Skip to content

Little things that annoy you

Comments

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Greater Giant Dire Grizzly Bhaalspawn Bears?
    We know Bhaal would do that.
    ShikaoZaghoulArctodusThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Artona said:

Lawd... :*:)
    ThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Artona said:

I can imagine Bhaal, disguised in a remote woodland village,

Montresor_SPZaghoulThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    This

ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ZaramMaldovar: Which part? The messenger's weird chattiness, the fact that he's going the wrong way, or that Kelddath Ormlyr is called the governor? I thought Kelddath was just a priest.
    So Kelddath is the ruler AND ranking priest at the Temple of Lathander. In Corans's quest he is also called the mayor (mayor vs governor wording). It always seems like a conflict of interest to me when I see that (serving two masters and all that). :)
    ThacoBell
    @semiticgod
    The fact that he is going the wrong way
    semiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The sword has some of the worst messengers.
    ZaramMaldovarZaghoulRaduzielStummvonBordwehr
    Not even getting into their sense of direction, I would like to know how these messengers manage to traverse such dangerous terrain. Especially that dude wandering around the Ulcaster School area.
    What do they have, some badge, papers? Kobolds, bandits,hobgoblins (I'm sure they would honor that ;) ) and all sorts of hostiles patrolling the area and our illustrious CHARNAMES can get shot down sometimes like fish in a barrel starting out. B)
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    @Zaghoul THAT'S why Faerun is so dangerous. The "monsters" and "demihumans" are actually law enforcement and the other races would rather hire adventurers to murder them than carry proper identification.
    ZaghoulMontresor_SP
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Zaghoul said:

Not even getting into their sense of direction, I would like to know how these messengers manage to traverse such dangerous terrain. Especially that dude wandering around the Ulcaster School area.
    What do they have, some badge, papers? Kobolds, bandits,hobgoblins (I'm sure they would honor that ;) ) and all sorts of hostiles patrolling the area and our illustrious CHARNAMES can get shot down sometimes like fish in a barrel starting out. B)

The Ulcaster guy makes no sense. He is standing within firing range of hobgoblins, practically wearing a target on his back, and all is peaceful until CHARNAME ambles by.
    ZaghoulThacoBellMontresor_SP
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Zaghoul said:

Everybody likes getting post (other than bills).

Why on earth would a kobald/bandit/hobgoblin kill somebody delievering a Birthday card from Auntie Sue which may contain a tenner?

Or how would they keep up the latest developments re the socio/political situation and keeps tabs on the patriarchy, the milatary/industrial complex, realise that free market capitalism is doomed to fail, that the elite are nicking all their money and we are all going to die tomorrow because Trumps gonna press the button (that's if Global Warming doesn't get us first)

(sorry, sorry, sorry, beeen reading the Guardian, Jeez Louise it's a neverending tale of woe. )

It's not like they have Twitter/Facebook.
    Lucky sods. :D
    Balrog99Zaghoul
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It annoys me when these games use the word "insect" to refer to creatures that are not insects.

This annoys me because insects are distinguished from other animals not simply because of some weird genetic thing that doesn't matter in a fantasy setting, but also by something a person could notice by looking at them:

Insects have six legs. If a creature has more than six legs, it's not a insect.

Spiders have more than six legs, therefore they are not insects. Centipedes and millipedes have way more than six legs, therefore they are not insects.

I would have no problem referring to vermin monsters that do not exist in real life but have six legs as insects, even if I knew little about their heredity. But creatures with more than six legs are NOT insects.
    ArtonaSkatangorgonzola
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    This maybe not the game issues but my accidentally double clicking mouse really annoy me
    Skatan
    It annoys me that even Bolt of Glory cannot affect Belhifet in Icewind Dale (since he's immune to all magic). Regardless of how good it is, Bolt of Glory is supposed to be an anti-fiend spell, yet you can't use it on one of the few fiends in the game!

