Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Honestly, my default BG run these days starts in SOA, where I'll EEKeeper myself the boosts you'd get from the stat tomes, along with XP commensurate with finishing TotSC, or more rarely SOD, and get going from there.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Kinda.

Unpopular opinion: the original Baldur's Gate doesn't stand the test of time. It's too clunky, unbalanced, primitive, and immersion-breaking to stand up to more recent titles.

not only that but bg 1 with out npc project is not even worth playing imo. so in general a bg 1 needs to be modded to be enjoyable.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857

Kinda.

Unpopular opinion: the original Baldur's Gate doesn't stand the test of time. It's too clunky, unbalanced, primitive, and immersion-breaking to stand up to more recent titles.

not only that but bg 1 with out npc project is not even worth playing imo. so in general a bg 1 needs to be modded to be enjoyable.
    However, with a bunch of mods, it's great.
    edited August 2018

Honestly, my default BG run these days starts in SOA, where I'll EEKeeper myself the boosts you'd get from the stat tomes, along with XP commensurate with finishing TotSC, or more rarely SOD, and get going from there.

Did you know that Finn-Jo's Sub-race mod will add the stats for the tomes automatically?
    (That doesn't include the ToSC extra tomes)
    If you don't want the sub-races you don't need to use them.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2018
    Reasons why BG1 doesn't click with me:
    • Contrived, detached storyline
    • Low level rocket tag-esque gameplay
    • Caricature NPCs
    • Weak variety of enemies
    • Large sparse open areas full of nothing
    • The sidequests are short and boring
    • The dungeons are dull labyrinths with too many traps
    • HUGE WALLS OF TEXT IN DIALOGUE
    • TotSC sucked
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I don't know how unpopular this is, but I edit my SoD games to keep the TosC XP Cap (160.000) , otherwise Bg2 starts way easier.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Kinda.

Do you really hold that opinion or is it just because of the thread you are posting in?
    This is getting confusing.

I understand this thread is about opinions that people have the right to hold without being deemed "wrong".
    But the reason I'm asking this is because of this point "immersion-breaking".
    @UnderstandMouseMagic: I do hold that opinion, which is why I posted it. Just because it's highly unpopular doesn't mean it's insincere. I don't make posts just to stir controversy.

To answer your question, the things I find immersion-breaking in BG1 are the more humorous things like some of the sillier dialogue options and characters like Portalbendarwinden. If you stick to the main quests of BG1 and TotSC, the game is pretty serious, but the side quests and side areas tend to be a little goofier.

But as we've said before, this thread is not here for intensive debate. It's here for voicing unpopular opinions and subjective feelings--not trying to pin down objective facts.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Kinda.

Do you really hold that opinion or is it just because of the thread you are posting in?

I understand this thread is about opinions that people have the right to hold without being deemed "wrong".
    @UnderstandMouseMagic: I do hold that opinion, which is why I posted it. Just because it's highly unpopular doesn't mean it's insincere. I don't make posts just to stir controversy.

To answer your question, the things I find immersion-breaking in BG1 are the more humorous things like some of the sillier dialogue options and characters like Portalbendarwinden. If you stick to the main quests of BG1 and TotSC, the game is pretty serious, but the side quests and side areas tend to be a little goofier.

But as we've said before, this thread is not here for intensive debate. It's here for voicing unpopular opinions and subjective feelings--not trying to pin down objective facts.

Thanks for the reply and wasn't having a go.

Funnily enough I find the random characters in BG make it far more real. Maybe I look approachable (but then it happens to my children as well), I find meeting characters like Portalbendarwinden is quite a regular occurance.
    People tell you the most extraordinary things completely out of the blue sometimes.

For instance, at a bustop (at a frigging bustop) some years back this random woman ended up telling me all about her child (who was with her and playing with mine) whose father was her husband's brother, and he knew but the husband didn't, nor did the grandparents. But what really worried her was she wanted another but was finding it hard to decide whether to go with the tried and tested brother or her actual husband because she was worried that the child would look very different.

Case of, why tell me?
    But if you put that in BG, it would fit perfectly. That mixture of something quite serious being presented in a way that makes it hard to actually take it seriously as her concern was so arbitrary.

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I mean, there's also characters like Maple Aspen Willow and Bub Snikt and Larry, Darryl, and Darryl, which outright break immersion... The tombstone inscriptions in Nashkel and the random Phoenix King encounter there don't help either.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited August 2018
    Neverused said:

I mean, there's also characters like Maple Aspen Willow and Bub Snikt and Larry, Darryl, and Darryl, which outright break immersion... The tombstone inscriptions in Nashkel and the random Phoenix King encounter there don't help either.

As a DM I add some puns and supposably funny remarks in my narratives and players seem to enjoy it as long as it works as comic relief rather than general rule.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    BG1EE is better than BG2 and BG2EE.

old-BG1 is unbearable.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I don't dislike replaying bg1, but some parts are a bit tedious early on. Once I get to the city i have a ton of fun though. Very atmospheric, just not as much as Athkatla.

Totsc has actually grown on me a lot over the years.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

@Permidion_Stark: I tend to give agrees even to posts I only partially agree with, especially if the part I agree with comes at the end. Sometimes I put the most agreeable part of my own post at the bottom to make the post overall seem more agreeable!

Cookies are delicious.

Smart tactic.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

Kinda.

Of all the things that can be said about BG, the opinion that it doesn't pull you into the world completely I find very strange.

BG2 you can see and feel the "game", it's been created to pull in a bigger audience and there are things that simply don't work from any angle. Too many quests set within shouting distance from each other, too many conveniences, too much driven narrative, too many set pieces.
    You have to really suspend your sense of disbelief for a lot of the game and invent a lot of head cannon.

BG on the other hand just evolves IMO. You can lose yourself in the setting.
    Welp almost made it without a complete ban, oh well.

Honestly, its the open worldness combined with the type of story that causes bg1 to fall into the same trap bg 2 did for me. It's one of those " time is of the importance" yet hey look we can go to this big open world and explore it before doing anything that actually matters with no real repercussions for our lollygagging. I mean i am a fan of open worlds, heck i like exploring but with certain types of you have to suspend your disbelief
    @DragonKing I agree totally with you in hating the fact that you are always being told this or that is urgent and it isn't at all.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    A game that did open world nicely to was the grand theft auto series. Well, I only played vice city, San Andreas, and liberty city so I can't speak for the newer ones.

But with moat the missions I never really dealt that there was a sense of urgency, except for specific missions which were actually timed, or you failed then because you couldn't keep up.

But I believe this was also aided by the fact that the story never really was a hero's journey or the fact the world didn't basically revolve around the mc. You were just a average joe just trying to come up. Yeah, you do become a crime lord but that's in the later half.

One of the things about linear stories is they can fit the urgency into not just into the story but also into the play.
    I hate games that are too linear. Much prefer games such as BG.
  • CheckmateSandersonCheckmateSanderson Member Posts: 50
    You know what? I actually don't dislike any of the recruitable NPCs. I like Neera, I like Khalid, I like Anomen, I...am stoically tolerant of Hexxat. I genuinely feel that even the most two-dimensional party members have enough characterisation to warrant some degree of sympathy.