog corpses and 6 ghouls

My theory is that the live ghouls are the doppleganger victims who didn't die but who turned into ghouls by surviving on the dead.

This means that Sarevok murdered somewhere between 60-70, at the very least, in Candlekeep. This may or may not include Charname's childhood friends. The only confirmed kill is Shistal, a priest of Oghma and a watcher, as they are actively being impersonated when Charname visits. Everyone else you meet in the crypts could still be alive, but was probably killed.
    JuliusBorisovlolienProont
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I just figured ghouls and ghasts had torn through the tombs, leaving disinterred bodies all over.
    At the start of BG2 when you discuss Candlekeep with Imoen it's mentioned that you've changed and "it's too small now". No mention of "everyone we know is dead".
    I think the invasion was still small and nipped in the bud with minimum casualties.
    elminsterlolien
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Grum said:

The corpses can't be adventuring paties.

(1) There are far too few dangers. The traps are few and far between. There are a few spiders in the caves who would eat their prey, and basilisk who turn you into stone.

Once you trigger a trap its gone, unless it gets reset, which doesnt happen often I imagine.

Enough parties go through, the less traps to set off.

(2) The corpses are recent. They aren't skeletal, meaning that they must have died soon. They are left out to rot, meaning that so many died in such a short amount of time that they couldn't be properly disposed of. This shows that it was a trickle of adventurers over the beards
    Some of them could have been your friends and mentors, however, some could have also been the assassin party sent in to kill you or other Saravok lackies. With the other guy down there wait in for everyone it tells yu this is how Shank and Carbos snuck in.

(3) They are left in a holy place, meaning that the monks didn't do it. Why defile your own holy spot

(4) The dead piles include animals, and we know that dopplegangers will dissect animals. This shows them disposing of animal carcasses with the rest.
    There is also suppose to be a silver dragon living under candlekeep as well. Legend tells that it is friendly and will only attack you if you refuse to hamd over any litature you are carrying as it thinks you have stolen the tomes from Candlekeep.

It needs to feed, and may explain for the animal remains as well.

lolienBladeDancerMalicronProont
    Huh. So indeed there is a dragon hidden somewhere down there. Though google tells me that the dragon is now a ghost, meaning that it doesn't need to feed.

So the corpses could be:

(1) Bodies dug out by ghouls.
    - I don't buy it, as I only see 2 crypts in the entire dungeon, both of which are locked and trapped.

(2) The bodies of candlekeep residents and perhaps some visitors as well
    - atcDave doesn't buy it, as the game really should make a bigger deal out of this if it is true

(3) Adventurers, thieves and the like who are now dragon food, with those areas being feeding pits
    - Is the dragon a ghost? If so, does it need to eat?

Whatever it is, there is a sad story behind it. That is for certain.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Cespenar is good servant, oh yes.
    JuliusBorisovlolienButtercheeseProont
    I...I must try that immediately!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Both Aerie and Ulbrec Dinnesmore greet you with the phrase "Who are you? Whoever you are..."
    DJKajurulolienProont

There is not a single turnip in all of BG2.

In ToB try dismissing Jan in the initial forest scene. You can't do it. He offers you a handful of turnips if you allow him to stay with your party.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessProont
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Someone got a bit carried away with the file names. For instance in BG1 there is a "dork.dlg" file that is used by a patron in the bar in baldur's gate that has the slime problem. There is also a "chimp5.dlg" file (that I think is used by one of the iron throne guards).
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    is bellamy the guy with the colourful clothes in the house in the palace district?
    wuke
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I thought he was the bloke that moans rather a lot when he sings (not that I dislike his music).