(Yxunomei would be a good target for Bolt of Glory, but you are unlikely to have a cleric with 6th level spells that early.)
    semiticgoddessSkatan

It annoys me when these games use the word "insect" to refer to creatures that are not insects.

This annoys me because insects are distinguished from other animals not simply because of some weird genetic thing that doesn't matter in a fantasy setting, but also by something a person could notice by looking at them:

Insects have six legs. If a creature has more than six legs, it's not a insect.

Spiders have more than six legs, therefore they are not insects. Centipedes and millipedes have way more than six legs, therefore they are not insects.

I would have no problem referring to vermin monsters that do not exist in real life but have six legs as insects, even if I knew little about their heredity. But creatures with more than six legs are NOT insects.

That's...not actually correct.
    @ThacoBell: Which part? I looked up the definition of insect and it specifies a critter with six legs. There's an article here that says centipedes aren't insects because they have more than six legs; they're just arthropods related to insects. I googled "is a centipede an insect" and they were consistently described as different from insects. Here, they're described as members of the Chilopoda subphylum within the Arthropoda phylum, whereas insects belong to the Insecta subphylum.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
    Huh, my whole life is a lie.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzola
    *Twilight Zone music plays*
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2019
    Almost. Arthropods are those with exoskeletons.

Insects are a subfamily of arthropods, specifically they have mostly six legs, antennae and often around 4 wings in adult stage.
    Some butterflies only have 4 legs though. Freaks of the insect family I guess.

Other arthropods are arachnids, crustaceans and myriapods. They can have 6 legs but often don't or have other characteristics.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
    There is a quest in the Ankheg Farm area in which you are "hired" to help maintain the Ankheg Population. If you kill too many, you get chastized but it's not something you have any control over because the Ankheg encounters are randomly generated and massively likely.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2019
    That is the newest insight I have learned in ages. For me it was always all or nothing since I could not figure it out.

They should change the dialogue to mention six breeding ankhegs and mention allowing only up to four slain. Then colour them differently from the default ones.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

There is a quest in the Ankheg Farm area in which you are "hired" to help maintain the Ankheg Population. If you kill too many, you get chastized but it's not something you have any control over because the Ankheg encounters are randomly generated and massively likely.

Actually, how the quest works is that there are six special ankhegs in the farm area by default. These six ankhegs are always there and do not respawn. You need to kill at least one but no more than four of these special ankhegs. The ankhegs that appear in random spawns, rest encounters, the underground ankheg lair, and in other areas are unrelated to the quest - killing them does not affect the kill count for the quest.
    There are not 6 ankhegs guaranteed to be there. There might be 6 locations where ankhegs tied to the quest appear, but it's not likely that you would find ankhegs at each of those unless you repeatedly walk back and forth across the area.
    Balrog99OlvynChuru
    Grond0 said:

Actually, how the quest works is that there are six special ankhegs in the farm area by default. These six ankhegs are always there and do not respawn. You need to kill at least one but no more than four of these special ankhegs. The ankhegs that appear in random spawns, rest encounters, the underground ankheg lair, and in other areas are unrelated to the quest - killing them does not affect the kill count for the quest.
    There are not 6 ankhegs guaranteed to be there. There might be 6 locations where ankhegs tied to the quest appear, but it's not likely that you would find ankhegs at each of those unless you repeatedly walk back and forth across the area.
    Actually, you are right that they are not always there. The six ankhegs are not all there at the same time because they appear at different times of day (the same way various characters in cities only appear during the day or during the night). However, they are all in the same place, namely the far northeast corner of the area. They are not scattered throughout the area.
    Grond0
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    That I can bind only some spells I want via hotkey. As someone who plays with a lot of arcane casters I have almost all spells that I use bound to a key. Expect I can't bind few like HLA spells, triggers, etc.
    gorgonzola
    One doesn't gain XP for defeating enemy summoned creatures. They can be just as dangerous as regular encounters, can kill characters, but yet give no XP.
    Daevelongorgonzola