Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    It's a common tactic to avoid the Friendly Arm Inn for awhile for no-reloaders: Tarnesh is one of the more deadly foes at low levels outside of a few classes (Three Commands from a Cleric, and Tarnesh is guaranteed dead without a spell, IIRC)

Still rolling through ToB, I'll get an update out soon.
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @lunar has helped me discover that the mod quest in my last post came from the Darkest Day. The area is called Trollford. As for the gnome whose brother disguised himself as two Death Tyrants, that's from Fishing for Trouble.
    lunarArctodusJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996

This no-reload is nuts. I've tried again twice since my last post and got killed by Tarnesh and then on the transition to the Friendly Arm map by that unfair ring of bandit archers I was complaining about in another thread. Mind you, I'm not even using SCS or LOB, and I'm allowing myself munchkin stats. It's nuts, I tells ya! I'd complain even more but I have to go roll another character for my next try.

That ambush is why most experienced no-reloaders will go High Hedge > Beregost and then either get more experience/better armor before trying to get to FAI. While Gorion may have meant well with his instruction to get help from his friends at the FAI, thanks to that ambush and Tarnesh, it's a very risky path for a no-reloader. I generally only go that route immediately if I am RPing, or using an all fighter/paladin/ranger party.
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisovAerakarlolien
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

This no-reload is nuts. I've tried again twice since my last post and got killed by Tarnesh and then on the transition to the Friendly Arm map by that unfair ring of bandit archers I was complaining about in another thread. Mind you, I'm not even using SCS or LOB, and I'm allowing myself munchkin stats. It's nuts, I tells ya! I'd complain even more but I have to go roll another character for my next try.

That ambush is why most experienced no-reloaders will go High Hedge > Beregost and then either get more experience/better armor before trying to get to FAI. While Gorion may have meant well with his instruction to get help from his friends at the FAI, thanks to that ambush and Tarnesh, it's a very risky path for a no-reloader. I generally only go that route immediately if I am RPing, or using an all fighter/paladin/ranger party.
    Yeah, that makes sense. My problem is I'm still trying to RP to a certain extent. And with my particular character (aggressive blackguard) I can only employ risk-averse behaviour to a certain extent without breaking immersion. I guess I need to decide if I can totally dedicate myself to making it to the end at all costs.

In an unrelated note, I'm not sure what is more painful: dying or flubbing scrolls. I'm leaning towards flubbing scrolls.
    lolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Pokota said:

1) Travel overland during the daylight hours if you can help it. Any map transitions starting after Hour 15 do not count as daylight hours.

I agree that's one way to avoid the bandits. The other is to travel using an alternative route that doesn't go up the main road. Note that to do that you need to travel one area at a time as the game will default to standard routes if you do more than that.

Of course, either method relies on your characters understanding the ways of the wild and you may consider they should be ignorant :p.
    JuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldOrlonKronsteenlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Neverused said:

It's a common tactic to avoid the Friendly Arm Inn for awhile for no-reloaders: Tarnesh is one of the more deadly foes at low levels outside of a few classes (Three Commands from a Cleric, and Tarnesh is guaranteed dead without a spell, IIRC)

Still rolling through ToB, I'll get an update out soon.

It is possible to get into the FAI without fighting Tarnesh. You can lure him away around the temple until he loses sight of you so that he never starts talking to you. Some of course can get past him using invisibility.
    Grond0JuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen