Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    elminster said:

Fafhrd isn't just a random word they came up with for the thieves guild password. Fafhrd is actually the name of a protagonist of a series of short story adventure novels.

Not just a series of short stories! Fritz Leiber's tales of swords and sorcery in the late 60s and 70s helped pave the way for Dungeons & Dragons, Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. And they are still great fun to read even today!
    ZaghoulStummvonBordwehrAerakarlolien
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Tresset said:

DJKajuru said:

Did you know that a hasted character wearing the ring of regeneration heals twice as fast? Dunno of that's a bug, but I've just found that out.

They also take poison damage twice as fast...
    The flame that burns twice as bright and all that...
    Zaghoullolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Poison damage twice as fast can be REALLY dangerous particularly if you don't have the most recent update that nerfs poison damage.
    Zaghoul
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    DJKajuru said:

Did you know that a hasted character wearing the ring of regeneration heals twice as fast? Dunno of that's a bug, but I've just found that out.

If I recall haste effects make your character experience 3 second rounds, instead of 6, so they burn through a lot of stuff quicker. A character that was both charmed and hasted would only be charmed for half as long as expected.
    StummvonBordwehrZaghoullolien
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Well I reckon it gave 'ol Prism the sculptor a heart attack, so all that kinda makes sense, being he was abusing potions of speed.
    DJKajuruBalrog99Wise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

In the original IWD and I think the original BG1, haste effects doubled everything. You could actually get party-wide 10 attacks per round in IWD by stacking Haste with Righteous Wrath of the Faithful spells (RWF isn't supposed to stack with Haste, but you could get around it by casting them in the right order) at the cost massive fatigue penalties (which could be prevented or cured with the right options). Bard songs also got doubled; a Hasted bard could give the party 20% resistance to physical damage using War Chant of the Sith (bard songs used to stack), or even apply two songs at once by alternating between them.

With the help of a bard, a high-level druid could attain undispellable 95% physical damage resistance in water elemental form, or 85% with an unhasted bard. I ran a party in the original IWD with two bards and a druid, and the druid made a virtually invincible tank as a great blob of water.

Well it is kinda hard to get rid of a pesky water elemental. I recommend the 7th level wizard spell - Bounty. It's the quicker picker-upper!
    ChroniclerThacoBellAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

With the help of a bard, a high-level druid could attain undispellable 95% physical damage resistance in water elemental form, or 85% with an unhasted bard. I ran a party in the original IWD with two bards and a druid, and the druid made a virtually invincible tank as a great blob of water.

In Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, it's even easier to get really high damage resistance with a druid. Just cast Armor of Faith and shapeshift into a water elemental. That gives you 95% physical damage resistance if you're level 15-19, or complete invulnerability to all physical damage if you're level 20 or higher. Druids can get high physical damage resistance even easier than dwarven defenders.
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrlolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    This may be old news to most, I've never been accused of being observant.

Did you know that screenshots are now saved as .png's instead of .bmp's? That cuts the size of screenshot nearly in half. Of course, .jpg cuts the size by 95%, but it's a start.
    Aerakarlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I use Irfanview to mass-convert screenshots to jpegs. It takes 3 button presses and 2 minutes to convert 500 images. It helps a lot because I take a lot of screenshots during no-reload runs to document them. For some saga runs, I have over 1,000 screenshots.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarlolien

Did you know that the cambion in Chateau Irenicus has a stat total of 114? For comparison, Melissan at the end of Throne of Bhaal has a stat total of 119.

Are its stats just really poorly distributed or something?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

Did you know that the cambion in Chateau Irenicus has a stat total of 114? For comparison, Melissan at the end of Throne of Bhaal has a stat total of 119.

Are its stats just really poorly distributed or something?
    Yeah, not enough hitpoints!
    Wise_GrimwaldChroniclerAerakarlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited December 2018
    BillyYank said:

Did you know that screenshots are now saved as .png's instead of .bmp's? That cuts the size of screenshot nearly in half. Of course, .jpg cuts the size by 95%, but it's a start.

Mine aren't. Still bmps, but as I always save them as jpegs it doesn't make any difference. :) Perhaps I could change my settings to save them as pngs, but it doesn't really make any difference, so I expect that I won't bother. Now if I could automatically save them as a jpeg, that would be another story!!
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

BillyYank said:

Mine aren't. Still bmps, but as I always save them as jpegs it doesn't make any difference. :) Perhaps I could change my settings to save them as pngs, but it doesn't really make any difference, so I expect that I won't bother. Now if I could automatically save them as a jpeg, that would be another story!!
    This was in IWD 2.5.13.1. I just assumed the BG's would be the same. It doesn't make any difference to me either, I actually discovered it when I went to convert my screenshot to .jpg. But it surprised me since I don't remember seeing anything about it in the new version notes.

Wise_Grimwald
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    @Flashburn: That's odd - I can't get my game to do that. I'm casting a Fire Shield (Blue) through Nahal's, and then casting Horror straight afterwards; the game doesn't execute any wild surge.
    Am I doing something wrong?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Bubb
    Ah. I may have misread your first post a little bit. The wild surge postponement occurs when you use NRD to cast a spell that has the "ignore wild surge" flag set on it, which is most commonly contingencies and sequencers.

Did you know that there are actually a lot of quests/situations in Baldur's Gate where the evil option really is the significantly more profitable option?

* Stealing Algernon's cloak.
    * Burgling items (e.g. Potion of Clarity and Star Sapphire in Candlekeep, Wand of Lightning in Beregost).
    * Selling the emeralds you obtained from Prism, rather than turning them in to be returned to their rightful owners.
    * Keeping Unshey's belt, Noralee's gauntlets, and the Golden Pantaloons for yourself.
    * Robbing tombs underneath Candlekeep.
    * Murdering Drizzt.
    * Murdering people for experience or magic items after you've completed their quests (e.g. Kelddath Ormlyr, Ragefast, Lothander).
    * Going to a house, breaking down the door, and murdering the inhabitants to get an awesome magic item for yourself (e.g. Helm of Glory, Ring of Wizardry, Ring of Protection +2, Spear +2).

I think a lot of that I'd argue is only slightly on the chaotic end of the spectrum.

Imoen for example is neutral good but she stole stuff around Candlekeep all the time.
    TressetDaevelonMontresor_SPThacoBell