Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    Autocrat wrote: »
    I'm doing a wizard slayer run right now. It's a blast. The kit was buffed in the 2.0 patch to get a 25% chance to miscast magic on hit.

They always had this chance, not 10%, see https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19691/wizard-slayer-miscast-magic-ability and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/590181/#Comment_590181. Only the description was updated. So maybe some players didn't try wizard slayers because of the wrong description, not because of the kit's specifics.

Also, now Storm Ring and Dawn Ring will be usable by Wizard Slayers. Maybe not much, but still something.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Storm Ring and Dawn Ring don't actually do anything.
  • AutocratAutocrat Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for the clarification, bengoshi.

While the Dawn Ring certainly is... something, I was thinking of something more along the lines of a Wizard slayer-defining item. Their Carsomyr, if you will. Ah, merely a pipe dream.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited March 2016
    Tresset wrote: »
    I like the new UI. That seems to be an unpopular opinion right now...

Well, the same can be said for the other side. I still believe 2.0 has changed or broken far too many things that were not an issue in the first place, but it's hard to say this without looking or feeling like the most ungrateful prick ever.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Well, branching off the Wizard Slayer discussion, another unpopular opinion of mine would be that the fixation on countering mages in BG2 is overblown. They're scary when you don't fully understand all the zillions of spells they're protecting themselves with and using to debilitate you, but once you understand their tricks they become predictable. You don't need another mage to beat a mage, nor do you need an Inquisitor or something. You can use a cleric to counter their spells with buffs, or fighters with elemental weapons to damage through stoneskin, or a Shadowdancer with Cloak of Non-Detection to waste their spells. Bottom line, you'll need something to deal with hostile spellcasters, but you also need something for Adamantite Golems, too. The former gets too much attention.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Abi_Dalzim , I think you're right for the unmodded game. However, the people who make huge threads discussing "mage chess", and obsessing over what spell counterspells what defenses and immunities, are almost all using SCS, which makes "fixation on countering mages" absolutely necessary. SCS mages behave intelligently, won't waste spells on summons, illusions (they cast True Sight as one of their first spells), or invisible creatures, have buffs pre-cast, always cast Spell Immunity to both Abjuration (no dispelling for you) and Divination (your True Sight won't work), and all other sorts of nastiness.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Unpopular opinion? Let's do it:

I think most of you ruins all the fun of BG by turning it into rocket science.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited March 2016
    bengoshi wrote: »
    elminster wrote: »
    Storm Ring and Dawn Ring don't actually do anything.

I meant, you know, you can put on them, i.e. move them into the slots. The fact my character can put on something is enough :)

Thats what the really cheap rings are for. Break out all the gold amulets and rings you've been taking off corpses :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,079
    I really like Planescape Torment's combat. I thought it was really great how most of the companions had at least one unique aspect that made them fun to use: Morte is a super tank, Dakkon has his weird sword, Annah is the only thief companion and gets to use all the awesome punching daggers you come across, Fall-From-Grace is the only cleric in the game, and Nordom gets to wear all sorts of lenses, including one that boosts his critical hit chance!

On the other hand, the most of the companions in Baldur's Gate 1 are really boring because they don't have much that makes them unique in terms of stats and abilities. Yes, a few of them have innate abilities, but most of these abilities (with the exception of Minsc's berserk and Yeslick's automatic dispel) are just regular spells that are easy to cast through other means.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Philhelm wrote: »
    Unpopular Opinion: All of Garrick's stats are higher than yours and he can cast arcane spells. He's better than you. You would be the worst NPC in the game.

I don't deserve such horrible treatment!
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    It is actually really great how BG can lead you down a garden path to unrecoverable doom, such as in Balduran's island, e.g. the below link. It adds a difficulty dimension to the game, which is most welcome. There should be more such dead ends, such as instant death if you don't finish the main quest of BGII in time. No quick save reload will help, sorry, but if you want to save charname in time you have to reload from hours before and play it with some urgency this time. No more doing every quest with every character, choose wisely.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49117/help-greater-werewolf-on-ulgoths-beard-island/p1
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    Tresset wrote: »
    I like the new UI. That seems to be an unpopular opinion right now...

With the new build, it's no longer an unpopular opinion :)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Grum wrote: »
    Dwarfs are the master race.

That isn't an unpopular opinion. It is fact.

How popular is it to not use v with the plural?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Abi_Dalzim wrote: »

He's rebelling against the tyranny of Tolkien's dominance of the fantasy genre.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    BillyYank wrote: »
    Abi_Dalzim wrote: »

He's rebelling against the tyranny of Tolkien's dominance of the fantasy genre.

Or just a big Warhammer Fantasy fan. ;)
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Unpopular opinon - unpopular opinions are actually the posts with the least ratings rather than the ones with the most (which rather tend to be unspoken truths).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Kilivitz
    Its a leather gauntlet.

jeez.

jk :D It actually probably is a glove...
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    That NPC in SoD. While I appreciate what they were going for, asking one question and getting a life story was jarring. It would have been more effective in a larger conversation I think. I didn't hate it or the message, I just found it kinda pointless because it was so brief.