Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    All the stuff about Dragonspear sounds reeeeaaaly exciting. :smile: if it's really gonna be Adventure Y, it will probably remind me a bit of the Watcher's Keep DLC for Dragon Age: Origins and that brings me to a (i feel) cool idea: I had been pondering what sort of impact Adventure Y could have on BG 2 and felt that extra Experience would be kind of bland. What if CHARNAME could gain some minor addition to his or her Bhaalspawn powers, kind of like the bit of blood magic you would gain in Watchers Keep?

Something you could play with until "Spoiler" (I don't know how to do these, but I'm sure everyone who should, understands what I mean anyway), also he WAS talking about "untapped power" at the start of BG 2. :wink: Maybe two different powers based on alignment/reputation? It would not even have to be a big thing, some minor spell would do just fine. Ohhh... Look at me rambling about my ideas; My fantasy got the better of me. ^^'

On another note: I recently rolled my best Char (stat wise) so far and she's a Cavalier. I hope there will be lots of demons and maybe even a dragon (?) for her to slay. If Volos ramblings are any indication and Adventure Y is indeed related to Dragonspear, she's gonna have a hay day. :smiley: sweet, sweet speculation.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2015
    elminster said:

BG1 starts on the 1st of Mirtul, 1368. BG2 SoA starts on the 1st of Mirtul, 1369. This means that BG1 (and adventure Y) is supposed to take a year (according to the games chronology).

Given that the Bhaalspawn crisis is supposed to be over in 1369 I think if anything there is more leeway in terms of having a game set between the two games, compared to having it set between Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal.

Not really, no. One year isn't a very long time, especially considering that you have to walk everywhere. And it's easier to extend the time between SoA and ToB without it affecting anything really important, the characters and the narrative.
    elminster said:

Plus frankly I think a game set between 1 and 2 is more interesting than one set between SoA an ToB. A game set between 1 and 2 means you don't have to base encounters on a party that might have access to spells like Timestop and Improved Alacrity.

I'd agree, just not from a writing point of view though. There are a lot of limitations in terms of story and characters that have been discussed before, but there are fewer of those later on.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Coutelier said:

Not really, no. One year isn't a very long time, especially considering that you have to walk everywhere.

Its lots of time considering you are considering to be walking across Amn, the Underdark, travelling to Spellhold and ending up in and traversing Tehtyr in the span of 8 months.
    edited February 2015
    elminster said:

Coutelier said:

Not really, no. One year isn't a very long time, especially considering that you have to walk everywhere.

Its lots of time considering you are considering to be walking across Amn, the Underdark, travelling to Spellhold and ending up in and traversing Tehtyr in the span of 8 months.
    No, but that's a problem to do with the original writers. Aerie gets pregnant and gives birth in a month... they clearly had no notion of the passage of time.

But on a serious note, it's not nearly enough time for all that's supposed to have happened between Aerie and Quayle to have happened, for example. Neera needs quite a bit of time to get her refuge up and running. Whereas nothing really major happens to any of the characters between the later installments. It doesn't really matter at all if the saga actually ends a little more into 1370 .
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

I admit to having a bit of a domain buying problem. I get an idea, start up thesaurus.com and start buying domains. I think I have close to one hundred of them across all my accounts.

@TrentOster Trying to throw us off the scent are you? We must be getting to close to the truth!
    Press on comrades in arms! Reveal the secrets of adventure Y for those of us that don't know that much of the lore.
    scriver said:

@TrentOster - Oh no, you! I remember when you said those same very words when we found that icewind dale domain registered to your name! That won't work this time. You're not fooling me twice! :P

That or have a lot more likely contenders.

DragonspearCrusade.com
    CrusadeofDragonspear.com
    DawnatDragonspear.com

etc
    Robots, oil, and high fantasy. What could go wrong? :p
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

The well at the Soubar orphanage has turned sour due to a nearby cult of Cyric and their incessant fracking!

Using magical robotic surrogates that are immune to toxic gases you must venture deep beneath the earth to confront the cultists and their earth elemental allies.

I think I would actually like to play that...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

actually Adventure Y is officially called Baldur's Gate: Oilfield Robotics

MwahahahAhahA! I knew, I knew nothing!

I predict, due to an inexhaustible supply of oil, all monster can cast grease as a free action!

Except of course, even though it is the same spell, it will be called the the black ooze of doooom!
    Bear in mind too that a really big expansion is going to throw much of the balance in SoA out of whack anyway. So yeah, the size of TotSC seems about right, allowing just 1 or 2 extra levels before SoA, which is a fair size really.

It should be borne in mind too that several popular NPC's like Aerie, Mazzy and Jan aren't introduced until BG2, so for purely selfish reasons I want to able to take them along on any major new adventure. Doesn't even have to be between SoA and ToB... just an expansion to SoA would suffice, in more of the vein of TotSC. But bigger.

None of this however means that I'm actually against adventure-y. I'm only ever critical of things I care about and want to be really good.

Hence why I'm never going to say anything about 50 Shades of Grey... I mean I could have had Beyonce in the soundtrack to my film if I'd written some ******* fanfic about Harry Potter being ****** by Dumbledore, but that's fine. I don't care.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I'd love to see characters like Aerie but I think it would mess with too much of SoA to have some of the BG2 characters involved with Adventure Y.

I'd love to see characters like Aerie but I think it would mess with too much of SoA to have some of the BG2 characters involved with Adventure Y.

Yeah I know, which is why I'd really like to see a later expansion as well. I mean I'm sure there are possible ways around it if you wanted to be tricksy, like having Solar appear and summon characters and then them losing their memory of it when they're sent back. But yeah, just another expansion during or at the end of SoA would be fine. Doesn't matter to me if it means having to set ToB back a little bit.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Coutelier said:

Yeah I know, which is why I'd really like to see a later expansion as well. I mean I'm sure there are possible ways around it if you wanted to be tricksy, like having Solar appear and summon characters and then them losing their memory of it when they're sent back. But yeah, just another expansion during or at the end of SoA would be fine. Doesn't matter to me if it means having to set ToB back a little bit.

Hah, the memory thing would be too convenient. I wouldn't mind having something in between SoA and ToB as well depending on how well Y goes.

Coutelier said:

Hah, the memory thing would be too convenient. I wouldn't mind having something in between SoA and ToB as well depending on how well Y goes.
    We do know that when summoned in ToB a lot of their memories are a bit muddled. but I think you're probably right.

So here's hoping it turns out good and doesn't make the internet really angry.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

elminster said:

Anduin said:

Sooo...

Does this Dragonspear place...

Does it have a gazebo?

If not. I want one put in.

Why only put one in?
    Dread Gazebo on Twitter is now "Left Dread Gazebo" which I find hilarious every single time.
    Dread Gazebo? Sounds like a real cool cat...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    So... There will be a Gazebo?